All Topics / Forum Frolic / learn to speak like a new Zealander

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

i know many of you guys have and are heading over to New Zealand to look for realestate and have a holiday. i came across this very helpful translation document hope it helps. for Bist Effect say these aloud
    Milburn- capital of victoria
    Peck – to fill a suit case
    Pissed Aside – chemicals to kill insects
    Pigs – for hanging out you washing with
    Nin tin dough – computer game
    McKennock – man who fixes cars
    Mere – mayor
    Lift – departed
    Kiri Pecker – famous Australian Businessman
    Min – male of the species
    Mess Kara – eye makeup
    Beers – large dangerous animal found in North america
    more later
    westan

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

My sister has a NZ exchange student friend, and she is exactly like that westan. I needed a luagh a like that thanks [;)]

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Westan

Ether yor NZ speek is pritty good or mi Ossie speek is pritty good bt I coold understand u quite well when u and yor luvely wife came visiting recintly.

Noneed to lern nu werds as our langiwg is pritty close.

pigs are policemen for aresting pepall not for haning cloths.

sdrager

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

what about the classic one “you want fish and chops?”

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

@muppet

Hi Secret Intelligence Service.

Yes I have heard that one. It depends which Private School you went to and how big the plum is in your mouth.

Try chish and fips.

Regards

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys heres some more
    muppet you could understand me because i practiced on these ones.
    Iggs Ecktly – precisely
    One Doz – a well know computer program
    Beard – a place to sleep
    Ear – mix of nitrogen and oxygen
    Ever cardeau – advocado
    inner me- enemy
    Ken’s – Cairns
    bye[:D]

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

quote:

Hi Secret Intelligence Service.

Yes I have heard that one. It depends which Private School you went to and how big the plum is in your mouth.

Try chish and fips.

Regards

Hi Muppet, lol i cant say “chish and fips” lol even getting the words out are hard enough, lol

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of www.Landlords.co.nzwww.Landlords.co.nz
    @www.landlords.co.nz

From the point of view of a kiwi recently emmigrated to these warm shores of australia.

Initially very few poeple picked up my accent.

Then something happened.
    The only way to describe it is that:

the occasional aussie that did pick it, attempted to make fun of it. So i preempted it by forming the aussie stereo type accent that the above promotes.

Then it was funny for me to get lots of aussies going – aha! youre a kiwi. When really I was laughing to myself that they have no idea.

I do love aussie tho. The only problem being I can never seem to find a cup!

World Cup
    Bledisloe
    Tri Nations
    Netball WC……..

Craig
    NZ Property Investing News
    http://www.Landlords.co.nz

@westan

we have a davis one[:D]

whats this Bledislow[?] haven’t heard of that before
    Craig
    its interesting that you say often we aussies don’t pick up the NZ accent, i find i could be talking to someone then all of a sudden they say one word and i Know they are a kiwi.
    i’m doing the opposite craig i’m heading to NZ to live on Dec 31st. when i’ve been there or talking on the phone they pick me an aussie all the time.
    i was reading the news about a sad story from new zealand about a young boy who was being abused by his parents (yes i know it can happen anywhere), when they substantiated the beating they asked the boy would he like to live with his grand parents and he said “no, they beat me also”, when they enquired about any aunts etc he continued to protest that they beat him also. So they asked who he wanted to live with. he responded “i want to live with the All Blacks”, when they asked why he said “they don’t beat anyone”.[:D]
    westan
    regards westan

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

What’s that one where they wear pyjamas?

Oh yeah, the cricket world cup, and also that one for where they play the game over lots of days and wear white? Test Matches, I think they call them?

Cheers
    Mel

@muppet

Hi Westan

What, NOT heard of the Bledisloe Cup.

Believe it or not it is a cup played for between the All Blacks and the Wallabies every year.

It has been played for, for about a million years.

AND this year we own it for the first time in about 3 or 4 years.

I see we might be getting Russell Coutts back to helm the New Zealand challenge for the Americas Cup in Europe next year.

Apparently he has been given the sack by the Swiss.

He has won 14 races in a row for the Americas Cup.

Regards

@westan

hi muppet

i do know what the bledisloe cup is, i was just teasing you.[:)] Yes i know what it is, i, like most Aussies couldn’t care less about it. its to do with a game over here that’s not real popular (rugby) you see in OZ the real football is aussie rules.
    regards westan

@muppet

Hi Westan

Aussie Rules?

Is that the game which has pretty boys wearing real tight shorts and very short sleeved singlets run around throwing a ball to their mates?

Regards

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hello!

Aside from the jokes about men in tights…or shorts, or with squeky voices …
    My favourite on how to spot a NZlander is when they say the number 6. It always comes out a little different then they probably intended it too.
    (Yep, I do giggle like a little schoolgirl, but I try not too) [:0)]

Must run…

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    One of our friends is a Kiwi and I always like it when she refers to judderbars and chillibins.
    But we shouldnt just pick on our neighbours across the sea, the people down here in NSW laugh at me when I tell their kids to get in their togs and the lady at the deli in Coles the other day gave me a real strange look when I asked for cherios.
    And rugby league is the real football not that fancy pancy aussie rules.
    Erika

@muppet

Hi Guys

I see that nobody has bought any property in Waikicamoocou yet. I had a look on Realenz the other day and therewere lots of positive cash flow properties available.

Seeing as how the Aussie interest rate is set to go thru the roof, there will be lots more properties come on stream in little ol NZ.

So the sooner you learn all these New Zealanderisms the easier it will be for youse guys to find all the bargains.

Regards

@westan

hi all

erica whats a “chillibin” and for that matter cherios ?

Bob in regard to Waikicamoocou, you might be trying to “milk” a better price from us, i prefer the “udder” place, yes no “bull”.
    bye westan

@melbear

Hey Westan

I now that a ‘chillibin’ is an esky, but I don’t know cherios, and what’s a judderbar?

Cheers
    Mel

@muppet

Hi Guys

For the unintelligent – use a dictionary. Any good New Zealand dictionary will explain very carefully what a juddarbar is, what cherios are and what a chillibin is.

Jeez guys, the answers are simple. Yeah as simple as winning the the World Rugbu Cup.

Now to save youse guys the cost of rushing out to Dymocks and buying a good New Zealnad dictionary listen carefully while I explain.

Judder = a juddering motion. Therefore bars or small humps usually placed across roads to slow traffic.

Cherio = an abbreviated form of saying goodbye.
    Not really. They are very short red skinned sausages. Usually boiled before eating using toothpicks.

Chiller = NZ. A refrigerated storage area.
    Therefore chillibin being an insulated carry container for keeping tinnies or steinies cold while you are watching cricket at the Melbourne Cricket Ground .

Regards

Actually I was using the Collins Concise Dictionary(2001) and none of the words were in it.

@melbear

Muppet, so what you’re really saying is:

Judderbars are speedhumps and
    Cherios are ‘little boys’

It’d certainly be easier if you guys spoke Australian like the rest of us[:)]. Oh that’s right, we decided not to have you as a state didn’t we.[:O]

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.