All Topics / Finance / HECS + loans

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of happytracehappytrace
    @happytrace

As a student with a (VERY) significant HECS debt that I have to look forward to, do banks and lenders take this into account when calcualting how much money you can borrow?
    Thanks in advance
    Tracey
    [:D]

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Hi Tracey

The HECS debt will actually reduce your net pay as your employer will be required to deduct HECS monies each pay. This will affect your serviceability and therefore borrowing capacity.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Happytrace,

The banks will take your HECS debt into account, though i wouldnt be to worried about this, if your HECS debt is being payed off at a very low marginal, it may not be much significant loss against your earnings.

Though i think 6% out of the earnings is the most you have to pay if your on the highest tax threshold.

Though they are increasing the threshold on how much you have to earn before you have to pay your HECS back, so your HECS repayment could even be slightly less everyweek, which will be good and serve in your favour.

Cheers,
    sis

Though seriously i wouldnt be too worried about it.

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of uncivilizeduncivilized
    @uncivilized

I justed purchased my first IP and I also have a large HECS debt, not once was I asked about my HECS by either my mortgage broker or the bank. I think the banks may just look at your after tax income.

matthew

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have never had a loan that didn’t service purely due to the HECS debt.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.