All Topics / Heads Up! / Next meeting of new investors group – Sydney

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of vivartovivarto
    @vivarto

For those who were interested in meeting up but never did, below is the latest post to the ‘Investors Group for Newbies’ thread that can be found in ‘Opinionated’ (I’m trying to get it moved to ‘Heads-up’)

Wash-up from first investors group meeting held on 27/11/03

Off to a good start last Thursday. Small turnout but what the hell, we couldn’t have accommodated a cast of thousands anyway.

Firstly thanks to Otto for providing the venue and to Jeff for being our first presenter. Thanks to Amit for following up with the mailing list.

Overview
    There were only a few items on the agenda but somehow it still took nearly two hours to get through. The main event was an informal presentation by Jeff, (Still_in_school) of the investment strategy that has led him to having acquired 11 properties in less than a year. Not surprisingly this led to a good deal of discussion around the fine details of the process. No doubt this subject will still be a hot topic in future meetings.

The other main area discussed is what I’m now going to call Project Pushing. This consisted mainly of me using the group’s input to help clarify the approach I’d like to take rather than any formal start to the process. The end results of this synthesis are detailed in the General section below.

It was also decided to get together again in two weeks time at the same venue and that I would draft an agenda for the meeting, again see below.

Action Items
    1) The only formal action item to be defined was on Amit. Amit has got his head around Trusts and has agreed to prepare a twenty-minute presentation for the next meeting, which will be followed by a ten minute Q&A session. Amit is not a financial advisor so this is knowledge sharing by a peer – only.

Other Actions
    I have agreed to draft templates for:

· Statement of Goals document
    · Balance Sheet
    · Cash Flow Statement

This was not a formal action item as most people already have their own versions of these documents. The (selfish) intention is to ensure I have my own. I am however happy to share these templates with whoever is interested.

In addition I have challenged Amit to buy a CF+ property before me or forfeit a bottle of good Champagne, if he does then I’ll have to stump up the bubbly (however, given the current state of the market we may both be waiting a while to collect…)

General
    Personally I found the meeting extremely useful in helping to clarify my thinking. I have created V1 of the Statement of Goals and in doing so a further clarification occurred.

I now believe goals have two dimensions, time and life aspect. By life aspect I mean areas such as Financial, Career, Education etc – nothing new here – just new to me. I have broken the time dimension into: 5 years, 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month and, most importantly, tasks. The tasks relate to the 1-month goals and being such are very easy to define. The trick of course is to actually do them.

It was at this point that the idea of ‘Project Pushing’ crystalised. I define Project Pushing as the application of an external discipline to our own actions. By keeping the Statement of Goals up to date we will have a list of tasks to complete within the month. Meeting every fortnight or month to review / report progress to others on the tasks you’ve set yourself means you will have to stay focused in order to deliver.

I appreciate that this approach will not appeal to very many people but all this needs is two or three committed individuals to start with. I am quite happy to organize this. I would imagine that many people would drift off once they had acquired enough momentum. Again I would imagine that this approach would be more useful for newbies rather than those who are already making headway though I’m happy to be proved wrong.

However, I believe most people want to meet simply to network and share knowledge. Therefore, I would like to take a dual-track approach to future meetings. The first part of the meeting will be split into two streams: Project Pushing, for those interested, and general networking; the second part will be knowledge sharing by way of a presentation which will of course mean more networking. I’ve put together a preliminary agenda, see below, for the next meeting that I hope illustrates the idea.

At this point I want to know if there is any interest for the Project Pushing idea or am I pushing something else uphill! Email me if you want to get involved and based on the response I’ll adapt the meeting accordingly. Email: [email protected]. Please title the email Project Pushing.

Agenda

1a) First meeting of the PP group
    This will be a preliminary exploration of where we are individually and to flesh-out the approach taken.

1b) General networking (I’ll need someone to own this – any offers?)

2) Presentation on Trusts
    Content overview to be provided by Amit (cheers mate – really dropped you in it with this one eh?)

3) Date and venue of next meeting

4) Any other business

I’ll flesh-out the agenda once I get some feedback.

Cheers, Tom

As usual I’ll post this on the PI.com forum

Profile photo of vivartovivarto
    @vivarto

Hi Guys,

As previously stated we’re meeting this Thursday,

Given this is the first attempt at ‘project pushing’ I would imagine that we’ll not do much more than scope what it is we’re trying to achieve and how to approach it though I wait to be surprised!

