All Topics / General Property / land tax is it called council rates in NSW ?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Actually no Mel. I’m talking your home town. Brisbane. The post was originally started by a NSW person but I’ve hijacked it.

I did have a look a the qld website but I wanted to her personal experiences.

MJK

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    We pay land tax [}:)], all our property is in Qld and they send you the bill, it comes about sept and is assessed on all the properties you own at june 30th, I guess they want their money each year.[:o)] and arnt prepares to wait for you to lodge something. You will only start receiving a bill when your land value exceeds the threshold.

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Thanks Erika,

I did wonder if they would send a bill.
    They didn’t last year.
    I must have been just under. This year I should come in around 500k unimproved. Ouch! Lets see if they send a bill this time.

If they dont send one I suppose I’d better apply fo assesment.

MJK

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

you have to lodge a land tax application form. once you lodge the osr will send to you how much is your land value and the bill of course.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Thanks ChanDollars,

Perhaps thats what I should do.

MJK

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

So I rang the OSR and one of my properties is not comming up on there computer??? They said don’t worry when we find it we will issue a notice.
    They said I didn’t need to contact them for assessment. They will contact anybody who is over the threshold. Without one of my properties in the database I was below last year.
    Is this a good thing? One wonders?[8]

MJK

Profile photo of luckyoneluckyone
    @luckyone

Hi,
    I’m not sure if it different for you, but in the ACT we can apply to have the land tax and rates bills paid by direct debit in installments (fortnightly, monthly, quarterly etc.). Very handy for those of us who can’t save :)
    Luckyone

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

MJK, I’m actually a Canberran.

We don’t have to worry here – although we must inform the ACT Revenue Office if we are renting out the property. Then they issue us a bill almost immediately. They issue them quarterly (so kind of them), or you can pay it upfront at the ‘beginning’ of the year for that suburb (ie it’s a different month for different areas), or as luckyone said, you can pay an amount fortnightly.

Being on different months is really great (not). It means that I get a bill for rates and land tax just about every month!!

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Sorry Mel,

Something made me think you were from Brissy. Anyway thanks for your help.[:D]

MJK

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Last I convert my PPOR to IP the OSR don’t know about this. So I have to informed them.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.