All Topics / General Property / fibro and asbestos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

Does anyone know how to differentiate asbestos laiden fibro from that with no asbestos? Someone told me there is a date stamp on the sheets.

Also, does anyone know how expensive it gets to demolish or dispose of asbestos building materials- roof, walls.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of Tools2Tools2
    @tools2

Hi Bruce,

There is no positive method of determining if fibre cement sheet (fcs) contains asbestos or not,without having a sample analysed by an occupational hygienest.

I am not aware of any date stamps on the back of sheets,but you may find that some sheets manufactured in the early eighties will have a stamp on the back that says “does not contain asbestos”.The asbestos contained in AC sheet is of low grade,and doesn’t pose a problem,AS LONG AS IT IS ENCAPSULATED AND NOT DAMAGED.By this I mean that it is covered with paint or otherwise protected (but don’t go patching and sanding it prior to painting!).The biggest problem occurs if the sheet is broken or cut mechanically.releasing fibres in to the air.

Having said all that,there are a couple of other INDICATIONS of wether or not fcs contains asbestos.If you broke a piece and held it up to the light,if you see tiny fibres around the break,it is probably asbestos.If you break o piece,or soak a piece in water over night and it comes off in layers,it is probably does not contain asbestos.

Costs for removal will vary widely,so it is best to get 3 quotes.I don’t know about the regs in Queensland,but I suspect they are as strict as in Victoria.Ensure that when you get your quotes that you are not dealing with cowboys.Check that they are properly licenced,take all precautions for the protection of themselves,you,your property and your neighbours.Make sure they notify the workcover authority in your state (in vic they must give 5 days prior notice),and that they transport it correctly to a licenced tip site.

And don’t be afraid to ask to see their licence!

It is also worth noting in this thread some of the other common building materials that MAY contain asbestos.Some vinyl floor tiles,some roof tiles,some bituminous coatings,some caulking compounds,some sprayed on fire coatings,some fire doors…..and the list goes on.

Once your contractor has removed the sheeting,ensure he cleans up properly after himself.All nails holding the sheeting on must be removed (they may be holding fibres around the head).Ensure that all small pieces that may break off during removal and may have fallen on to the ground or supporting framework are picked up.Check that any packers placed between the frame and door/window openings have been removed.The regulations in Queensland may also require air monitoring if the work is carried out inside,as well as complete vacuuming with a HEPA filtered machine.Outside work should be hosed down.A hygienist may be required to give a visual clearance once the work is complete.

Although the asbestos in AC is low grade,it can still be a health hazard during removal.Don’t be tempted to take short cuts when dealing with the Big A,and send the cowboys packing!

Tools

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

thanks for the excellent info Tools. much appreciated.

Hope your Chrissy break is rolling along nicely. We are having a heat wave up here. Tis unbearable outside.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Oh dear…..what’s going on with my number of posts????????

Another tell tale sign that you may have asbestos is the colour.If the sheet is unpainted,and looks pink or green,it will be asbestos.Any corrugated roof sheets will almost definitely be asbestos.

Tools

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

Hi
    I fully support Tools reply. In my employ where we deal with number of R & M works associated with Government Buildings eg Schools, Health Centres etc, it is absolutley imperitive to have any such works carried out by a registered “asbestos” professional. Here if things go wrong you hit the front page of the newspaper !!!
    You certainly dont want to be placed in a liable situation & I would be contacting your local Work Health Authority with an armful of questions.

Regards

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Tools. it looks like you must be registered twice!! They both have different member numbers, so to make your first post you must have logged in as the ‘other’ Tools. [:O]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hey Melbear,

lol, i noticed that earlier, but thought that was an error, lol… oh well how are we going to tell the difference, if either one of the tools dont want to change their nick names?…. lol

cheers
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Participant
    @tools

Hi Mel…you are right.When I originally registered,I couldn’t log in for some reason…..had to register again weeks later,and now they both obviously work!

Tools

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hi there,

i actually own an asbestos fibro (hardiplank or similar) house. i didn’t know it was fibro until the BR came back. Eek, i thought. Isn’t that bad?
    ‘only if you want to disturb the fibro and work on it.’

‘will I want to in the next decade, even 20 years or so?’ (because i am buying buy and holds.)

‘the stuff lasts for donkeys, and you very likely won’t need to touch it other than paint it’

(painting is apparently fine/safe)

So I have a fibro house which we renovated beautifully inside and didn’t do anything on the outside, and so far so good

cheers-
    mini

Participant
    @tools

Hi MIni,

Yes,all is safe,even if you want to repaint,but just DON”T SAND IT!

Tools

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.