Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    <<post edited>>

You have been asked not to post in this manner which is sacastic and offers no constructive criticism. This kind of negative post offers nothing to the community. -Admin

May be it is a good idea to see what’s Bec trying to post

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Chan,

I think one of the good things about the format of this new forum is that one can private message people. I think Rebecca wouldn’t mind if you pvt msg’ed her to ask her what she had written.

I find having accessible contact with people to be healthy. It means you can discuss with them the issues that are unable to be discussed on here.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

kay henry

I forget about that, Thanks. will do it now.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of MonkeybamMonkeybam
    @monkeybam

I was not thinking of the wrapers rather those who had been wrapped. they paid a high price for the property (If it is theirs) and are paying a high rate of interest. Often working in unsecure jobs which traditional means would not give finance. These jobs may be lost unable to keep up payements the “wrap” may fall in a heap especially if those wrapped feel their hose is not worth what they are paying (A fall in the market) The property goes back to the wrapper, I would think in poor condition (annoyed feeling ridded off people rarely take good care of things) then unable to rent it out as it is the wrapper has to renovate and rent it out or sell at a reduced rate in a poor market.[V] I guess that is why they charge a preiminum to the wrapee who eventually ends up a loss in this instance.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

“8 years of 15-20% CG’s p.a.”

I’m going to only buy positive CF properties for a while until growth happens again. let’s say that is 4 years away (halving the length of the property cycle.)

So i’m aiming for 8 years of 15-20 percent cashflow yields, instead. (And did i mention my property managers advised me to raise the rent 10 per week in line with the market (Dolf de roos says that rents keep pace with inflation) – so the 20 percent yielding property i bought in May last year is already showing
    a 22.8 percent return, in less than 9 months. if the rent rises @ $10 per week every year, then in year 5 it will be a 28 percent return. 30 percent in year six…it’s way past a free house by that point. Then in year seven, we may have had three years of growth, not to mention inflation.
    I’m sure my 27K house will be worth 80K by then.

fight the negativity.

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

mini,

I reckon you’ll find that rents move like (but not necessarily with) house prices, some years they will increase, some they will stay the same and sometimes they may even decrease. Long term they they probably do go up with inflation but short term many other factors will have an effect.

I wouldn’t count on $10 per week every year.

regards,

Rod.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

it’s good tosee the health discussion taking place.

Like Pisces i have trouble with House only comment about a bust,

While stockmarket go up and down 30% is common this is not the case with property. First of all there is not one market but many markets in real estate. So it is not really correct to talk of the market. but overall the market historically DOES NOT CRASH. Lets look at the Melbourne market and see the facts (not the urban myths that go around). And a large city and not what some little market like Canberra.
    In 1985 the median price was 89k it went up every year till it peaked in 1989 at 167k, the next six years it went basically sidewards dropping to a low of 152k in 1992. By 1996 it was off again from 163K till today about 350k (i don’t have that stat in front of me). These figure are from Landata Vic Gov. So the market does not crash historically speaking.
    Now housesonly you are correct that this is a huge boom, bigger than others so what will the result be ??
    If houseonly is right? Gee a 30% decline is a real bust, it will destroy people (financially) if that was to happen. If i belived it would drop 30% i’d sell for sure and buy back later. Say if you portfolio is worth 2 million a 30% drop is $600,000. i’d sell and buy back at bargain prices ready for the next boom. By the way houseonly a 30% drop would send Melbourne prices back to prices of the year 2000.
    regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

@rodc

westan,

My own experiences of Melbourne agree with your assessment.

We bought our first house in Melbourne for $84K in 1987. It was probably worth about $125K a couple of years later. It was sold in 1996 for $110K and would now be worth around $220K. This was a typical 3br suburban home.

Certain segments of the market may have seen a 30% drop but there wasn’t 30% falls across the whole market. I can see a few years of sideways movement and some “downward drift” but without some major external event I think across the board massive drops are unlikely.

regards,

Rod.

Profile photo of brownrabbitbrownrabbit
    Participant
    @brownrabbit

Hi everybody,
    These are certainly very interesting times. I know for myself, if i am unsure about something my best strategy is not to act but sit back and watch and learn .
    Which is why i love this site so much . I do have a few thoughts as to my next move though ….
    one strategy i am considering at the moment is to temporarily get out of IPs, by selling my 3 IP’s, (just sold first one with a $103,000 gain) , and OWNING outright my new PPOR, which even in this market has good CG potential . Like a few other forumites have commented I also think that high end quality properties will defy a big marke shift , if and when it happens.
    Then, from this point, i will buy more +ve IP’s which ARE still out there if you know where and how to look .
    I think there is one thing we can bet on , we are coming into a buyer’s market , so more +ve IPs are going to be out there.
    Then i will do what i know best, “smart renovating” thus adding CG and insuring maximum rent and rentability. I personally enjoy the challenge of turning an “ugly duckling” into a swan, having a design background and building skills makes buying IPs easier as i see potential that others may not .

Anyway , just thought i would put in my 2 cents worth ….. cheers
    RABBIT

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

Westan
    The stats you have shown may apply to the whole of Melbourne and for particular timeframes. Please understand that nature of statistics is that with the correct subset of data one can probably show any effect or justify any argument one likes. I like stats but feel thaw without a good volume of data over a prolonged time, one doesn’t get a proper idea of the trends. The fact that stats can also be manipulated are also a worry. These stats that you are seeing do not show the real effect of inflation, interest rates etc over these periods of time. These other factors had a very direct affect on the value and affordability of property at the time.

