All Topics / General Property / What is the…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of ProjectProject
    @project

What is the average cost per squre for a builder to build a unit, villa, townhouse etc etc? Just an overall average for their cost? I was told $4500 per square meter. Anyone?

the one im looking at is a 3br brick townhouse (double story) (16sq) and garage (4sq)

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Never looked into it but surely youve got one to many zeros there?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken !

Profile photo of ProjectProject
    @project

I dont belive so, and thx for the responce only 30secs after i posted it :) heehehe
    Anyway near my house, a townhouse for 240k is being sold….the land which i worked out to be 80k and the 16sqm would be (16 x 4500 = $72000) 72k + 80k = 152k
    So from what i know the cost of building this townhouse could be anywhere from 150k to 200k based of very rough figures.

anyone else have any other technique for determining the cost for a builder to build the house? Im not a builder so im not to sure.

Profile photo of NashNash
    @nash

Hi

I was looking into building a duplex on the Gold coast last uear and it was going to cost $850 per square metre. Didn’t quite stack up for me so i didn’t go ahead.

Cheers

Nash

kjr

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Hi again [:D] Your probably right but 16 sqm is 4m x 4m about the size of my bathroom, i was thinking more in the range of 80 sqm ? [?]

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken !

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

I posted pretty much the same topic a couple of days ago. I have been given some pointers and made some enquiries. It seems it is close to $850 a square meter for living areas and about $650 for garaging areas. So a 3 bed/2bth/2car townhouse of 170sqm would be about $130,000 – $140,000.

It also depends on many other factors like access to stormwater, sewerage and the slope of the land. There is also council costs (sometimes up to $25,000) that have to be factored in.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Ask V.O. he’s building 1000 or more in country area

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Risky/Actube

I think Actube is talking about ‘squares’ and Risky is talking about square metres. So a 16 square house is as rugbyfan wrote, probably around 170 square metres.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

also depends what type of house youre putting up! A 2 storey will be more expensive, and what construction the house will be (ie brick n tile or cardboard etc etc) ;)

hehe

[8D]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

How do you know how much to insure your properties for? You need to be insured for the amount that it will cost to rebuild the property in case it burns down.
    I use the guide on the NRMA site that I discovered by accident.
    http://www.nrma.com.au/PremiumEstimates/HomeBldg

May be this is handy to help you calculate the building costs.[:)]

Profile photo of ProcrastinatorProcrastinator
    @procrastinator

This is not something that can be answered as a rule. It depends on what State, building type etc etc. The cost on the Gold Coast would be way different to the cost in Brisbane and the cost in the country could be more or less depending on trades costs which can be higher due to availability. Travel, accomodation and materials transport may need to be factored in.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Hi Actube, Nash, Rugby fan & everyone.

Im also looking at building a set of flats or townhouses in North Queensland. I dont really know where to start but this is my concept using Rugby fans figures for construction and NQLD prices.
    If I can Build 6 x 2*Bed Townhouses for $130k ea = $780k + $80 land (NQLD) $20k pool, + Legals, Council, etc. $20K. total $900k or $150k ea. i could easly resell these for $190k ea. Alternativly with good investors i could sell them off the plan before construction begins [?] if i couldnt get all the finance myself (likly). Do the Maths you could spend $900k building a $1.14M asset (20%equity) and rent them out for possibly a +cflow.

All im trying to say is dont give up[B)]. Succesful investors would might see building units as decent project but not worth their own personal time. If you are time rich & money poor this might just be a big, long but worthwile project. this is something out of most ordinary investors reach ($ & mentaly wise). Anyhow who wants to be ordinary[^].
    Adrian[:)]
    (guys could you post your findings on this topic)

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

A friend of mine, bought two properties side by side to do a development up the coast, with zoning for 8 units. Excellent fitouts etc in each unit (dont know why really, but they say its a selling point) upper storey units to sell for the higher price as we all would figure.

Fully financed etc, they ran into problems laying foundations, then xmas took over and new year, some rain, budget has been blown out. However they envisaged once untis were sold that they would clear over 1 million. Not sure how this is panning out, but there have been some incredible hidden things, not least councils.

I was told $1000 recently for pricing BASIC.

cheers

Elves

Profile photo of archiZEN98archiZEN98
    Participant
    @archizen98

Hi Actube

Just saw your post.

The construction cost ultimately depend on your location and how busy builders are in that area (being in demand = greater profit margin).

Rawlinson is a great source for costing.

In a development workshop I attended earlier this month, we were told, as a very rough rule of thumb (probably for Melbourne), to allow:
    Standard Townhouses: $10,000 – $11,000/Square
    Better Quality Townhouses: $13,000/Square

A Building Square was the old 10 foot x 10 foot
    (= 9.29 square metres).

