All Topics / Heads Up! / Landlords insurance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I recall seeing some posts re: Landlords insurance and came across this article, so i’m posting it for those that may be interested..

Malicious or accidental damage by a tenant, legal liabilities, loss of rental income … the list of hazards facing landlords is almost endless, and, not surprisingly, many choose to hand the day-to-day responsibility for their investment properties to real estate agents or property managers.

Malicious or accidental damage by a tenant, legal liabilities, loss of rental income … the list of hazards facing landlords is almost endless, and, not surprisingly, many choose to hand the day-to-day responsibility for their investment properties to real estate agents or property managers.

But one responsibility that can’t be passed on is obtaining suitable insurance cover.
    National sales manager at Terri Scheer Insurance Brokers Kristy Gregory says landlords should double-check their insurance policy’s fine print to ensure they’re covered for common tenancy mishaps.

“We have so many conversations with landlords who have taken out a building policy, often called a ‘landlord’ product, and assume they’re covered, only to find out later the cover is severely limited,” Ms Gregory says.

“Even if they say, ‘I’ve got landlord cover’, we tell them to check if they’re covered if the tenant defaults, for malicious damage and arson, and if it does, check the excess.”

According to the brokers’ Victorian office manager Christine Fraser, standard building insurance offers some protection for landlords, but often contains clauses excluding malicious damage by a tenant, accidental damage, legal liability and cover for the loss of income.

“But for the owner of an investment property, these are the very reasons why claims are made,” Ms Fraser says.

The level of cover and premiums charged for landlord insurance differ from broker to broker.
    As a guide, Terri Scheer’s Landlord Preferred Policy will cover up to six weeks rent if tenants abscond and up to 15 weeks if tenants default on their payments and the landlord has to repossess.
    Taking cover

Before signing up for ‘landlord insurance’, check that it covers the following risk factors:
    Malicious damage by a tenant – This includes everything from holes punched in walls and kicked-in doors to intentional damage to carpets and floors.
    Accidental damage – This covers unintentional damage to a property. Accidental damage also covers the actions of small children, but excludes gradual wear and tear.
    Legal liability – Includes expenses incurred for any lawsuit that arises as a result of a tenant suffering bodily injury or property damage or loss.
    Loss of rental income – In instances where malicious damage has been caused to a property, a loss of rental income may result while the property is repaired or cleaned. Loss of rental income also can result from absconding tenants, defaulting payments, death of a sole tenant, failure to give vacant possession or a court awarding a tenant a release from lease obligations due to hardship.

We have Landlords insurance on our rental properties as i know some others on this forum do, others may not, but it bears investigation..

REDWING

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi redwing,

Great post… I’ve just moved it to heads up where it would be more apprpriately placed.

Thanks for your continued and much appreciated involvement here on the forums.

Happy New Year,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Thanks Steve,

Will post any relevant pieces of information i chance across in this “area” fron now on..

Great to see you on the site

Hope Everyone had a SAFE AND ENJOYABLE NEW YEARS

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.