All Topics / General Property / Changing locks/safety?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

What are your thoughts of changing locks every time a new tenant moves in?
    Is this a must to increase the tenants’ security? It can work out expensive, e.g. my IP has 6 doors.
    On the other hand, if I were the tenant I’d certainly feel safer if the locks had been changed.
    We did change the locks this first time after settlement.
    What do you personally do? Do you bother?

I was thinking, if we’d change the locks again after our tenants leave, and keep the old ones, then maybe we could rotate them. Like if you had 3 locks per door, you could keep rotating them after every tenant leaves.
    Or if you have multiple properties then you could just swap locks between properties.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Cecilia,

I think you can just change the barrels not the whole locks – and yes if you had multiple properties you could cycle them around.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Celivia,

Why would you bother? waste money and time.

Kind regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Hi guys,

Instead of changing the whole lock,cylinders can be changed on some locks,or else just take the cylinder to a locksmith and have them re key it.That will cost about $10 – $12 per cylinder.So if you have a Lockwood 001 deadlatch for example,it would cost only $20 – $ $24

Tools

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Celivia,
    When we recently moved house, we had locksmith come out and change all the key configurations. All our locks are now opened by one key, even security doors. It is very convenient to have the one key.
    It cost us $15 a barrel, i think deadlocks have two.
    Good luck,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Thanks people, I know now for next time![:D] I like the idea of having to use only 1 key for all locks.[^]
    Regards Celivia

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

I honestly don’t think you should waste the time or effort in doing it. But if you feel necessary then do what Tools has mentioned.

Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of Mick INCMick INC
    @mick-inc

Personally I wouldn’t bother. If you are concerned about tenant peace of mind, I find that a medium quality alarm system does the trick. But make sure it has a keypad and not a remote. Don’t have have it monitored either!!

Mick INC

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

NOT HAVE IT MONITORED.. THEN WHY BOTHER ??

how many times have you gone “running’ to a house or a car whose alarm was going off, to lend assistance ? it’s like a security camera.. unless it’s monitored it’s worthless, you just get a movie of a guy in a balaclava stealing stuff!!

I’d offer a monitored system on a house worth installing it in, or in a area a bit rough, for peace of mind for the tenant ( and to ‘accquire’ that tenant.. none of us want our stuff pinched)and charge slightly more, but that’s just me [:)]

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.