All Topics / Opinionated! / Broadband or not to broadband

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Greetings all

I am thinking my searches on the net would be less frustrating if I had broadband, not to mention much faster. However on a limited budget im searching for a cheap (but not nasty) server. Another advantage would be my landline would be free to make calls and receive calls.

The question I am asking from any experienced people out there are, what speed should I go to and what servers are cheap enough but not nasty?

Regards Bear the Broadband Virgin

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

haha bear,

k, can u pls tell me ur budget, and where u live???

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi Matt

Salisbury area South Australia

Well to be honest matt, it’s about juggling a few things, so my priority is to get a reasonable to good service at the lowest possible rate. I’m told its not worth wasting my time going to 256 as it always run slower anyway, as low as 64, not much faster then a 56k modem, is that true? So im thinking 512 is the go.

So I guess what im doing is trying to do is find the service suitable and see if what I can juggle to suit that plan. Like work out what I need to go with out to start it up and maintain it. Not much left to go with out tho ……….LOL, But I’m thinking the giving up of the fags again , mite just cover it. Be good if I had some money left over to ………….LOL Lets say approx $50 per month. I know i will also lose my access on the net on my laptop anywhere in australia unless i keep some sort of dial up plan.[:(]

I hope that makes sense?……LOL

Regards Bear

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Bear1964,

Im currently using TPG ADSL 256/64kbs for my Laptop. Not bad at all, getting the full speed as well.

They offer unlimited access and unlimited downloads for $69.95 a month.

And seriously, i download 24/7 hours a day (lots of movies, software, music LAN games)continously and since the connection, had no distrubtions or disconnections.

Have had Telstra Broadband Cable, with the 512kbs ($89.95 a month), problem is, only have a 3 gig limit and after that i encur charges.

Depends what you want, but ive found TPG ADSL, works great with the laptop.

cheers,
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

SIS, I really feel old reading some of your posts, and I’m only 28.[:(]

With both my Dad and me using our Telstra connection, we’re lucky if we get anywhere near our 1 Gig limit – mostly we make it to just on 500 Mb!![:)] Which costs us $75 or something (with a discount for having Telstra as our long distance carrier).

Cheers
    Mel

@still-in-school

Hey Melbear,

lol, wait till you see, what i use to get with my dial up connection,

lol seriously, was downloading an average of 11 gigs a month. These days, not sure how much, but on average burning 1 or so cds a day just to keep, plenty of hardrive space available.

lol.. Its all dam Kazaa and DivX fault for all those many downloads.

If you ever want a movie, just ask… can download and whip a copy up for you.

cheers,
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

@still-in-school

Oh i forgot,

If you do, do live video conference and voice chatting, you be better off to get a minimal 256/64 kbps speed limit, but also if you are using broadband… you should get in place a firewall protection and some pop up and ad killers in place, spy sweepers, live virus scanning and other security protection utilities.

Just for statistical data. On my ADSL connection, have had 429,903 intrustion attempts stopped by firewall. 19,523 of them have been high rated attacks.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

We’ve got Zone Alarm Pro which my friend installed when he built me the computer.

Just looking at it now it says 409 intrusions blocked, 218 have been high rated.

Guess I’m not on the net as often as you SIS!

We’ve got PC Cilin which checks all emails etc., and we don’t get pop ups, but if we go to sites like ebay we get errors instead!! I don’t understand computers, so I don’t know what is causing it.[:(]

Cheers
    Mel

Participant
    @bear1964

would i still be able to dial up with broadband anywhere if i set it up on my laptop to? Maybe i should only use a laptop.hmmmmmmm i have a home network here for my and the kids

Regards Bear

@still-in-school

Hi Bear1964,

You should be able to still connect anywhere as long as, your service provider deals in that area. Though if you do decide to go ahead with a DSL connection, you do have to remember it shares a telephone line. In which the signal used in a ADSL connection is digital, were as a normal dial-up connection is analogue.

Depending on how your home LAN is set up, you can either directly connect the internet through your home computer that is acting as a server. Or have the internt connected to a USB modem via USB Hub, were each node(computer) will be able to have its own direct access. Thus meaning just plug and play connections to the internet.

But if you are on the go, just purchase a WAP fone instead. Ideally you can send emails from your wap fone as litte as 10 cents from some Mobile Network Providers.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

[:O][:O]

YEh.. Well, we’ll definetly let S.I.S handle that question !!

