All Topics / General Property / 15K house- is this aussie’s cheapest?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

To answer the question literally, Jan Somers’ ‘Story by Story’ has an account of someone buying a house at an auction for $100.

Only problem was that the successful bidder had to arrange it to be transported and stumps put in ; )

But if you want the land as well, Norseman WA not a bad place with $15k houses advertised on the web. Nullarbor Plain at your doorstep!

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Wayne..

Worries me when a “heap” of properties come onto the market in some of these smaller towns, like maybe the locals know something..?

Hmmmmmmm..

Peterp

saw a property listed in..now where is it
    maybe Kurabin or such, searched whereis, zoomed out and out, and out, and out, moving west and looking for blue.. must be middle of Nullabor [:0)]

How are you doing.. much of interest of late ?

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

quote:

I can’t do 15 000 but how about 35 000 with tenants paying 120 a week. Under Offer but there is more in the same town for between 20 and 35 000 each. Is a small town (Pop around 600) but is a gold mining town and also fairly good tourist trade, I’m led to believe no problem to find tenants. Anyway heres the link for those interested.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=mount+magnet&a=qfp&t=res

Wayne

Mount Magnet is a gold mining town with most of the miners flown in from other towns. I did a bit of due diligence on this town b4 Christmas and decided that although the houses were mostly positive geared, the fact that the gold mine has probably only a 5 year life now, it is not worth it. In fact the owners of the mine, Harmony (a Sth Af. company) wanted to close it a few years ago. The tourism you talked about it not really that big.

I talked to the local newspaper (even got on the mailing list), school teachers, local businesses and the local council to establish some idea of the place.

I know the agent owns property there too. It will be in her best interest to get a better price for the vendors and as the last 12 months of sales in MM have not been all that flash, I would be careful about paying too much.

There is also some streets you do not want to buy in, but some better ones too. The crime rate is not that low as there is stuff all to do for the youth in town.

If you do go in, good luck. My advice though is to stay clear unless they discover a new gold deposit somewhere nearby.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Kay

I was recently driving through Goulburn NSW and stopped for lunch and browsed the agents windows, out of 4 agents one had one for sale picture and it was miles out of town, all the rest said sold.

So maybe we aren’t the only ones struggling to find properties.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Leigh,

I know what you mean- and I was in Goulburn on Sunday too- nuttin’ there to speak of in the RE windows, as you said :o(

I’m thinking the strategy is to buy from ads in the newspapers- the “private sale- no agents” one. Sometimes I think it’s probably better to negotiate with owners directly. I always find it interesting – the “no agents” thing- I wonder what the agents did to them!

kay henry

Profile photo of WAFWAF
    @waf

Rugbyfan,
    yep you are probably right and have done the research. I was also informed yest that it is a bit of a dying town. For those intsted though and I haven’t yet done the research I hear the karratha/Roebourne area with the new Burrup peninsula project has 200K houses renting for about 450 a week (long term). And one which also should be considered is Hopetoun with BHP final stages of approval for a 25 year mine 25 kilometres from town (only got the info yesterday) apparently there are some nice places with ocean river views. Anyway some food for thought, happy hunting.

wayne[:)]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Shame that…after a quick search, BHP is not in Hopetoun Victoria [:(]
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

yeah sue im assuming its in NSW

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Bear,
    Didn’t look too closely, but I think it is actually in WA
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Just spent some time with a friend who lives in Karratha and has done so for 15 years , his opinion is its getting harder to sell there now as its turning to more of a fly in and fly out now instead of using mostly locals . Just something to think about as i was also looking into these areas.

I thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken !

Profile photo of coreyJcoreyJ
    Participant
    @coreyj

I’ve just got back from a driving trip from Melbourne to brisbane saw a half decsent house for $15000 central NSW only a short drive from a sizeable well known rural town,however population is only 1500.I thought that was extremely cheap for area.

Cheers

CoreyJ

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

hmmm I was thinking of Karratha but these comments are making me think twice.

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.