All Topics / General Property / Off the Plans

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of rolonationrolonation
    @rolonation

Hi Guys

Its been a while since I haev been on here hope everyone has a great christmas and new year!!

Now down to business, I have just been reading a previous post and the issue of selling up and creating a family trust came up, and im wondering if this may be a good option for me and my parents. Iam currently in the process of selling my first PPOR and my parents are currently renting before building a house of thier own. We have decided to buy an apartment in Northbridge(for those who dont know 2 mins from CBD) of the plan for me to live in as an investment and then sell splitting the profits.

Im just wondering if I could get any feedback from people as im starting to have second thoughts on the place as I want to get firmly into property investing and it seems that by owning your own home is a hard way to get into the property market.

Any feedback would be very welcome

Cheers
    Andrew

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Andrew, I guess it depends on how you do it.

If you were to buy this unit and live in it – would you pay market rent, or would you and your parents split all costs?

What sort of demand is there for these apartments/area? Is it likely to resell at a future date for a profit? Is it a demand area for tenants?

If you definitely need to live in the area, and can afford market rent, an option could be to set up a family trust (if you’re going to get into investing in a reasonable way this might be a good idea anyway) and have it buy the property. Then you can rent from it.

When/if you sell, you can then distribute the profits in the most tax advantageous way at the time – you are not locked into 50/50 or 33/33/33 or anything like that.

check out http://www.gatherumgoss.com and look at the manual Trust Magic.

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.