All Topics / General Property / buying a tenanted property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of rdayrdayrdayrday
    @rdayrday

hi all

hope everyone had a merry christmas,and will have a great new year 2004.

i am looking to buy a small property in mel,and have noticed that some already comes with tenants.
    it looks to good to be true that i wouldnt need to find a tenant.

please could you tell me what to look out for. can i check that the tenants are good payers etc.
    is it straight forward to take over from old land lord etc?
    in the uk ,because of the court system ,if your tenant stops paying,you cant get them out till 6 months or so,and in the end they dont even have to pay the kkkkkks they owed you,is it the same in oz?

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks
    rday

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I too have heard all of the horror stories about tenants and squatters in the UK. Whilst our system favours the poor disadvantaged tenant over the greedy wealthy landlord it is nowhere near as difficult as the UK system.

Contact the PM and ask what the tenant is like. Worst case is you will be stuck with a difficult tenant through the eviction process – which shouldn’t take longer than a few months.

If you purchase landlords insurance you shouldn’t even be out of pocket if the worst happened.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Properties coming complete with tenants aren’t necessarily as good as the agents selling them try to tell you.

What if they’re not paying market rent? What if the market rent is not enough to help with your holding costs?

Sales agents don’t think like investors, so to them a tenant (no matter what type etc.) is great.

Steve’s buyer beware templates have info on how to check if the tenant in place is a good deal or not.

If you do buy, it generally is a seamless handover – although you do not have to use the PM that the current landlord is using.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

when I sign a contract as an offer to buy a tenanted house, I always include the option to take vacant possession. That way, if the tenant is a problem, you don’t settle until the current owner gets rid of him. Otherwise, you can be obligated to settle with a squatting tenant occupying the house.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

Finding a property that is currnetly tenanted, is a much better buy in my eyes, though there are a few ifs and but, but do you think the vendor before hand would be stupid enough to get a bad tenant for their investment property.

I very much doubt so, unless they are the desperate kind of property investors, or new at the game.

Worst Case senario, you always have insurance….

Many of the contracts i sign, and once the vendor signs, i will organise insurance immediately. Doing this, in effect protects you, and gives you immediate cover.

Remember like mentioned by Melbear, you can always change the current PM if you dont like the current PM the existing landlord is using.

cheers
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

quote:

when I sign a contract as an offer to buy a tenanted house, I ALWAYS include the option to take vacant possession. That way, if the tenant is a problem, you don’t settle until the current owner gets rid of him. Otherwise, you can be obligated to settle with a squatting tenant occupying the house.

ALWAYS ???

I note from a post of yours which you posted this month on the Somers website that you said :
    “I am an IP virgin”.

Pisces133
    (a friend of Bear)

@still-in-school
    Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

actually I remember seeing that too, now that you mention it…

Perhaps bruce is talking about arranging contracts in his role as a real estate agent up in Qld around caboolture, rather than as a purchaser. Bruce?

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I’m happy to take over a property with an existing tenant, provided I have done enough checking to make sure I’m not taking over another landlord’s tenant from hell.

I’ve seen many landlords sell the property to be rid of the problem rather than trying to fix it.

One of the due diligence templates we complete is the “Property With Existing Tenant” form, which is included in the BuyerBeware product.

Look out for other things too… such as all the necessary documentation being in order and that the rent being paid has been paid and is not just the latest hike justifiying an increase in price.

It’s the things we don’t know that bring us unstuck.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@still-in-school
    Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

Yea i saw that!

quote:

Perhaps bruce is talking about arranging contracts in his role as a real estate agent up in Qld around caboolture, rather than as a purchaser. Bruce?

I hope so..

Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Participant
    @richmond

Actually, I’ve made a blue… mcollins is the real estate agent… not sure of bruce’s background…

my mistake.

cheers
    r

@thefirstbruce

To the Bear-o-philes who think Queenstown is ripe for significant capital gain, despite Sterlite Industries outlook, since my original post I have bought the following:

– a brick 4 pack for $280,000. gross wkly rent $520. privately valued at $440,000 2 weeks after purchase.

– two houses in an up and coming Brisbane suburb. gross rental yield 5.1%.

– In the three weeks before Christmas I signed 11 contracts to get the two latter properties.

I also managed my parent’s 20 odd rental properties when I was growing up.

I’d be interested to hear about the buys anyone else has made here in the last 4 weeks, in real estate or any other field, apart from the share market, in accordance with the moderators’ wishes.

