Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of zac_moosezac_moose
    @zac_moose

Hi everyone, I`m currently looking into my first property and was wondering about the first home owners grant. I have done some research and i know i must reside in the reseidence before 12 months after settlement, but is there a limit on how long i must stay there? Eg. can i receive the grant, live in the property for 2 weeks and move out??

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. This is my first ever post[8]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

from what I can gather it all comes down to that wonderful element of “intention”. In the absence of being able to prove your intentions, I have been told (in WA) that they will accept 3 months as being adequate. Don’t forget to connect all services in your name and send all your mail there for that period too (bank statements etc).

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Zacmoose welcome to the forum.

Somebody mentioned on here recently that the Govt is looking to change the rules so that you MUST reside for a minimum of 6 months to keep the FHOG. Jan 1 was the date mentioned.

So I would check with the authority in your state to see if that has happened. Otherwise, I think 3 months would be a good time, and you would need to be able to supply a reason for leaving if they come to question you. Looks like too many people have been ‘abusing’ the system.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

quote:

Looks like too many people have been ‘abusing’ the system.

dam abuser! i was gonna do the same trick too,

cheers,
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey SIS, I’d still check it out with the state govs. Who knows, the laws may not have been passed. As I said, I only saw it written on these forums, and I don’t qualify for the FHOG (despite having never owned a PPOR[:(]) so I haven’t bothered much with the legislation.

Cheers
    Mel

@still-in-school

Hi Melbear,

The Law in Brisbane and in Sydney, were im interested in, shows that you must reside in the property for 6 months minimal to qualify for the FHOG, within the first 12 months of purchase.

Though as for Sydney the FHOG, it says that the FHOG money can be granted straight away, were as the FHOG in Brisbane, you do have to wait 12 months before, the government are satisfied with proof to hand you over the $7000 grant.

Though, i would be interested, in how people in Qld have been able to go abouts this and recieve the FHOG money before the 12 month period has finished.

cheers,
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

S.I.S. – have they changed the rules in Qld? Our daughter bought her unit in Sept 02 and received the FHOG almost immediately.
    Shirley

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

I got the 7000 immediately, and there was no mention of a minimum occupation time (only that I had to move in within a year).

Profile photo of kylesbmkylesbm
    @kylesbm

Rules have definately been changed. Didn’t you see the big uproar on the news in Nov 03. I think about 70000 people have abused the system Australia wide, with the main concern being no min age.

People were using their children to access the grant.

The youngest was 1 month old.

The govt, changed the criteria immediately along with min time frame, most states 3 months.

@still-in-school

Hi Shirley,

I think your daughter should be fine, as she got the fhog, before the new rules, that came applicable in Nov 2003. Anyone applying now and after the new date, will have to abide by the new conditions, to recieve the fhog.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.