Hope this helps.

Elves, let us know how your friend got on.

Regards

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I only just now discovered this post.
    This is going to be a long post guys.

Firstly, a house is often described as being (say) 10 squares.

One ‘Square’ (or Building Square) represents an area of 100 square feet.

So if someone talks about a 10 square house that person is talking about a house which is 1,000 square feet (i.e. 10 X 100 square feet).

A 9 square house is therefore the same as a house of 900 square feet. And so on.

To know what a 9 square house represents in square metres all we need to do is divide the number of square feet by 10.89.

Now to calculate it in our head we can use a rough rule of thumb by just dividing the number of square feet by 11 and we will get an answer which is close enough for our purposes.

So, to sum it up : A 8 square house is actually a 800 square feet house (8 X 100 square feet). To get an approximate idea what it is in square metres we divide the 800 by 11 and we get 72.7 square metres.

Not quite correct as the exact answer would really be 73.46 square metres. However, our earlier answer of 72.7 square metres is a reasonably close enough answer.

Mel said : “I think Actube is talking about ‘squares’ and Risky is talking about square metres. So a 16 square house is as rugbyfan wrote, probably around 170 square metres.”

So, to use the example which Mel gave : a 16 square house = 1,600 square feet and by dividing that number by 10.89 we arrive at 147 square metres, not 170 square metres !!

Celivia mentioned that we can use the NRMA website to calculate the building costs.

Be careful as it is impossible to REALLY know what the cost of building is until such time as one gets several firm quotes.

Even then it is a good idea to get many quotes . Why ?

Well, I’ll give a good example why : One project I was involved in I obtained about 18 quotes. Some of the prices I received were (approximately ) as follows : $ 270K , $ 335K, $ 540K

Quite a difference isn’t it. Why such a difference ? Well, sometimes a builder is busy and doesn’t bother to work it out properly so he just supplies a what he knows is a ludicrous quote.

He is basically hoping that the only other quotes (if any) also are silly prices. If he gets the job he will fit it in his busy schedule. If he misses out it doesn’t matter much as he is very busy anyway.

If one is just starting out and doesn’t know any better one may reason ‘To play safe I’ll get three quotes rather than one’ .

Now if one is unlucky and finishes up with three ridiculous quotes like say $ 460 K,
    $ 480 K and $ 540 K we may reason ‘The $ 540K is obviously too high. The builder who quoted $ 460K is probably doing a sloppy job so I’ll go with the one in the middle, the
    $ 480K quote.

All the while, if one had actually obtained a lot of quotes one may have finished up getting someone to build it for say $ 270K instead of $ 480K. Quite a difference isn’t it ?

Elves tells the story about some friends who ran into all kind of problems (problems in laying the foundations, holiday breaks, rain delays, council delays – the work doesn’t progress though the interest meter keeps ticking over).

Do builders/developers avoid such things ?

No of course, they too experience such mishaps but ……………….. they allow for it
    in their costings. It is called ‘Contingencies’ i.e. a built in margin for unexpected problems and events.

Adrianne, are you telling me that you can buy a block of land in North Queensland, suitable for 6 townhouses for a mere $ 80 K ?

Archizen sums it up very well when he said : “The construction cost ultimately depend on your location and how busy builders are in that area (being in demand = greater profit margin)”.

He also says : “Rawlinson is a great source for costing.”

Whatever publication one uses to get an idea of the building costs, keep in mind that the only way to get a valid idea of the construction cost is by obtaining actual quotes.

Pisces

Profile photo of archiZEN98archiZEN98
    Participant
    @archizen98

Good post Pisces.

It was recommended to me to use a contingency figure of 2% if you are confident of your costings and 5% if you are not.

Regards

ArchiZEN

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi i’ve got a friend who gets houses built for him in the ballarat area for $650 per sq meter and he does the finishing painting etc. genearlly it will cost $800- 1000 depending on the quality of the fittings etc, obviously a large home with open living ares will be cheaper per sq than a town house with 2 bthroom and small living areas.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I havent spoken to my friend about thier units yet.

As for my own project. In was going to build on a block of land. I asked two architects for plans, one cost 1800 the other 1000, for concepts and some searches on first.

Environmental issues, council restrictions, add further to costs. The costs were based on a three bedroom home with kitchen lounge and some balcony area, single story, around 250k to build, not including fittings!!! or fitouts.

ouch

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Ouch.

You can say that again Elves.

$ 250 K

How big was the house ?

How many quotes did you obtain ?

Pisces

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni

was talking to a builder
    couple of weeks ago
    10000 to 11000 square metre
    to lock up

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.