All Topics / General Property / to those who say there’s no opportunities

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi

I’m going out of my brain right now as I sit here looking at various real estate web sites, because I’m seeing deals left right and centre. All in Australia, all in regional centres with populations of 40,000 plus.

The only trouble is I’m not in a position to buy them right at this very minute (selling one IP to pay out PPOR mortgage with a VERY HEALTH excess!! Have to do a facelift before selling in March though!!)

Now, not all these deals meet the 11 sec solution straight off the bat, but they fit the criteria I’ve set myself.

While they might have been cheaper 12 months ago, I can’t see them coming down in price too much, but who’s to say they’re not going to go up in the future? Especially if all my due diligence checks out? Why not jump in and buy?

Anyway, just wanted to say that the deals DO exist, so don’t get disheartened… and don’t think that just because you can’t find houses for 50k, that this whole positive cashflow thing is a load of crap, cos it aint!!!

To the people becoming disheartened, keep your collective chins up!! We might not all go as fast as some, but Rome wasn’t built in a day…

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Thanks Richmond for the words of encouragement,
    it sounded as if you were talking directly to me [:)]
    Cheers,
    Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Unfortunately, I am failing to recognise such opportunities on the various real estate websites.

I am not of course saying that there aren’t any opportunities Richmond, just that I am not recognising them.

There are opportunties but I am sourcing them in a different manner.

BTW Richmond, I do have properties for sale from time to time at market value in a good growth area in Sydney and I am able to sell them on little or no deposit.

Oops, [:I] I hope this isn’t considered advertising.

Pisces133

Profile photo of Martin2Martin2
    @martin2

Hi Richmond,

Where ? ANy in Sydney ?

M

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

BTW Richmond, I do have properties for sale from time to time at market value in a good growth area in Sydney and I am able to sell them on little or no deposit.
    Oops, I hope this isn’t considered advertising.

Peter, again, I’m not sure what angle you’re coming from…
    r

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Richmond, read my post literally and that is what I am talking about.

No ifs no buts, no hidden meanings, no stabs at you, I am merely saying that I am able to sell properties in say the Blacktown, Rooty Hill, Seven Hills etc area on only a few thousand dollars deposit to the right kind of person (i.e. someone who is able to service the loan.

It may not suit everyone and one does have to determine whether such a purchase is or is not suitable or profitable for one’s paticular circumstances.

Pisces133

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

fair enough PeterM, I guess that’s advertising, but I’ll let Steve or another moderator decide.
    good luck with it.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Properties for sale…??? Are they positive cashflow – if so, on what basis?

An initial deposit of only a few thousand isn’t anything hugely special.

Perhaps outline more information and in the interests of discussion there may be quasi-advertising, but so be it.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Keymaster
    @piadmin

No they wouldn’t be + geared, In fact impossible with the prices in that area.

They would only be suitable for people who are prepared to be negatively geared.
    (prices in those areas vary between say $ 320-
    $ 370 K for a brick 3 bedroom house.

A low deposit may not be a big deal for most people on this web site but it is for someone who has some problems getting finance.

By getting vendor finance for the deposit there is also a saving as one can avoid having to pay mortgage insurance.

BTW, I am not really scouting for buyers on this website. If that were the case I would’ve sent a letter to Steve first.

Pisces133

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Spider, what happened ? What did you intend to say in your post ?

As it is you are only quoting without providing your comment !?

Pisces133

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Piscies,

Sorry, re-reading my post it may have sounded dismissive re: deposits. Apologies.

Just working through what the issue re: small deposits to flesh out the discussion, are you suggesting:

A. The vendor carryies back a second mortgage for the deposit shortfall between sale price and what the bank finance?; or

B. The vendor offers terms (instalment sale) on a low deposit basis?

Just clarifying…

Thanks,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Keymaster
    @piadmin

The way I see it, option A (the vendor assisting by lending part of the deposit) appears infinitely better to me than option B because I am very debtphobic.

That is partly because of my age and partly because of some unhappy experiences whereby I got caught (on more than one occasion) with loans whilst (because of the economic climate) not being able to find buyers.

I can see however that option B may well be preferred by some others who are centring on pocketing the difference in interest paid and interest received.

There are some black marks against Option B.
    the way I see it.

For example,a few vacancies all at the one time AND being unable to fill the properties quickly with new tenants may put one under pressure (and may well bring the deck of cards come thundering down).

Yeh, I know that having access to some cash elsewhere would act as insurance but (I would think that) many people haven’t got that (when they start out) and , for them, progressing a bit slower may be the key.

Another drawback is that the more money we owe the harder it gets to get the next loan because of perceived inability to service from the bank’s point of view.

A low Doc type of loan may overcome that problem, though at a cost.

Pisces133

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

Pisces 133,

Sorry hit the wrong button. Maybe I should drink less.

Spider, what happened ? What did you intend to say in your post ?

As it is you are only quoting without providing your comment !?

