All Topics / Heads Up! / Today Tonight (Monday)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi Guys

FYI Today Tonight are doing a piece on the ‘severe’ property crash headed our way, I think tonight (monday) as it was advertised yesterday.

Cheers

Sunshine

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

That’s funny, I remember them doing stories only a few months ago about how you could make a fortune in real estate in 5 minutes…

What does this type of story do for Steve’s relationship with TT? Would look weird doing stories on property investing in tandem with property crashes wouldnn’t it?

Anyway, I wouldn’t put any weight at all in a TT story, or an ACA one for that matter… unless the journos/producers themselves actually understood property investing…

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Can a summary of the program be listed for those who will not be able to see it please?

Regards

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

I searched through their website, and I couldn’t find it [?]

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

C’mon, a crash? more like a decline or a steady out of prices for the next few days will be talked about on t.v. There are so many so called experts out there, yet they are only predicting and guessing and on what assumptions are they saying a property crash?

C’mon it takes a lot for a property crash to happen, and if one is to occur, the problem can be mitgated long before one happens.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Well, I guess for those of us who spend a lot of time reading about property, we kind of have an idea about trends, and price movements etc.

This show will target people who don’t spend as much time on here as we do. It probably doesn’t hurt to show different perspectives about how the property market is going.

It might make those who aren’t so savvy a bit more cautious about jumping in and overspending. The mum and dad type investors.

kay henry

Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

Also, this is not news!, they have been saying this about Sydney and Melbourne for a while now.
    Also many EXPERTS said the same about Brisbane CBD units over the last 12 months and what has happened?, it`s continued to grow and the demand is still not being met!.
    Anything can happen, but I don`t think too many would be surprised if prices did fall in Sydney and Melbourne.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi guys

gee i love those guys on TT, never short of a catchy headline, usually the storey doesn’t even match. I will really miss that show[:p]

if however what they say comes to fruition ( a first for TT), someone tell me it might be worth packing up and heading home to invest in OZ again.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

HI Guys,
    Just saw the show, big deal…not much substance as usual.
    Basically, Melb & Syd to drop by 20%, that was Jenman.
    Homeprice guide guy said 3- 5% drop.
    But we won’t really know until Feb/march
    It’s all the investors’ fault.
    Advice given:
    If you want/need to sell, do it in Feb or March or wait a few years!
    If you are going to buy, wait til the end of the year.
    Two buyers claimed to have saved over 10% on their recent purchases due to price drops.
    For further info they said to visit todaytonight.com.au
    They also gave some suburbs that should still do well.
    A bit of a contradiction, “prices dropping, but still buy here!”

Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@still-in-school

Hi Diclem,

I agree, there wasnt too much meat to back up, what they say, one organisation was saying a high percentage or 20% now thats a real drop in market price. There would be more than just a 2 min television coverage. Honestly, prices might decline, in inner city units, but more will steady out and might be a bit slag in time before the prices start to increase rapidly like happend, but not to much to worry about. Interest rates are still relatively low compared to rates much seen long in the past.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Did not see the show (bathing the baby!) but just had a look at the TT website and saw the two stories(I presume) of the people that saved 5 and 10% off their purchases. The one that saved 5% bought a $400,000 property for $380,000. That hardly constitutes a drop in the market, only a bit of negotiating skill. The other was $26,000 reduction (10%) off asking price. If these are what they went on, I hardly think it is cause for widespread panic.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

I have to say that a 10% saving off an advertised price is to be expected really.
    Advertisements for houses that have a definate price usually expect to be talked down anyway.
    Although I must admit there are many more houses in my local paper that are advertised with the actual price quoted. This was barely seen six months ago, they had so-called ranges, i.e. 250+ which meant 300 and something…
    Anyway, bring on the bargains [:)]
    Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

I didnt see TT either. [;)]

We were banking on the prices dropping though. As some of the forumites know…. We sold our country land and residential PPOR last year paid out our bank loans in full.

