All Topics / Opinionated! / Ulyssians??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

After attending a one day property seminar in Perth on Sunday I noted that many of those seeking investment advise are in their early 20’s and starting out and then those above 40 who have woken up and realised that they will not get a John Howard scholorship when they retire despite paying taxes for 40+ years. They are now looking at what they can do to become self funded retirees.

I then wondered how many of those above 40’s are also motorbike riders and if so belong to Ulysses. My hubby and I are riding over from Perth next March for the AGM in Geelong and that got me thinking that some of you guys may also be there and should we catch up for happy hour one evening and swap some yarns.

Fibejebe.
    [:)]

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

My husband and I have been Ulyssians for 10 years odd now but will not be going to Geelong. I sold my 1100V-Star months back and hubby’s Goldwing is for sale now. We have come to the realization that we need a decent retirement income for the future and the bikes just have to go for the time being. Hope you have a wonderful time as we have had at all the AGM’s attended in the past.

Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

Sorry you wont be there Judith. I would rather sell my soul than sell any of the bikes. We’ve got three between us. His, hers and ours. [:D]

We are going to go to the Goldwing AGM in Cooma 3 weeks after the Ulyssian one. Popping up to Qld in between to inspect one of our properties. So will be doing around 14,000km in 5 weeks. Not taking my bike (a Sporty 883). I am gonna just sit back and watch the scenery on this trip.

I am the editor of our local Ulysses club newsletter. Let me know if you want to put an ad in for the Goldwing. Most of the guys in the wingdings over here bought their bikes sight unseen from the Eastern states and had them crated across as it is so much cheaper than buying them here.

Fibejebe
    [:)]

@fibejebe

Surely there are one or two more Two wheelers lurking here.
    Fibejebe.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Maybe all Ulyssians have spent their money on bikes [^] We went for an early morning coffee ride to Dome Mandurah yesterday and passed quite a few bikes on our way home. Wondered if it might have been the Mandurah Group. We were home by 10.30 and spent the rest of the day up to our armpits in building rubble. Just another normal Sunday [:D]

@fibejebe

We didn’t go on Sunday’s ride. Did the Perth xmas charity toy run on Saturday with 7,000 other bikes. Got the Mandurah one this Saturday. Lotsa fun and a worthy cause.
    Fibejebe.

quote:

We went for an early morning coffee ride to Dome Mandurah yesterday and passed quite a few bikes on our way home.

Profile photo of hilaryhilary
    @hilary

Fibejebe, you got me thinking with your comment about a “John Howard scholarship”………

Why are these pollies getting such fat super payouts, when they are expecting us to be self funded retirees?????????

Time for a groundswell of public opinion to put them in our place!!!!!!!

Letters to the editor coming up!![:(!][:(!]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

I’m not quiet 40 yet, but yeah an old time biker I guess, I been riding since I was about 6 and at 39 I do it for a living, I actually own the longest serving Harley Company in SA despite the public liability insurance killing me atm. I am in the process of winding up tho. I been saying that for 3 years………….LOL I started about 10 years ago.

And yes im a Harley man …….[:D], and yes Bear my nick come from my past in the bike world.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of showmethemoneyshowmethemoney
    Participant
    @showmethemoney-2

So Fibejebe you were one of the many bikes roaring through town and over the bridge on Saturday? It was quite a spectacle, kids loved it? I had brief longings for a bike of my own!

Clive

@fibejebe

Bear,
    We are thinking of moving to Whyalla. I reckon we should be able to go on some great rides from there thru the Flinders. Could be a bit of fun. Where is your company? Will give you a hoi if I need any more chrome. [:D]

ShowMeTheMoney,
    Yep, both hubby and I were on that ride last Saturday on seperate bikes. There were 480 bikes all up. Bit of a fun day and a good cause. Barely get out of second gear tho. One of the slowest rides I have ever been to and it is only from the Ravo to the foreshore.

Hilary,
    Especially as most of us are watching our super go backwards.

Fibejebe.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm to sell the harley, or not sell the harley???? This is a question I/we have been pondering…….
    Technically it’s my hubby’s, his mid-life crisis thingy…an expensive doodad. Equal to a couple of good deposits on cf+ investments! He did enjoy the charity run on Sunday, I gess he needs some fun in his life [;)]
    Excuse my complete ignorance, but what are Ulyssians?

Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@fibejebe

Ulysses is the biggest motorbike club in the Southern Hemisphere with over 22,000 active members. Criteria for junior membership is that you have to be 40 years of age and for full membership you have to be 50.
    http://www.ulysses.org.au/

As far as selling the Harley to use as a deposit on a couple of CF+ IPs. That is a really hard one. Not sure that I would be prepared to do it yet. Maybe in 20 years time when I am a really old fuddy duddy.
    Fibejebe.

quote:

Hi Guys,
    Excuse my complete ignorance, but what are Ulyssians?

Participant
    @bear1964

Springtime in the flinders, is excellent bike riding, so are the Adelaide hills. I live in the Salisbury area and now days run the business from, but not sure how much longer. I been thinking about moving to Whyalla myself cheap enough there and would give me more money to use on properties with out interest.

If you move to Whyalla, don’t go to Adelaide for Genuine Harley parts, go to Port Lincoln to Cowley’s Motorcycles, he is a great guy and a Harley dealer, I know people on Adelaide including myself that get their stuff from him even tho we are already in Adelaide.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

hi Fibejebe,
    Thaks for the info, feel a bit silly not knowing about such a large group[:I]
    Glad to hear it wasn’t a gang, though

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@fibejebe

quote:

Glad to hear it wasn’t a gang, though

Define “gang”. I know of a number of religions that are glorified gangs! A gang is but a brotherhood of likeminded persons with a common belief – so is a religion. [}:)]

(Fibejebe checks to make sure this is in the opinionated section before hitting the post new reply button.)
    [:D]

@fibejebe

Bear,
    Thanks for the info. I believe Whyalla has had a declining population for some years now. Almost a third decline in population the past 6 years according to a business owner we spoke to. Haven’t checked it out ourselves, but he was saying a drop from 35,000 in its peak to about 24,000 now. Sounds like a great place to live but not a good place to invest in.
    Fibejebe.

Participant
    @bear1964

Hi Fibejebe

I know some people that have invested there and done very well, but since it was put on ACA a few months ago it has alot of investors flocking there atm.

Some one I know purchased 2 houses adjoined and made it one 6 bedroom house and 2 bathrooms for less then $50k all up including reno’s. She studies at uni there so they plan on living there for a few years.

As far as it being a nice place im not sure as I have never stoped there I just always pass it, but if u like snapper fishing, it’s meant to be the best place on the planet if u got a boat.

Regards Bear

@fibejebe

Funny you should say that. Hubby mentioned tonight that maybe we need a tinny. [8D]

Participant
    @bear1964

Cool, let him get his tinny, and ill come and show him where all the great fishing spots are there. Not that i know , but SHHHHHHHHHHHH dont tell him [;)][:D]

Regards Bear

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.