Let me explain. If one were to have bought a home at the median price in Melb. in 1989 for $167K and one bought a property which for whatever reason was more affected by the downturn through to 1995 one may have actually seen a decrease in value to say $120K which is a 28% decline. This could have been quite common at that time. Furthermore, if interest rates during this period rose to say 18% and inflation was running at say 5% (not sure these are realistic) then this would influence the value of property as well, but that is another topic.

The point I am making is that sure the whole market in Melbourne may not drop 30% but there will be a significant number of properties that do. This really means be very careful about what properties you own or buy at this time. If you feel that your IP’s are not likely to be as affected (due to scarcity etc) then you may only see a 5% decline or even prices just stagnate for some years. However if you feel that you are in a low demand area with high supply (maybe far from the CBD) it may be time to sell up now and avoid the potential 30% drop in that area or that particular property.
    It is however not easy for most people to look at their own properties and make this kind of subjective value assessment.

My advice right now is that if buying, unless the property has some amazing attributes such as being on absolute waterfront etc, then do not buy at the asking price. Pay well below the asking price (say 20-30% less) and you will be able to ride through the worst-case scenario downturn. Remember to factor in 2% increase in interest rates to be on the safe side as well.

@westan

Hi houses only

yes i know what you are saying but remember that your example didn’t actually happen inMelbourne because propertyies purchased at 167 in 1989 only went down to 152k yes still a drop but no were near 28%. Sure the occasional house this may have happened but the Median price was only down 9%. remember that if some went down by 28% other still went up to get a 9% decline. I am not saying that this is a good outcome owning a house for 6 years to see it worth 9% less is very bad news in my books, Sadly though its the ones who sold in 1995 who missed out on the massive rise about to hit. RodC’s example typifies this ( i know rod is a successful investor and he would have reinvested back into the market) its the ones who left the market completly that missed out.

Anyway my point is that the market has not seen a 30% decline like you tip and talk of a crash (unless you see 10% as a crash) as if it is a historical event in property in not true.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Participant
    @housesonly

What qualifies as a bust? Does 10% qualify or does it need to approach 20% before it is termed a bust?

Others input would be appreciated.

@rodc

Just to clarify, the example I used was our PPOR. We upgraded in 1996. The house we upgraded to has doubled in value since then. I don’t expect it to drop 30%.

regards,

Rod.

Participant
    @housesonly

btw – my opinion of a bust is when prices drop by more than 10%. If one buys well, one can easily handle a drop of 10% especially if it is over a few years. But when drops of 15-20% occur this is likely to start affecting the yield as rents start to decline accordingly even though the rent to selling price relationship is not one that tracks in a constant and linear fashion.

Participant
    @housesonly

Westan
    yeah sure we may not have seen corrections in the range that I am tipping between now and 1989 (too small a sample anyway – imo), but we also have not seen the type of frenzied buying and the much bigger resultant boom that has happened in the last 8 years. The market will always return to equilibrium and at the moment it is very much out of equilibrium. As I said before, even if the correction was as dramatic as 30% this would still not get the market back to equilibrium, so that should really make the “nothing can dent the property market” camp think a little!

@westan

Hi all

housesonly, i’m not sure what the definition of a bust is, but certainly not 10%. the stockmarket moves up and down by that amount every year and its not a bust. If the market went to 3000 points unless it happened overnight it would never be considered a bust. Likewise a 10% increase in my opinion is not a boom. i don’t know if there is an official definition but clearly the tech stock bust was a Bust.
    regards westan

@westan

Sorry Houses

i meant to say yes i agree this frenzie in australia is a real big one, we are in unchartered territory.

westan

Profile photo of LeighLeigh
    @leigh

My thoughts are that if a decrease in property values exceeds the short term growth the area has experienced then you would class it as a bust. What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

My example would be, somewhere that has increased in 40% over 12 months and then decreases by 20% surely couldn’t be classed as a bust because the net effect is still a 20% increase.

This would most likely be caused by properties being overvalued in a sellers market. Therefore the value decrease might be better seen as a price correction rather than a bust in my opinion. If this is the case, then much like a share investor values a company, a property investor should be able to see when an area is undervalued, overvalued – or heading that way, and either a) take advantage of that, or b) invest somewhere else. If the prices fell below their short term values then I’d be looking at is as a bust.

I think there’s even more to look at than just the market (or markets within the market) also. The situation of the individual investor is crucial to how they are affected in the event of negative growth. i.e. An investor who bought 10 years ago using a buy & hold strategy will most likely have a much different opinion to someone who just bought 5 off-the-plan properties with the intention of on-selling them in 12 months! Investor 1 rides the tide of the property cycle, investor 2 speaks to a solicitor regarding his bankruptcy options!!

Leigh

Participant
    @housesonly

Leigh
    Just a small point which is quite significant in the whole argument.

Your example “somewhere that has increased in 40% over 12 months and then decreases by 20% surely couldn’t be classed as a bust because the net effect is still a 20% increase.”

This is in fact incorrect. The correct statement should read ”somewhere that has increased in 40% over 12 months and then decreases by 20% surely couldn’t be classed as a bust because the net effect is still a 12% increase.” NB not a 20% increase.

Sorry to be so anal but this is an import piece of maths and one that too many are getting wrong.

I agree with your other points about the long-term view as opposed to the speculative view.

Profile photo of RetRet
    Participant
    @ret

What would you suggest to a first time prop investor looking at investing in a 1 bed unit in east suburbs…expected retnal yield is 5.3% (i.e. -‘nve gearing) but with depn on building there should be only a small gap to finance myself. Would you hold off to later in 2004 and look for the bargains or get in now with a view to hold for the longer term?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.