All Topics / Opinionated! / David Hookes RIP

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I know this isn’t property related, but it’s been gnawing at me all day. I can’t believe David Hookes, former Test cricketer and coach of Victoria, is dead…

It’s probably not even that he’s dead, but more in how he was killed… out having a few beers with the players he coaches, one punch later from a bouncer with too much testosterone, and he’s gone.

Go to http://www.theage.com.au if you have no idea what I’m talking about…

If there is possibly any good to come out of this, then I hope the “crowd control” industry is seriously looked at.

I have crossed paths with Hookesy in the media many, many times, and always found him to be a great bloke, who was always only too happy to have a chat. I feel terrible for his family and friends, and also for the family of the person who punched him… the shame they’ll have to endure I can only imagine.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest… sometimes I can’t believe the injustice of the world we have to live in…

G’night
    r

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Agreed richmond

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

richmond, very sad news in cricket season! [V]

Cheers
    [:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    I want to be billionaire! [;)]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

OMG didnt know he had died? when did that happen , i know about the events leading up to it , but on the news tonite there was no mention of him being dead [xx(]

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

It only happened a couple of hours ago. His life support was turned off. This certainly is a great loss for all sport lovers.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of PhoenixrisingPhoenixrising
    @phoenixrising

Great post Rich

My sentiments also

I feel very sad for all concerned

Australia just took a big step backward

bye

Geoff

Profile photo of bensonbenson
    Participant
    @benson

RIP Hooksey,

Used to love watching you bat.

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

It is very sad and disturbing the manner in which this hero came to his demise. I find it hard to comprehend how I would deal with such a horror.

It makes me thankful that my son is only 2yrs, at least there are few more years before he is allow to let go of my apron. Although that is probably the least of my concerns for him at this age … very sad.

To the Hooks family and friends
    All of our regards and love at this terrible time.

Kind regards
    Leigh K[:(]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

It’s tragic news. Growing up watching Hookesy bat for Australia I feel like I’ve lost a family member.

All sympathy to family, friends and fans.

Nick.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

It is the senselessness that is astonishing. Here’s a guy, at the peak of his professional life, who’s contribution to be life has been snuffed out.

Let’s hope that all those involved are comforted and can find peace.

Thoughts to the family and friends of those affected.

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Going back a few years now….I used to go to the MCG with my girlfriends just to see Hooksey play. He was the best and the blondest [:X] (Warney was too young then).

It is a disgrace for the crowd control industry. Lets just hope that they open their eyes to what goes on, and get rid of the thugs [}:)] that call themselves “security” and take some responsibility for the behaviour of their “staff”.

I hadn’t had the pleasure of meeting him in person like Richmond has, but I’m sure that this loss is really affecting a lot of Australians.

Del

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Sympathies from this side of the Tasman.I never saw Hookes play but from what I’ve heard he must have been a bit of a character. Fancy hitting Tony Grieg for 5 consecutive fours in the Centennial test.

I know how you guys are feeling. NZ went through the same thing last year when our Possum Bourne car rallying guru was killed.
    His car was hit by another car cutting a corner while out reconnoitring a hill climb.
    That driver is now facing prosecution.

Regards

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

it really does make you sick, to think that he was only out to have a few drinks with friends, a bouncer (ONLY 21) decideds to try and “prove” that he is a bouncer by knocking David Hookes out. Which I am sure he didn’t even know who he was, he should have been asking for an autograph [xx(] I hope the crowd control system is looked at, and this bouncer is dealt with in the right way…

RIP David Hookes

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of FatBoyFatBoy
    @fatboy

Rest In Peace Hookesy, seems it’s true that only the good die young… [:(]

I really hope the thug that ran 60 metres to “king hit” Hookesy from behind is proud of his efforts. What a senseless waste of a life… [:(!]
    Hope you spend 20 years in jail you weak bastard…

“I want to be rich, and stupidly happy – so far i’ve only managed to achieve the stupid part…”

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

I haven’t been able to come up with anything to say im speechless on this matter! I remember growing up as a child and looking forwards to Hooksie coming into to bat watching while he was batting then running off again to do what ever I had to do. It was common occurrence here in SA, as we never had alot of Reps at international level. He owned a sports store here in Adelaide at the time also and I remember some of my mates going into to see him and Hooksie apparently took time out for them to which they still don’t forget to this day.

I met him myself, as I got older with my media commitments as he was working with KG on 5AA and he was always outspoken but honest. He will be sadly missed and the world wont be the same with out him.

RIP David Hookes

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

RIP Hookesy.

I grew up as a kid at the time he was playing his cricket. I used to enjoy his batting.

I was also an avid fan of his on 3aw. I used to hear him on the radio at 7:25am a few years ago. I would always listen to him and Gerard Healy at 6pm on the way home from work. I love that radio show. The tribute I heard from gerard Healy and others brought a tear to my eye as i was driving home. I drive past the Beaconsfield Pub every day to work, that place will never be the same to me.

I feel I have lost someone, I grew up with. A bit like Shirley Straun.

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

I had a crush on him when we were both younger and blonder.

This would have been a tragedy if it happened to anyone – that it happened to such a talented, well-known man makes it a double tragedy.

RIP

[:(]

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Profile photo of RealtorRealtor
    @realtor

Really is a tragedy, as well as a pretty sad indictment on the crowd control industry. They all seem to be fuelled on steroids and speed; a pretty heady combination.
    If it is possible for something positive to come from this (which is how Hooksey always looked at life), at the very least an inquiry into the role crowd controllers play in the distribution of drugs in clubs and pubs would be a step in the right direction. Over to the Attorney’s General in all states………….

realtor

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hiya,

When Hooksey’s name was mentioned on radio, I had an overwhelming sense of sadness for the senseless loss of his life.
    If you’d like to send condolences this is the email that has been set up by 3AW
    [email protected]
    I’m sure with this tragic loss, the family could do with all the love and support they can get.

Cheers
    Soosh [:)]

<span style=”color:green”><em><strong>When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously</strong></em></span id=green>

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Just a thought

Some reckon Hooksey was a top bloke cause ‘e smashed the pommie captain greig to the boundary in five successive balls

Others reckon ‘ooksey’s was a legend because he scored a hundred in 34 balls.

But I sincerely believe that he will always be a living legend ’cause he is an organ doner.

Just like me and me mum (though neither of us have keeled over yet!)

So, to anyone on the forum, or in Oz, or in the world, you can have any of my organs when I go (even if you barrack for New zealand in the cricket, or vote for the greens)

The other question is – will you let anyone have yours?

Kindest regards,

Dr Stephens

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.