All Topics / General Property / Please clarify PPOR point

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi. I know the answer is here on the forum somewhere but am unable to find it. Can anyone please clarify how long you have to live in your PPOR to establish residency. I am told definately 6 months but I thought I had read this was incorrect and you only had to establish residency i.e power bill, phone etc. I am unable to actually find it written anywhere but am asking in regards to selling your PPOR within the first 12 months of owning it. Can you sell within six months and still be CGT free, I would have thought so but my old school father definately disagrees.

How also does this apply to PPOR that you rented out for 4 years but owned it for 10 before that. To establish residency I thought that you only needed to move in, get power etc on and that was that. You could then move out and rent it out for another 6 years, but again old school dad insists you would have to live in it for six months.

I am unable to produce anything to back up my arguement, however I may be wrong totally as well. Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks, sunshine

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I may be wrong but..

with the 4 years rented but lived in it for 10 years prior – it was always my understanding that they aportion the CGT.

As for the 6 or 12 months – dunno ( dumb look on his face)

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Thanks Redwing. I understand that CGT is applied for the time it is rented. I have been looking at various other posts which cover PPOR and then decided I should redefine my question…

Is there a minumum time frame you have to live in a property for it to be your PPOR?

i.e.

could I live in it for only 1 month and then sell it?

Thanks.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

If you live in it for a day and have no other PPOR
    it would be your PPOR at that time.
    But why the question. If you sell it you have to apportion your CGT over the time lived and and rented.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you occupy it from purchase as a PPOR then you have CGT exemption for that time and any periods of up to 6 consecutive years of renting. As long as another PPOR has not been established in this time.

Check for yourself with the ATO.

cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Agree with Simon. I think people are getting ‘funny’ about time frames now because of the FHOG. It appears that the new ‘rule’ will be that you must occupy the PPOR for 6 months to keep/gain the FHOG.

As for CGT, I didn’t believe that there was a minimum time to be eligible for exemption. However, if you do it several times in several years you might have ‘some splaining to do’.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There is a Tax Determination available from that ATO that details what is a Principle Residence.

“TD51. Capital Gains: What Factors are Taken into account in determining whether or not a dwelling is a taxpayer’s sole or principle residence.”

Do a search in the legal database on http://www.ato.gov.au.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.