All Topics / General Property / Investing in Mortgages

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of mcollinsmcollins
    Participant
    @mcollins

What do people think about investing in mortgages. Bransgroves Mortgage Solicitors in Sydney are paying 9% for 1st and 17% for 2nd mortgages ? Interest paid monthly for a minimum term of 12 months minimum $10K. They say they have never had a loss. Does anyone have experience with this ?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Generally the higher the return the higher the risk.

However these would be secured by residential property so I imagine this minimises the risk. This is not investing in real estate though.

There are all sorts of investments like this including venture capital, solicitors mortgages, mezzanine funds etc

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of mcollinsmcollins
    Participant
    @mcollins

Both properties I am looking at have a LVR of 72% which I think is pretty good ??

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Second mortgages are inherently more risky. Most banks don’t do them anymore.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of mcollinsmcollins
    Participant
    @mcollins

How is a 2nd mortgage different from refinancing and just borrowing more against the same property ?

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

Hey mcollins,
    I currently have a $40k investment in a morgagte. it is at 6% i think, and i grabbed this oppurtunity as it was reasonably higher then the banks. Personally i would not go with an interest rate of 11% it sounds dodgy to me. But i am sure a little investigating wouldn’t hurt.
    Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Normally this is the case. Where someone like a developer wants additional funds for infrastructure they go for second mortgages.

For example I have a client who has a first mortgage against a large piece of land and needs additional funds to develop it. He is willing to pay 24% over 12 months for it.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi MCollins
    I may share some expeience with you. I have three times of experience to invest to 2nd second mortgage, the rate is from 16% to 20% pa. Usaully the LVR not exceed than 80%. If you want more details you could email to me. [email protected]

Regards

Julian

@julian

Hi MCollins
    I may share some expeience with you. I have three times of experience to invest to 2nd second mortgage, the rate is from 16% to 20% pa. Usaully the LVR not exceed than 80%. If you want more details you could email to me. [email protected]

Regards

Julian

@julian

Hi MCollins

Regards

Julian

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Only desparate people pay 11-17%. How desparate are you for a good return.

Ever hear of Estate Matgages….or Custom credit..?????
    Did’nt think so

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

These aren’t desperate people at all. They are usually developers looking for short to medium term finance that don’t fit the mould of the residential borrower and as such aren’t catered for by the Mum and Dad lenders.

These sorts of rates are factored into their proposals and are covered by the projected return.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree with MH, I put a few clients into these sorts of loans. They are usually high net worth people who don’t fit the rigid guidelines of the banks and they are after short term finance so they can add value and then sell or refiance asap.

2nd mortgages are more risky as the 1st mortgagee naturally has first access to the security if things go wrong, then the second mortgagee. So if the valuations were a bit high, or prices have dropped or the security property has deteriorated in someway, then the second mortgagee could do their dough.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.