Pisces133

[/quote]

Profile photo of Smiley1Smiley1
    @smiley1

quote:

The way I see it, option A (the vendor assisting by lending part of the deposit) appears infinitely better to me than option B because I am very debtphobic.

That is partly because of my age and partly because of some unhappy experiences whereby I got caught (on more than one occasion) with loans whilst (because of the economic climate) not being able to find buyers.

Hi Picies,
    Option 1 sounds good to me Let’s see if I got this right.
    House contract at $ 250,000
    I can get 80% from bank = $200,000
    Does that mean in the contract the deposit paid shows as $ 50,000 Is there a clause in the contract to say there is vendor finance?or do you have seperate document with the vendor only.
    My experience is banks don’t like vendor finance in contracts

Please let me know, either here or email me at [email protected]
    Thanks Smiley

I can see however that option B may well be preferred by some others who are centring on pocketing the difference in interest paid and interest received.

the way I see it.

For example,a few vacancies all at the one time AND being unable to fill the properties quickly with new tenants may put one under pressure (and may well bring the deck of cards come thundering down).

Yeh, I know that having access to some cash elsewhere would act as insurance but (I would think that) many people haven’t got that (when they start out) and , for them, progressing a bit slower may be the key.

Another drawback is that the more money we owe the harder it gets to get the next loan because of perceived inability to service from the bank’s point of view.

Pisces133

@smiley1

quote:

Hi Picies,
    Does that mean in the contract the deposit paid shows as $ 50,000 Is there a clause in the contract to say there is vendor finance?or do you have seperate document with the vendor only.

Thanks Smiley

the way I see it.

Pisces133

@smiley1

quote:

Hi Picies,

Thanks Smiley

the way I see it.

Pisces133

@smiley1

quote:

Hi Picies,

Thanks Smiley

the way I see it.

Pisces133

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>Option 1 sounds good to me Let’s see if I got this right.
    I can get 80% from bank = $200,000<<

If the buyer hasn’t been able to save some money in the past which would enable him to put up some of the deposit at least, then it is a pretty safe bet that you would be looking for problems by selling to such a person.

So, using your example I would be looking for someone who can come up with anywhere between
    $ 3,000 to $ 10,000 cash + who also would be eligle for a FHOG. (government grant of $ 7,000 )

This would make a total of between $ 10 K to
    $ 17 K which would be available and in such a case I would not be unhappy to lend him the balance of the 20% deposit (provided this would come out of my profits so I wouldn’t be digging into my own cash money.

Secondly, the contract of Sale wouldn’t mention anything about a vendor’s mortgage as the lender may not be happy about this at all. The second mortgage document would be signed but not be registered on the title. Lodge however a caveat on the title.

I want to mention however that a lot of solicitors nowadays would, for security reasons, advise their clients against an unregistered second mortgage.

The way it has been explained to me is that a caveat in effect doesn’t give an equitable interest in the title.

This means that the first mortgagee could conceivably increase the loan amount and this would therefore eat up the equity in the property
    which you are counting on for security.

Until recently I thought that a caveat would provide a proper protection for an unregistered mortgagee. That no longer appears to be the case.i

I don’t know the exact details, I guess that there must have been a recent courtcase relating to this.

In any event as my loan comes out of my profits anyway I personally would be prepared to take that risk.

Please note however that if your purchaser has the income to service a loan greater than 80% you may be able to obtain such greater loan for the buyer. (though this does mean that the buyer will be up for a, once only, mortgage insurance premium however).

pisces133

Profile photo of PetafromMelbournePetafromMelbourne
    @petafrommelbourne

Hi,
    I’m new to the investing game,my husband and I have recently been reading everything we can get our hands on. I’ve looked at certain areas in Melbourne and also on the web, and wondered about Bendigo, but haven’t actually started. What I have seen by Steve’s formulas for working back from the rent to the purchase price to see if it’s positive cash flow, nothing seems anywhere near??? Where do i go from here? Do we find like minded real estate agents? I’ve ‘interviewed’ a few in chosen suburbs but they look at me as if I’m an alien??

Profile photo of philip1philip1
    @philip1

Hi all
    Im new to the game.I live in Adelaide and have been told by a buyers advocate that we shouldnt buy in Adelaide.1/the property prices are over inflated at the moment 2/the pop growth here is going no where.What do u all think of this.

We have flown to cairns and bought 2 investment properties there which after reading steve’s excellent book are not cashflow possitive like we thought they were. They fall under the c income negative/cashflow positive.WE own our home outright and have used the equity to buy the properties.So if you factor this in as well Im probably worse off.So if anyone has any ideas how I can turn these around please tell me.I use a buyers advocate as Im not ready to do the deals yet but can afford to get into investing.Our next purchase may be in New Zealand as I am told they are about three years behind us but unlike our last 2 I wont be making the same mistake.Does anyone have any thoughts on this (buying in New Zealand)?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.