All Topics / Hotch Potch / Credit Cards

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

What are your views on credit cards. Some opinions i have heard.

Cut them
    Burn them
    treasure them for a rainy day
    Spend with them then pay of each month with LOC
    Never pay interest on them

Any thoughts
    alf

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

Hey alf,

Personal I think credit cards should be avoided at all costs. The majority of credit cards have an interest rate of the mid teens if you miss the payment. Stick to chas and a cheque book.

Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of IncognitoIncognito
    @incognito

Actually I find them really convenient – just use them wisely! ie I use a credit card to save me carrying much cash (safety), or a cheque book (convenience) or relying on a key card (transaction fees).

People only struggle with them if they spend more than they can afford instead of realising that they still have to pay it off with their own money!

Pay it off each month before the interest kicks in, and with CBA for example, your reward points can effectively cover your annual fee for having the card.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Phobia,

I can understand what you’re saying, but do you think any young people actually use cheque books? I know my mother and father used them (the over 70’s people), but I see them as fairly passe.

*pokes the younger people* Do any of you have cheque books?

kay henry

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I don’t have, don’t want, and never had a credit card in my life.[:O]

I have the St George’s multi-access card, so I can still use the credit facility when taking money out or buying something (through VISA), and I can only spend what I have available in my bankaccount.[:)]

It works very well for me, because I don’t like spending money if I don’t have it. (Apart for loans for investments I wouldn’t want debt).[xx(]

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Hi Alf and All,

I love CC and I don’t pay any interest. I converted my reward points to cash which was for last year about $600+.

If you have control over your money then you won’t spend on useless things either it’s cash in your pocket or credit card or money some where else.
    Cheers

[:)]
    PropertyGuRu

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Credit cards can be very good or very bad, depending on how you use them.

It is a good idea to have access to a card with a large limit for emergencies. I know someone that made some miscalculations with her home loan and was about $10,000 short only days before settlement. She used a credit card for this shortfall. Standard rates for short term money lends are about 6% per month, so 17% for a credit card isn’t too bad.

But beware, credit cards will decrease your borrowing capacity as lenders take into account the card limit whether you pay it off fully every month or not.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hey Guru,

your like me, i love my credit card too, i cant go anywhere with out it, and the idea of frequent flyer points… [:D][:D][:D], and its convidency to pay online and over the phone, is all to convident.

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

http://www.theenlightenedway.com/tools/mil_calc.shtml

Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

same here – i love them too, though i wasn’t always like that.

we have a diner’s (our preferred card) and a gold visa for places where diner’s is not accepted.

they are a great way to track expenses while picking up pts along the way. the diners is a charge card rather than a credit card, but in either case we have never paid interest on any of cards and dont intend to. we understand though that others may not be as disciplined as us (have a few friends with serious CC debt)and that these cards can get people into serious debt.

we even limit our visa card expenses to max pt advantage limits and put the rest on the diners where $ limits do not apply.

julie

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Agree with most of the above..

Used wisely they are a bonus! We as others have posted pay “no interest” as we operate with a LOC loan and payment of the card comes automaticly out of our account on the due date.

we do not use the CC of our “loans” bank and we redeem our points for Myers vouchers which comes in handy at christmas time [;)] and we get the presents for the family effectively for free !

Very usefull when travelling or in an emergency and there’s many ways to use them wisely..

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

Well there seems to be mixed views i guess if you find it starts to cause you problems as in not being disciplined dont have one.

If you are under control and can use them wisely enjoy the additonal points etc as a bonus.

regards
    alf

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    I also use my credit card extensively to get all those points to redeem for other things.
    If you are serious about financial freedom you would have no problem with your card as you wouldnt overspend.Do a budget stick to it
    Kay Henry I just realised I must be over 70 as I have a cheque book I find it the best way to pay our rent and the water man when he comes to fill up our tank other wise I would need to have alot more cash on me which I dont normally have. Until a couple of months ago I also needed it to pay my preschool fees I know a child at my age was a miracle but luckily I can now use my CC for that.
    Erika

Profile photo of tancastancas
    @tancas

Well don’t worry I’m way under 70 and I have been wanting to get a cheque book for a long time but was told they attract bad tax for every transaction you make from the cheque account, is this true?

Tan

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Erika,

I wasjust wondering do young people still use chequebooks- that’s all :o) Noone my age that I know uses one. Just checking out how others live. Reread my post- I didn’t say if you have a chequebook, you are 70…

regards,

kay henry

@matt-p

Altough cheque books are convenient, some banks like CBA sharge 10-15c a cheque.

Matt

Profile photo of tancastancas
    @tancas

on top of the cost per cheque, isn’t there bad tax on each transaction from the acct including cheques and all other transactions?

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

*raises hand* I work in debt collections for one of the pillar banks. [8)] (Please don’t hurt me).

The people I deal with (only those in arrears or over their card limit), usually dont have a clue about credit cards. They simply don’t understand how to use them!

It makes my stomach turn when I speak to people who allow $500+ per MONTH in their budget for credit card interest. Parents with 4 kids, young couples living of govt benefits, students aged under 20! I warn them that they will get a late payment fee of $x and an over limit fee of $y and they just say “Yeh, no worries” as if it’s something unavoidable???

On the other hand, the people I associate with are like the majority of you guys who support credit cards. They use them for a convenient access to funds, and reap the benefits of the reward programs. Most have never paid a cent in interest.

Credit cards are great if you are honest with yourself about your capacity to be able to repay the balance at the end of each month. They are a never ending nightmare of debt if you don’t.

Anyway, if you guys have any questions about details of credit cards, feel free to direct them my way [:)]. I also deal with personal loans, (secured and unsecured) transaction accounts and, slightly more relevantly, mortgages. So if you have any questions relating to the Collections side of those products (not that any of you ever would [:P]), direct those here as well.

Ciao for now,
    Steve

ps: Working for a bank, i get fee free accounts. I have never once used my cheque account for a cheque despite being charged nothing for the privelige.

“Knowledge is Power”

Profile photo of www.Landlords.co.nzwww.Landlords.co.nz
    @www.landlords.co.nz

Im definately PRO c/cards

Australia seems to be very with its c/limits (compared to NZ)

Choose the right card:

avoid cards without interest free days
    ie theyll charge u interest from day 1 of making a purchase

of the other 2 options
    you have to weigh up your spending habits.

1: Rewards Scheme (but annual fee $30 – 80)

2: No annual Fee, but no points scheme

Generally you have to spend ~$11,000 to gain $100 rewards. so if youre not going to spend at least that, its probably be better to be on the no fees card.

Im sure theres others, but I’m using Virgin Money
    and its got a curved card too! – pick your colour and all [;)]

Craig
    NZ Property Investing News
    http://www.Landlords.co.nz

@matt-p

Hey YI,

If you don’t mind me asking what bank do you work for?

Matt

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

I just got new virgin cc. no annual fees, no points but some places they give discounts like at reading cinemas they give 20% off. which is very cool. I think no harm in having that card with your other cards!!

Cheers

[:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    I will be billionaire soon!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Credit Cards’ is closed to new replies.