I’d also be interested to hear who SIS gets his insurance through and whether he has made a claim for damages by a tenant.

SIS also says
    ‘do you think the vendor before hand would be stupid enough to get a bad tenant for their investment property.”
    Well if you read above SIS, Steve McKnight obviously does.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

@still-in-school

Hi Bruce,

Good to see your back and hear about your success.

Well if you want a boast session here, im happy to challenge you on this.

Let me paste the link here for you to see, and just one other thing, i just recieved a contract then, just about to sign which means i still beat you, Bruce good intentions though, at all odds i still beat you, im 21 and still in school at the same time.

cheers and enjoy the link
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Participant
    @richmond

SIS

I don’t think bruce was challenging you to anything. Please don’t get a boast session going, it will produce absolutely nothing. If people want to run through their purchases purely as a guide to prove positive cashflow props exist, that’s fair enough.

This isn’t a pi**ing competition.

Just to close, SIS, don’t pat yourself on the back too much… I’m sure there’s other people around who are just as, if not more, prolific, than you, and they don’t feel the need to brag. Some of us have had to get on our own two feet without our mother’s help, and don’t need you shoving your successes down our throats, as commendable as those successes are. Yes, you clearly work hard and are smarter than the average 21 year old, and you come across as a really good bloke, eager to help etc which is FANTASTIC… but you don’t need to rattle off how many properties you own at the drop of a hat. Property investing is about a lot more than just numbers of properties owned.

Anyway, that wasn’t meant to be too mean, and I don’t want to have an argument, so I hope it didn’t come across too bad.

Cheers
    r

@still-in-school

Hi Richmond,

Nah thats fine, i reread the post that i was going to post and deleted it. Though i do see, that im at some fault here and i will stop.

Sorry about this argument and i will leave it as it is.

Thanks again Richmond, must be tough being a moderator, but i have to give it to you, i was going to post a nasty post, but i will let it be and forget about it.

cheers and thanks,
    s.i.s

Participant
    @richmond

no worries SIS, I could have worded some bits a touch better in hindsight… as I said, I wasn’t trying to be nasty.

Cheers
    r

@thefirstbruce

SIS, I didn’t post to brag, but to let you guys know that yes I was a virgin at the beginning of December, but was serious about investing in IPs. I mentioned the properties I bought to clarify I approach things hopefully intelligently and only after a lot of research.

The point I was making about what others have bought in the last month was to discern who is still bullish on property. Most investors I know are getting out, as they think there is little gain to be made within the next 12 months. Few investors I know have bought in the last 4 weeks. Hence, my decision to come to this newsgroup to get a feel for what is happening outside the people I know.

I was looking aggressively just before Christmas hoping to get heavily discounted properties by people keen to sell over this traditional time of changing homes. A lot of PPOR upgraders don’t want to deal with bridging finance, and investors are thinking the market has peaked, and don’t want to wait for a sale until February. Hence the two houses I got were let go at July 2003 prices.

Many people I know have considered my timing really poor, but I see another 15-20% growth next year, and I have had healthy seed capital investments this year that I need to negatively gear. These are my reasons for buying IP in the last month.

No one I know predicted the 100%+ gain in the last 18 months.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Richmond, I am not a journalist so I obviously do not you have your literary skills so let me kindly ask you what you mean by the words
    ‘shoving your successes down our throats’.

I have seen plenty of posts by S.I.S.. He clearly is able to dedicate a lot more time than most people responding to posts and there is little doubt that he is very generous in going out of his way trying to help his fellow travelers along the winding real estate path with facts and advice.

So in which post does he appear to you to skite ?

I would actually be more concerned about posts by people who have big opinions based on no experience.

How will we website visitors be able to differentiate between the quality of the different posts without some background information being disclosed somewhere along the way ?

And at what point does such detail turn into ‘big noting’ oneself ?

Pisces133

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

After ‘all’ that

you know what i ‘find’ funny.. rdayrday has not posted since his initial post and the ‘bruce’ rollercoaster started..[:)][:D][:)][:D][:P]

Ah well.. it amused me anyway

so back to the initial subject.. has anyone else found it funny that some owners of properties will sign 6mth rental agrreements in some cases, is this to help ‘sell’ this to investoras with the 6mth rent built into the sale price, and, gives them time to organise thier affairs.. or am i just paranoid [?]
    REDWING

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.