Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of uncivilizeduncivilized
    @uncivilized

I have just received a pest report from a property I was going to purchase.
    The report states that there are termites in a couple of trees in the back yard, no nest was found and the house is not affected.
    Has anyone experienced this problem before?
    What would you do?

matt

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi matt

i haven’t had this problem before. it would be better if they found the nest i would think then you can destroy the problem. i’d probably ask for a reduction in the price. be completely honest with the seller and tell them how much it will cost to fix the problem. Termites are always a worry i believe they can travel 100’s of meters and pop up and eat your house (yummy)[:P]
    westan

Profile photo of dennisdennis
    @dennis

If you live in Sydney, you would be familiar with the problem. The nests are everywhere. Provided you take reasonable precautions and inspect regularly, you won’t have a problem.[:X]

Profile photo of uncivilizeduncivilized
    @uncivilized

the property is in QLD and the owners have already taken spot treatment for remove the termites. The report recommends that treatment is not essential , however regular inspections are.

matt

Profile photo of riffraffriffraff
    @riffraff

If they have already had the problem once ask how they fixed it?

me personally, if there were termites on the property I wouldnt do it.

What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi uncivilised (interesting moniker!)

I bought my property with termites in the tree, PPOR, subject to them finding the nest and treating it, however the nest as Westan says can be 100s metres away. The area I live in is high risk for termites and have had many friends with major problems, all which seemingly get fixed. It has made me less fearful of termites now and now I just keep a vigilant check.

However you could ask for perimeter treatment AS 3660 (around 3 grand), or a termite wash to go under the house and make that part of the contract. A good pest report should have stated the actions that could be taken to prevent termites getting into the house (though nothing is 100% effective). 1 in 5 houses in australia are attacked by termites at some time in their life.

Good luck, sunshine

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

There are termite baits available that can be placed around the trees. The termites will feed on these and then infect their nest. Ask the termite inspection guy.

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

We purchased a unit in FNQ last year over the net. The agent was honest enough to tell us that a cupboard in the kitchen had been replaced due to termites and emailed photos. We had a pest inspection done, spoke to the pest man who also treated a tree nearby and there have been no further problems. We will be having that checked again as it is just 12 months.

The purchase was subject to satisfactory pest report of course.

Anna

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

quote:

I have just received a pest report from a property I was going to purchase.
    The report states that there are termites in a couple of trees in the back yard, no nest was found and the house is not affected.
    Has anyone experienced this problem before?
    What would you do?

matt

Hi uncivlized,

For me personally, i have only had this problem once, if there is signs of termite activity which can be stopped and controlled, i will set out in my contract the usual, subjected to pest inspection, if there is a case of termites. i will contact my solictor to get in contact with the vendor solictor and stipulate a clause that will ask them to fixs up the termite problem. At their expenses, if they wish for this settlement and contract to continue. But some places i have looked at have had termite problems and ive had to terminate the contract immediatly.

Properties with termite problems are much often harder to sell as the person who is seekin or wanting to purchase your property will want a fair and hefty discount or negotiated price.

hope this helps

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Agree with the others,

Don’t let the termites put you off in some areas they’re always around, 2mw the neighbours yard 2 weeks later yours, the problem is when they hit the house! stipulate in the contract the seller has to pay for treatment, you also want a copy of the treatment report, over here ( WA )the pest control Co puts a sticker stipulating date/treatment etc in your meter box ( something to look for when you purchase property too).

ensure the Pest control Co is a member of the local board ( there’s dodgy operators in every industry) and quality assured.

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.