Then put the profit from combined CG into 2 term deposits of $50K each with $10K sitting in the bank…a total of ~$110K to play with plus interest, and NO debt. [^]

When they announced the increase in interest rates and loan repayments, we thought it would cause many people to sell/refinance to be able to afford the repayments. And long term.. it would be harder to repay a large loan, and property purchases would drop, followed by the drop in demand and more competitive property prices. ..[8)].. Not good news for the many who currently have IPS that are just on the +ve cash flow side, the interest rate rises cuts down on the margains.[:(!]

We are renting at the moment, casually looking at property, for a new PPOR and potential IPs….But we are in no hurry, and we are expecting to rent for about 12 months… [:D]

I guess at the moment we are stepping up though CGs through buying cheap, holding, and selling when the market value increases…. they may be small steps, but in the right direction. LOL [^]

I still think there is a big drop coming… and I dont have crystel balls !… [:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

Why work all your life making someone else rich and not enjoying your own life. [^]

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

I watch TT as the preteen loves home and away and we seem always to be doing the dishes at 6.30. Makes for good discussion/laughs[:D]…but the show reaches a target audience of mums and dads who may not be savvy investors so it is interesting to note how media manipulation can be portrayed.

…but arty, am interested to know why you think there will be a big drop coming, and not just the flattening out as seems to be the general feeling?[:I]
    Sunshine

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

guys, i have started a whole new thread with everything in it, in opinionated

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6901

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of ryanmelryanmel
    @ryanmel

it’s good to watch these news stories, they can affect the market in that the casual investors who don’t want to do the research will act upon the tv and papers and go into buying or selling frenzies as per what they hear. a lot of people will panic. how many ppl have you had conversations with, who are looking at investing, but heard on the news the other day that ….blah blah blah….. just like news stories can affect share prices, same same.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

i don’t follow Jenman much but he’s been sayiong the market will drop for ages, and the market kept going up.

does this guy hate investors or something, we are the course of all ills in the property market, how dare we make offers below the asking price[B)], the more i hear of him the more i shake my head.[V]

bye
    westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of KremanKreman
    @kreman

Hi all

I’m new to all this and I’m only ¼ of my way though Steve’s book so I may not have a hold on this yet. But if there is an increase in interest rates and fewer ppl buying then wouldn’t that mean ppl with rental properties for +ve cashflow get more ppl renting there properties. More demand and so on as the book said ???

Kreman

@still-in-school
    Originally posted by ryanmel:

it’s good to watch these news stories, they can affect the market in that the casual investors who don’t want to do the research will act upon the tv and papers and go into buying or selling frenzies as per what they hear. a lot of people will panic. how many ppl have you had conversations with, who are looking at investing, but heard on the news the other day that ….blah blah blah….. just like news stories can affect share prices, same same.

Hi Guys,

Very much agree with this, there are many people out there, who dont follow the property market on a week to week or month to month bases.

There are many people, who are asking many ifs and buts out there, and the media can really infulence these people. This kind of infulence can cause some market draw backs to new property owners and investors.

But for the whole and many people who follow, should not worry. What were they saying last December? “The Bubble is going to Burst”. Just at the start of this year not even more than 2 weeks ago, many media and reports were producing and predicting, which areas that will have CG and that some places were still yet to double…

who do we trust? [8)]

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

well, sis- the media *does* influence me. I rwead about 4 newspapers each day- and every article i can lay my hands on, about property. One doesn;t have to be a simpleton to be “influenced” by the media. how else are we going to find out about trends in RE unless we read newspapers and watch the news etc.

It’s a bit old-fashioned to not read newspapers or watch the news for fear that various forms of media might take off with our brains! hehe. All the major newspapers are online- the SMH (smh.com.au), the Age, (theage.com.au) the Telegragh (news.com.au) the AFR (afr.com.au), the australian (australian.news.com.au)

A good way to find current news articles is to go to the google.com site, and go to the “news” section of google, and to type in “real estate australia” or whatever. You can find articles that have been written only 9 minutes ago (or even less!)

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.