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of summosummo
    @summo

Hi Bear, Try Adam Internet in Adelaide, they have different plans to suit differing usage at reasonable setup & ongoing rates. Regards Summo

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

hi Bear,

I’m using swiftel 256/64 and am very pleased, but unfortunately for you they don’t cover SA.

Have a read of http://whirlpool.net.au/ they’ve got comparisons of all of the isp’s and plenty of info in their forums.

You’ll probably find that 256/64 is plenty fast enough for general web usage.

regards,.

Rod.

@matt-p

Hey bear,
    I think you should have a look at this,

http://whirlpool.net.au/

RodC i noticed u have been to the whirlpool website, im not sure but u may have noticed this.. this is from the whirlpool website.. very tempting to.

quote:

Telstra has published its new “unlimited*” BigPond pricing.
    $69.95 for 10GB on cable, plus unlimited usage at 64Kbit/s speed after that (view)

$86.45 for 10GB on ADSL at 256Kbit/s speed, plus unlimited usage at 64Kbit/s after that (view)

$116.45 for 10GB on ADSL at 512Kbit/s speed, plus unlimited usage at 64Kbit/s after that (view)
    Obviously cable has an extreme value advantage here, being 40 times faster than the similarly priced 256Kbit/s ADSL plan. It makes cable incredibly attractive – though of course the downside is that it’s impossible to change providers.

Telstra’s existing capped plans remain (with some negligible price reductions). Why anyone would pay $249.95 for the regular 10GB plan when they could pay $69.95 for the same amount of data is beyond us. However Telstra will reap the profits of customers who aren’t aware of the new unlimited plan and don’t call to change over.

This is a major win for broadband consumers — it’s unlikely that there will be many ISPs offering 3GB plans by the new year.

I think you should serously look into this if you plan on using video conferencing, and downloading a lot.

Hope this helps.
    Matt

Participant
    @bear1964

Thanks for all your help guys, I actually was looking at whirlpool site last night and found that TPG offer an unlimited plan for $49, looks good, especially since sis is happy with their service.

Thanks again guys for all your help, now I have to work out how to set it all up, and the best way. I want to be able to have it on my laptop as I travel, as well as on my 2 home pc’s

Regards Bear

@still-in-school

Hi Bear1964,

If you do decide to go with TPG or any ISP, where ever you go or choose to connect your ADSL, either be at home or somewhere else. Make sure the person telephone lins is a digital connection.

In doing so, as long as the person telephone line or where ever you connect, is Digital. Your laptop will recieve DSL connection. If not your DSL connection will not work.

In this case, you can either network your computer to an existing network and bridge off their internet access that is setup and configured.

If their is no network in place and no digital fone line available. You will be limited to a dialup connection.

Just make a quick note of these things, before travelling with your laptop, to ensure that there is service and access to a digital telephone line connection.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

BEAR

My2c ( and that’s what it’s worth as i’m still trying to figure out how S.I.S does that attachment thingy at the bottom of each post[:(])

My fathers been using TPG for ages and V Happy, also Co-worker uses and he’s happy also with the Company ( Me- work shouts, they’re there own ISP)

Broadband ethernet [?]
    REDWING

@matt-p

Hey everyone,
    I thought i might just clarify all of that stuff on bigpond.

There is two plans, but i only recommend this one..

The details are as following:
    $69.95/month

Unlimited download speed (meaning it can reach 1mb/s)

Unlimited dowloads (for the first 10Gbs its unlimited speed, but after that its capped to 64kb, but who downloads anymore then 10Gb a month??)

At the moment telstra is doing a special deal.. i think this is until the 31st of Jan.
    Free installation, and you get the first two months free. But is important that you check that broadband will work in your area.

For $69.95 a month, with unlimited downloads, thats a great deal.

Redwing, im not sure what you meant by Broadband ethernet.. but telstra now have USB modems.. but even so you can pick up a ethernet card for under $30..

Hope this helps.

Participant
    @bear1964

Thanks all, I ended up booking in the bigpond cable special for $69, not only is it faster then ADSL, but I get a further 10% off on my entire home and mobile phone bill[;)] with no upfront cost …………..Thanks Matt

IT actually work out cheaper then dial up for me, subtract every time I dial up and every call I have to return from my message bank, and subtracting the 10% discount on my phone bill I will be much better off financially.

TPG was my second option on their $49 unlimited plan

Regards Bear

@matt-p

Thanks okay Bear, if u r going to get it u might want to look into it very soon, as i think they say u should allow 3 weeks, from application to installation. and if you want that discount then you lodge ur application ASAP. I think its a saving of almost $300 [:O]

Cheers
    Matt

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.