All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Moving Property into a Family Trust

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of OrionOrion
    @orion

Hello,

We have recently created a Family trust through which we bought a positively geared property.

The problem is that we want to move our current property in which we live in into the trust and rent the property back from the trust.

I know that if we move our house in to the trust, we will be required to pay land tax every year, but I think that the benefits of the extra deductions on repairs, interest paid etc will make it worthwhile.

The question is:

Is there a way to move our home into the trust cheaply? Like gifting it, or something like that.

Also, if anyone knows of an good accountant in Canberra who they would recommend for dealing with trusts (Family/Hybrid), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Chris

You will have to pay stamp duty on this, as well as legal fees. Also bear in mind that you will have to charge yourself market rent, and therefore after a number of years the rent will exceed the interest and the trust will be making a profit. Depending on who you distribute to, extra tax may be payable where otherwise you wouldn’t. Also you lose your PPOR CGT exemption.

SO carefully weigh up all the positives and the negatives before you do this. It may still be worth it?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of snowboardersnowboarder
    Participant
    @snowboarder

Hi

i do not know the answers to your questions but do you think it is a wise move moving your residence into the trust ?

doing so you will give up your right to no CGT, if you ever wish to sell that place. if you do not put it in the trust you do not have to pay cgt when you sell. as it is your principle place of residence PPOR.

maybe others can help you with your questions

Profile photo of OrionOrion
    @orion

Hello,

Thank you for your replies. :)

I guess I should have also added the fact (you always things of things after you write the post) that in a couple of years we plan to rent the house out and move into another house and so I wanted the house to become ready to become an investment property.

Thanks

Kind reagrds,

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.