All Topics / General Property / Buying Multiple Properties Quickly

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of adambcadambc
    Participant
    @adambc

Hi everyone. I really enjoy looking through this forum – what a resource! I have a couple of questions…

First, my story:

I’m going o/s in Jan 04 with my fiancee. We’re getting married in May, and continuing our travels for about 2yrs. Lucky us! I know.[:D]
    When we return, we want to start our property investing immediately (ie. in late 05/early 06), and we want to get amongst it quickly. We want to be financially free in 7yrs from now (5yrs from when we start investing). We currently have about $40K in savings (not including what we’ve saved for our travels) which we intend to use as deposits on our first couple of IPs.

Now, my question:
    How was Steve able to buy so many properties in such a short amount of time? How could he pay all those deposits, and how did he get so many loans from the banks? From my reading, the options he had were:

wrapping, in order to get the “client” to assist with his deposits (and I know that wrapping is Steve’s “niche”),

creative financing – such as vendor assistance, etc, or

buying properties grossly under market value, then being able to borrow 100%+ of the purchase price.
          Are these the only ways he could do it? Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam

Don’t Let Life Get In The Way Of Living

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
          @matt-p

Hey Adam,
          I think you will find (correct me if i am wrong) but Steve did not buy and hold 130 properties. He would have purchased some, sold one that that made a great Capital Gain, and then financed some more properties. They also had the help of the income from their accounting business and their wives incomes.

Again I hope this helps.
          Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
          Participant
          @terryw

Matt you could be right, But I was under the impression that Steve actually owned 130 properties as the one time.

Terryw
          Discover Home Loans
          North Sydney
          [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
          http://www.Structuring.com.au
          Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
          Participant
          @terryw

Adam

it is not easy to buy many properties in quick succession. You still have to come up with deposits and qualify for loans. $40,000 won’t go very far, but should get you a few cheap ones. Then you just have to keep saving and/or wait for some growth to be the next lot.

Terryw
          Discover Home Loans
          North Sydney
          [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
          http://www.Structuring.com.au
          Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
          @wilandel

Hi Terryw,

I believe you’re right about the 130 properties, I think it was somewhere around 40 wraps and the rest buy & holds.

Now it’s a lot higher!

Del [:)]

Profile photo of SpawnedSpawned
          @spawned

Adam,
          Steve was able to buy so many properties largely because he brought positively geared proverties, many unsing vendor financing “wraps”.

Great to hear you are getting into the market but just a couple of things to keep in mind..

Firstly you are getting in to the market at the ‘peak’. So capital gains could be a fair way off. Negative gearing is fine if the market is going gang busters but financial suicide if it’s going off the boil.

So your best bet now is to look at positive cash flow property. ie country properties with good returns. Just keep in mind that the maintenance costs for a country house are similar or higher than a new place in the city. So make sure you have the cash flow to cover the costs.

Good luck.
          Cheers,
          Shaun.

Profile photo of adambcadambc
          Participant
          @adambc

Matt, Terryw, Del and Shaun,

Thanks very much for your responses. Much appreciated.

If s-i-s is reading this – how were you able to buy 11 properties in under a year? That sounds fantastic! Was it simply because of massive CG in your first one or two, or do you have a “secret”?

Cheers,

Adam

Don’t Let Life Get In The Way Of Living

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
          @still-in-school

Hi Adam B-C,

Check out the link, it has the info there,
          https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6115&whichpage=1&ARCHIVE=

But no real secret, just lots of researching and studying the property market, thats all, and learning quickly which areas are about to go boom or rise and knowing to buy at the right time.

cheers
          s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
          “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
          @kay-henry

sis, that link discusses your strategies. I think people are really interested in the nuts and bolts of it. I wonder if you wouldn’t mind sharing how you bought your first IP- like did you have a cash deposit, and when you were able to invest in the second one- and how etc. Of course, if this info is private, then please ignore :)

Most of us here wouldn’t have known it was possible for a student/part-time worker to be able to become a property millionaire with 11 properties in one year.

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
          @still-in-school

Hi Kay Henry,

Sorry to reply late to your post,

quote:

How you bought your first IP- like did you have a cash deposit

For my first IP, i had a cash deposit, and secondly, i was working 2 jobs at the time. What happen was, i moved from Brisbane to Sydney, due to my grandma getting sick, and that i really had not much choice, but my mum, asked me to go down and look after her mother(my grandma). Well, i did that, but my grandma, was staying sick and getting worst… leaving me with no choice but to live down here and look after her. In the beginning it was hard, cause i wanted to go to Uni, but to go to uni, i needed to money, i had cash in the bank, but i didnt want to touch it or waste it. So i worked 2 jobs for a while, and you could say i worked day and night everyday, the big day came, i started uni, quit one of the jobs and continued working 7 days at that job for about 5-6 months, while attending uni at the same time, Just as i was enrolling for uni,

Before i came down to Sydney, i had been pre organising a pre loan approval for myself to get a place…..well after working so long and having a good savings and income stream, the banks increased my pre loan approval. And by now, because of my new situation, i had started uni here and i had to look after my grandma, my choices about purchasing a place for myself, change,

quote:

When you were able to invest in the second one- and how etc

well, i pretty much knew i was stuck down here for a long time, so instead of purchasing a PPOR, i used up my entire loan approval and bought 3 properties in one hit. 2 were neutral and 1 was negative and these were all in Metropolitan areas. Almost overnight you could say each property almost doubled. And that was just the begining of the PI, not long after that, i just learnt everything and anything about properties and the property market, i can honestly say i was spending almost every spare second learning about properties and other investments.

But anything is possible i believe, but i guess it depends how determined and how hard you will work for something, though i guess the more effort you put into something the more results you will get.

sorry about the long post guys.
          cheers

s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
          “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
          @kay-henry

sis,

Just wanted to thank you for your reply :o)

kay henry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.