Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of pricedrpricedr
    Participant
    @pricedr

During the next tax calender year I will be overseas. My only income will be my current PPOR that I will rent out. Do any of you know wheter I still need to do a tax return from overseas? I’m confused as apparently you become a non resident after being away for more than two years. But what about prior to being away for 2 years, do you see how it’s a bit confusing.

If I do which I suspect is so, my expenses will be greater than the rent I earn. Can I delay this tax deduction till when I return?

Thanks, Dave

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

An Australian Tax Return will be required. Losses on the property are quarantined as a carried forward loss that will be offset against the income you first earn when you return to Australia. So try to make your first year a full financial year so you can utilise the losses in the maximum tax bracket. If your intention is to be gone for 2 years and you set up a home overseas you are a non resident for tax purposes from the minute you leave which has many ramifications. You may even be considered a non resident for tax purposes if you go for only 6 months. If you send me your e-mail address I will send you our overseases booklet.

[email protected]

Profile photo of pricedrpricedr
    Participant
    @pricedr

thanks (again) Julia. Have sent you my email address so let me know if you haven’t received it,

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.