All Topics / Forum Frolic / Public Schools VS Private Schools….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Public Schools VS Private Schools….

I feel this is an important issue and that probably needs to be addressed, i feel both schools are much the same but…

Which do you feel is better and provides more, for your child and for the rest of Australia???

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of KavitaKavita
    @kavita

I prefer private schools. They give you an edge over others. I have gone to both private and public. You tend to think ‘big’ when surrounded by children with successful parents…. my parents were successful aswell but it teaches you that there are competitors out there!

thats what I feel

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

I have always found this a disturbing topic and it frequently turns in to a de facto class debate.

Profile photo of MrIronmanMrIronman
    @mrironman

Hi S.I.S

I wasn’t one for school. I went to 6 including tafe for first year of vce. I ended up finally finishing up at a private school, which was the best experience of my life to date. More of a community feel, better resources available, and alot of successul people willing to give advice.

Not that I saying public schools didn’t have any of these characteristics. I just didn’t get to experience them in the public school system.

Cheers[:D]

anto

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi,

I went to an all boys Catholic school in Box Hill, Melbourne.

It was fantastic, left school 12 years ago and my best mates are still the blokes I met there.

I think there’s great private schools and great public schools… but a lot of it comes down to the individual as well.

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,
    Rubberchook, I know what you mean…but since everyone else went with the private schools….
    I’m going to go with public schools, you just need to choose well.
    There is a public prep to 12 school literally 100 metres from my front door. My kids don’t go there, my eldest goes to HS 2 suburbs away and the youngest three go to PS 3 suburbs away in the other direction! (Yes, mum drives them )
    Personally, I don’t think the money is worth it, imagine what you could do with those extra 1000’s that you could invest!
    Of course investing in education is important as well, however you still get an education at public school. No matter where your child goes to school, it comes back to the individual’s personality and attitude.(And those around them)
    My 2 cents,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I’m not sure about other states but in NSW there are selective schools (public schools) where entrance is based upon scholastic achievements – that would be my first choice.

In any other situation I’d go private. The advantages a private education gives are numerous, and never underestimate the old boys network.

I went to private school and my wife went to public school – she is adamant that any children go private based upon the quality of education vs public (based on our experiences – not a class/cultural statement).

It’s a worthwhile investment in giving children an edge in life.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

I think personally, that both school systems are the same, personally being able to go to both, i didnt notice much difference. In education way, they are pretty much the same, but as for which system who has stricter or tougher rules, that would have to be private schools.

Though one important thing, that both schools neither taught, were subjects on money and how it was very important to understand and control,

another issue that is probably much more important, the school system taught students to go to school and get good jobs, they were not taught about how to make money and make money work and grow for them.

Yet instead are taught to study hard, get good grades, work hard in a job, but are not taught on how to grow and make money from another angle, Yet are only taught to make money you must work hard for it, in a job.

Sorry to be critical and judgemental on this subject, this is only teaching kids, to work hard for money and be a slave to it.

Maybe more important, is to teach your child or children about money, so they wont be slaves to money, but teach them about money.

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

I feel it all depends on the particular child. Our three went to state schools in Queensland. Two achieved the top score of OP1 at the end of high school and the third an OP2 (she’s on a 3-year $10k per annum scholarship at uni). I don’t believe private schools would have made any difference. All have gone on to achieve well at tertiary level and the two now employed have good positions. My belief is that school achievement depends on parental support and expectations.

Two have turned out to be little capitalists but the oldest is what you’d call a minimalist – she doesn’t believe belongings are important and spends all her money on travel. Where did we go wrong! Just kidding – very proud of all three.

Shirley

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

GOOD QUESTION

RICHOMOND DID YOU GO TO ST LEO’S???

I THINK IT MAY HAVE CLOSED DOWN???

I WENT TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL THAT WAS ALL BOYS…. AND AN EXCELLENT ACADEMIC/SPORT AND ARTISITIC RECORD – 99 PCT PASS RATE. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS…GOOD STUDENTS, CROSS SECTION OF SOCIO ECONOMIC BACKGROUNDS AND ITS CHEAP!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Yeah, I’m a Leo’s boy… the school closed down in the mid to late 90s… falling enrolments I think… the year I did year 12 there was 110 who sat exams, and about 45 kids in year 7, so it was going downhill, I’m happy with what I got out of the experience of going there though…
    Cheers
    r

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I went to the worst school in Sydney, NSW ie.Cabra
    but I still come out above average. So I don’t think public or private is matter, it is depend on individuals

Kind regards

Chandara
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I went to private schools – Catholic ones, so they weren’t quite as expensive as some!!

As for which is better, I think for a bright kid who will do the work no matter what, either is good, but for one who needs some gentle ‘prodding’ MOST (definitely not all, and conversely, some public schools also) private schools provide that bit extra discipline required for these kids.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

I have no problem with public schools, i went to a public school, Gisborne Secondary college, and i scored 93.55 enter. What’s more i was only the 7th highest score, 6 others got higher than me, so that shows that you can still do well if you go to a public school.

Fudge111

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

Home > National News > Article
    Kids’ success linked to status
    December 10, 2003

Print this article
    Email to a friend

Children’s academic success may be influenced more by their parents’ socio-economic status than whether they go to a private or public school.

A study by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) found little difference between the reading and mathematics abilities of year nine students in private and public schools.

ACER Research Director John Ainley said students with who lived in wealthier suburbs, had parents from high socio-economic backgrounds and went to well resourced public or private schools tended to be more academically successful.

“The overwhelming finding is that both the individual social background of the students is important, and so is the composition of the school they attend,” Dr Ainley told ABC radio.

“And one would infer from this that this reflects both access to resources and stimulation and expectation that flows through from common group of students with common goals.”

Dr Ainley said students tended to be more academically successful if they felt a sense of wellbeing at school and believed their school stimulated and encouraged them.

advertisement

advertisement

He said stimulating learning environments could exist in public as well as private schools.

“There are very good schools in both sectors,” he said.

– AAP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.