All Topics / Opinionated! / Broadband or not to broadband

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Matt

All booked in today , get it monday week.

Thanks again

Bear[:D]

Profile photo of LloydDebLloydDeb
    @lloyddeb

Hi all,
    I’m in the Wireless internet biz, so know a little bit about broadband (BB) and the internet.

Like Mel, I use Zone Alarm as a Firewall at home. Anyone on Broadband should have some form of Firewall protection, as with BB, your computer is “always on” the internet, and hackers can access your computer. You can get Zone Alarm for free from CNET, along with a ton of other free software
    http://www.download.com/?tag=cnetfd.sb

and search for Zone Alarm.

If you want to buy computer products, or networking stuff, check out:
    http://www.buyquick.com.au/shop/default.asp (Cheapest online in Aus)

Department: Home / Computer Hardware / Networking Products

I use a Netgear Wireless Router to connect me to the internet. The Optus BB cable comes in to the house, to the Netgear Router, a Cable goes to the Home PC, and I log on to the internet via a Wireless card in my Laptop from anywhere around the house, with no cables. If you are using a Laptop, Wireless internet access is cheap and very effective. Not complicated at all. Dead easy to install, plus I can surf the net and check emails at many coffee shops during the day.

And I know you have already selected Telstra Bear, but they have the most down times of all the BB suppliers. In November, Telstra had to pay rebates to 000’s of customers who were offline for over a week. Optus, Pacific Internet and iPrimus are the top 3 BB providers, ranked by Uptime, (ie minimal downtime) and speed of access. Ihug – http://www.ihug.com.au/ have also got a really good Statellite BB service as well.

Good Luck with Telstra………..

Lloyd

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi Lloyd,

I thought wireless was very expensive?

How far does it go if it allows u to travel to a cafe and still use it?

I am currently using sygate, too many hackers have told me that zone alarm is the easiest firewall to get thru, I have no idea if this is true or, they could be full of it…………LOL

As for the rest I have a bit more to learn I think before I can understand it completely.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Hi Bear,

I think Lloyd is referring to wireless LAN (which is now cheap), not wireless internet. I’m guessing he just plugs in normally whne he’s at the cafe (I’m sure he’ll correct this if I’m wrong).

With regards to firewalls, many of the broadband routers have got hardware firewalls built in, something else to investigate. I’ve got one and have ZoneAlarm as well, but nothing gets thru the router to the ZoneAlarm.

regards,

Rod.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

hehe.. Come on guys! stop being so stereotypically nerdy!

Sorry Mel- i made you an honorary guy- just one of the boys [:I]

Oh alright then- BE nerdy! you know you love it :)

kay henry

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Oops- not nerdy- I meant geeky! [:P]

kay henry

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Don’t worry Kay, this topic went over my head a long time ago. I only went looking for the intrusions thing cos SIS mentioned it, and I have no idea how it all works as my friend built the computer for me and set it all up!![:I]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

oooh Bear1964 id forgotten people outthere are still on slow dial up :( How can you stand it, ill never go back to dialup connection. I Have and recommend Telstras cable connection and also have just changed plans to there unlimited plan for $69.95. I was on there $75 3 gb download but with gst its around $83 . The only catch is its a 2 year contract with there new plan but that doesnt bother me as im not expecting to ever go back to dialup [:D]

I thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken !

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

It interesting that you say that Risky, there are a lot of people who, are pay $83/month, for the 3Gb download, and they are not aware of the new plans that telstra have released. This is where they plan to make there money. SO YOU PPL WHO HAVE TELSTRA CABLE YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED

Just to clear up a few things flying around.

quote:

many of the broadband routers have got hardware firewalls built in

True, the one that tesltra is giving with the package at the moment, does have a built in firewall.

quote:

I am currently using sygate, too many hackers have told me that zone alarm is the easiest firewall to get thru, I have no idea if this is true or, they could be full of it…………LOL

Not true, Zone Alarm Pro, is one of the safest firewalls for your computer, the standard one that is part of Windows XP, will sometimes conflict with your internet, mainly broadband. I have had Zone ALarm Pro for a fair while and have no problems. Telstra highly recommend this product.

I have found a review on the product if your interested in reading it.

http://www.reviewbooth.com/zone-alarm-pro.html

Wireless LAN, is now very cheap, I think i saw you mention somewhere you had a home network, so therefore you would already have a hub/switch in the house. If its already setup then i would say no, don’t bother with wireless, but if you feel its necessary, of you want it, then yes its a great idea.

Hope this helps Bear [:D]

Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of chefmanchefman
    Participant
    @chefman

I ma on wireless and it is so quick!! The cost to set up is around 600 and for me its $39.95 per month with unlimited download with no time outs or anything like that. Just turn on the computer and thats it. Worth considering

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Harvey Norman had a special deal on – subscribe to Telstra bigpond broadband, and get a free XBox!

I love my $69.95/mth unlimited download broadband connection. Everything’s really fast, I can post replies really quickly, never have to worry about getting disconnected, and I’m going to get hooked up to XBox Live! soon.

The other great thing is that I can download the entire HALO2 preview movie that was shown at E3 2003! Woohoo! Go Master Chief!*

Cheers
    Elysium-M

*for those HALO fans on the forum, you can download this from http://www.gamers.com/game/1216284/

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

how does that work chefman?

Profile photo of fiby30fiby30
    @fiby30
    Originally posted by Still in School:

Hi Bear1964,

If you do decide to go with TPG or any ISP, where ever you go or choose to connect your ADSL, either be at home or somewhere else. Make sure the person telephone lins is a digital connection.

In doing so, as long as the person telephone line or where ever you connect, is Digital. Your laptop will recieve DSL connection.

You are a man of many talents SIS.

Unfortunately there is more to it than just being digital. The line must be ADSL enabled at the Telstra exchange.

In addition you can only use your broadband account with your telephone line. It is a point to point service as opposed to a roaming service such as dial up.

If any one wants more info on Broadband, get in touch([email protected]) I have been selling and installing internet products for the last few years and would be glad to help!

Darren

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.