All Topics / General Property / 15K house- is this aussie’s cheapest?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Check this out. Thought discouraged newbies (and oldbies) and home reno types might be interested in this one. Shows that there’s still land and bricks and mortar available. Whilst queenstown, tassie, ain’t monaco, no doubt this place might be able to be cash pozz-
    *if* one could find a tenant.

Obviously I don;t have some personal interest in this place- sheesh- just thought it is interesting to see what’s out there ;) And it’s 15K!

kay henry

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry
    Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Kay Henry,

thats dam cheap, but the cheapest, ive seen was 13k sold this year. And the property was a brand new 2 bedroom brick home, used for flying in and out miners.

and just missed the opportunity by minutes….dam

cheers,
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I wonder what ‘a looooot of work’ really means? That it’s about to fall off the hill?[:O]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Wow, I’ll take four!!!
    Just kidding,
    Not bad for a holiday house though, paid more for my last car [:)]
    Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi Kay

If this were the property I think it is, I wouldn’t consider purchasing unless prepared to live there and do the work yourself. However, if some one knows of some one near by that can do the work, that would be different.

Regards Bear

@diclem

Working on the 11 sec rule, the rent would only need to be $30 a week!
    Of course, it doesn’t really work at this price as the rates are probably more than the yearly interest bill [:O]
    Sue[:)]

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

15K is pretty cheap. I like the story that was in the Sydney Telegraph a few years ago, a bloke in downtown Broken Hills purchased a property after much negotiating to a level where after negotiations exchanged his first home buyers grant for the property. There must be a few cheap ones still out there

Spider

Participant
    @bear1964

Rates approx 1200 per year water and council

@diclem

Why are rates so high in small country towns? I find it quite amazing.
    Sue [:)]

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

Guys if you cant find tenants the home is worthless unless you want to live there.
    It could easily cost you money and headaches with little prospects of CG.

Participant
    @bear1964

Well its sold anyway guys and it was the house im thinking of. It was sold in about 30 minutes of being on the net. Some one that wants to live in it. Would have been a great house after spending around 10-20k on it, still a cheap house. Any big renovation jobs in Queenstown unless u have someone lined up to do it, it’s just not worth it as it will take a long time to get done with the labour available there. Great place for a young family to move to tho I reckon ;)

Regards Bear

Profile photo of PT_BearPT_Bear
    @pt_bear

Rates are directly used for maintaining roads etc. If the population is small, rates may have to be high to support the upkeep of services in the area.

My observation has also been that rates in smaller country towns are significantly higher than the capitals.

@kay-henry

Bears,

It says it is a new listing on realestate.com.au. And it is still advertised on the original RE’s site. might be a different one? or perhaps new listings might best be not taken literally. I know RE.com is pretty slow though :+/

kay henry

Participant
    @bear1964

Kay

I don’t know why agents do this but I know for a fact some houses are sold b4 they even get on the net. That was the case for the house I purchased in Queenstown and others I saw while there that were sold, but put on the net a week or so later. I also know the house next to the one I purchased is going up for sale shortly ;) and I KNOW that will be very cheap. Possibly even less then $15,000.

This house you refer to was sold this morning I have been informed, and yes it was a new listing, but I was informed while I was in Queenstown that it may be going on the market soon.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Bear

Do you want to do some reno work for a “reno fee”?[;)] Cause I’ll buy em if you’ll reno em!

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of WAFWAF
    @waf

I can’t do 15 000 but how about 35 000 with tenants paying 120 a week. Under Offer but there is more in the same town for between 20 and 35 000 each. Is a small town (Pop around 600) but is a gold mining town and also fairly good tourist trade, I’m led to believe no problem to find tenants. Anyway heres the link for those interested.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=mount+magnet&a=qfp&t=res

Cheers[:)]
    Wayne

Participant
    @bear1964

Thanks for the offer Leigh, but honestly if I was in a position to do that im sure I would have found the money to buy them. Although im considering purchasing the house coming up for sale next to my other property. It only needs basic Reno’s but smells to hi heaven, I think the house was used as a indoors farm……..LOL WE have been considering moving there tho.

Thanks again but if we move we may just be able to help out if im not too busy doing my stuff…….LOL, having said that I have enough on my plate this end at the moment, and working on other demographic areas at present.

Great opportunity for any unemployed builders wanting a working holiday tho ;)

Regards Bear

@kay-henry

Wayne,

I notice a lot of those “under offer/under contract” ones when I look at houses in broken hill, nsw. Makes me wonder how long they’ve been sold for. Some RE’s only seem to have “sold” houses and no “for sale” ones!

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.