I’ve put together a spreadsheet with a Statement of Goals, Cash Flow statement and Balance Sheet. These I believe are the basic tools for moving forward – no doubt you will have a version of one or more of these. I’ve never written anything like this down before and it has been quite a sobering exercise – and extremely worthwhile. I now have defined my starting position and end point (all I have to do now is join the two together!)

I’ve attached the spreadsheet so you can see how I intend to proceed and as a starting point for discussion on Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting you all. Please let me know if you can’t make it

Cheers, Tom

PS As always I’ll post this email on the forum

For forum readers – please drop me an email if you’d like to join us. email: [email protected]

@vivarto

Email to the mailing list

Hi Guys,

As previously discussed we’re getting together again this Thursday in Five Dock. This meeting is more of a general get together. In our last meeting Amit agreed to prepare a short overview of Trusts which he will present. Amit has been looking at trusts for a while now and has set one up for himself as his investment vehicle and as agreed to share his understanding.

Prior to this I will be meeting with a few people who have expressed an interest in working together to progress their own projects, what I call the ‘project pushers’. If you are interested in this check out the ‘Heads Up’ section of the forum where I have posted a general invite.

The main motivation for organising this meeting is to meet other like minded individuals so I’m looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Please let me know if you’re coming or not so I can keep a track of numbers.

Cheers, Tom

PS As usual I’ll post this email on the forum under the ‘Heads up’ section

Forum members – if you want to come and meetup with some like-minded individuals on Thursday email me for venue details : [email protected]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Tom,

Thank you for the info will email to you soon.

Kind regards

Chandara
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of MathonMathon
    @mathon

vivarto,
    Project pushers sound like it is my kind of thing, more details please send me at [email protected]. And please title it a Propertyinvesting.com

Thanks!

@vivarto

Just a quick review – very pushed for time at the moment. A good second meeting and again a lively exchange of views and a really interesting bunch of people. With the interest that has been shown I think we’re going to need a change of venue. I’ve had a number of people say they’d like to come along but the venue and/or time don’t suit. So, I’ll throw it open and see where and when is most popular – where and when would suit you?

Next meeting third week in January.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Dear Sydney Investors Group,

Our next meeting will be on 22nd January 2004.

I was thinking for every meeting we should consider presenting the research we have found in the areas that we consider investing. Between 3 to 5 persons should present at the meeting at 3 to 7 minutes of presentation per person. That way we have some ideas of other where they think the good area to invest. Eventhough your researches shown that the area are not the best place to invest you still be able to present with the why in mind.

What do you guys think?

Any input will be appreciated.

Kind regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of JackFrJackFr
    @jackfr

hello everybody,

where will the next meeting be? I’d be interested in coming along.

thanks.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi JackFr,

The meetings are held at Five Dock, we keep regular post and updates of upcoming meetings for anyone who is interest in Property Investing.

There are quite a few of us, who meet up and exchange thoughts and share ideas.

Will keep you posted

cheers
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Profile photo of LloydDebLloydDeb
    @lloyddeb

quote:

Hi JackFr,

The meetings are held at Five Dock, we keep regular post and updates of upcoming meetings for anyone who is interest in Property Investing.

There are quite a few of us, who meet up and exchange thoughts and share ideas.

Will keep you posted

cheers
    s.i.s

“People 4 get that by saving just $3 aday & investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up wit around $1 million.”

Hi guys,
    we are in Sydney, and are (were) part of the 92%er’s as we had 3 Negative geared properties, until we sold 1 last month!! And we will probably sell another next month, having just read 0-130 Properties in 3.5 years. The lights have been turned on [:)]!!!!!

We would like to attend the meeting later this month, and are looking forward to comparing notes/war stories as this is a very interesting time in the property market.

Also – if anyone can help us figure out which regional towns around NSW are worth looking at, we would greatly appreciate it, as I’m a Kiwi and Debs a Canadian, so not a lot of local knowledge at our place.

Cheers

Lloyd & Deb

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Lloyd & Deb,

To find out more information about the Sydney Meeting,

Email Tom at [email protected]

Next meeting will be held on the 22nd of January 2004.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Profile photo of LloydDebLloydDeb
    @lloyddeb

Hi guys,
    have been OS for a couple of weeks on biz, and haven’t had time to keep tabs on the proposed Sydney meeting at Five Dock. I heard there were to many people and it was a struggle to find a venue. Whats the latest – is there one scheduled?

Lloyd

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.