All Topics / General Property / Top 10 places in Australia

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

In the latest Qld Sunday Mail newspaper there was an small article which listed Noosa as No. 4 and Townsville as No. 8 in the “Top 10 Growth Towns/Cities in Australia”.

Has anyone seen the full report? Where are the others in the top 10?

Thanks
    Shirley

Profile photo of PhoenixrisingPhoenixrising
    @phoenixrising

Shirley,

Daily telegraph ran the story on Mon.
    Could not find the link to post it.

Anyway,

1 Ballarat (can see a picture in my mind of Steve with a [:D] )

2 Hawkesbury nsw

3 Alice Springs

4 Noosa

5 Bendigo

6 Shoalhaven nsw

7 Ballina

8 Townsville

9 Byron

10 Bathurst (go Brockie)

11 Shellharbour nsw

12 Hastings ?

13 Cessnock nsw

14 Goldfields wa

Cheers

Geoff

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Folks…

If my email box is any sort of a guide..

(99) Sydney Units

(100) Melbourne Units

Or is it the other way ???

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Well, looks like our future home town is at number 5, not bad!

Fudge111 & Broz00

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp
    Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

Geoff – thanks for the info. Most of our investments are in Townsville. It’s good to know we’ve made some good decisions.

Any comments on the list from Cairns forumites? There’s a fair bit of rivalry between the two towns in lots of ways and Townsville usually comes off second best.

Cheers
    Shirley

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

im hope the property boom, holds and carries on till late next year in townsville, though i think you are gonna get more CG from Townsville that Cairns. Cairns was a little pricey and Townsville has plenty of positive CG still to come.

cheers
    s.i.s

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

fyi Hastings is the Port Macquarie area on the mid north coast NSW – great spot and has had huge growth in the last couple of years. HG

Profile photo of Kimmy1Kimmy1
    @kimmy1

Thanks for those links (and the first list). We’ve recently bought in the Hawkesbury, and have also heard ‘hot tips’ since then that our suburb is expected to go through the roof. I’m not entirely sure given the cooling market, that it will happen this cycle, but its certainly one of the few Sydney regions that is hovering under the median house price. Its a beautiful place to live: no smog, lots of space and 1hr and a bit to the city. Come on over everyone – I’d like some more equity in my house!![:D]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

So these are the top places with baby boomer POPULATION growth potential which has not a lot to do with top capital growth places.

These are the places that will have their local economies hurt by all the oldies moving in and the kids moving out [;)]

@peterp

Hi Anubis – a couple of points:

1. I don’t think ‘oldies moving in and kids moving out’ was the main driver of growth in all cases. Otherwise WA Goldfields (40 degrees in summer, 300km from the beach and with a low aged population) wouldn’t be on the list.

2. Areas with oldies moving in and kids moving out would be heaps better than areas where no one is moving in! There will be young people needed to do the jobs necessary. Most would be low-end service jobs like lawnmowing, but there would also be some medical vacancies.

On the latter, governments should make Medicare provider numbers location-specific to force doctors to move beyond the wineries, golf courses and cafe strips to where they’re needed most.

Peter

Profile photo of DinoWebDinoWeb
    @dinoweb

Sorry, maybe I’m missing the point, but doesn’t that mean these would have been the best places to buy in the last year, not the best places to buy now?

Not one of these is in a capital city, the areas which filled the top 10 for the past several years.

What does this mean. Regional areas are catching up with the cities.

If cities are set to fall, than the regionals will not be far behind. Bad news travels faster than good news.

Wait for the cities to rise again, then buy regional.

Dino

“If you don’t know where you are going, every road will take you there.”

@shirley_2

ANUBIS – your point isn’t valid in relation to Townsville – it’s a university town. Maybe all the oldies moving into town will become students which is good for the local economy! I did – completed my MBA at 51.
    Shirley

Profile photo of Agent007Agent007
    Participant
    @agent007

It is possible that these top 10 growth areas would be not on our top 10 for +ve cashflow properties in a “buy & hold” situation. As they maybe be peaking now.

However a good bargain may still be found there if you look hard enough.

But maybe nearby there are “sleeper” towns or regions that will be next to grow.

Interesting times ahead with very important investing lessons for all of us.

I believe the RE market still has some way to go up in many areas, until interest rates hit 1 to 2% above where they are now.

But I look forward to the great bargain buying opportunities that should be there when Australia eneters a bear market in RE.

Do others feel the same way?

Cheers,

David Paxton
    “You Only Live Twice”

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Guys – you missed the point of the article I think. It is top baby boomer population growth – not capital growth. The two do not go hand in hand. It is about people seeking a sea change lifestyle and the areas that top those lists.

It is not property (or price rise) based.

My other comments were tongue in cheek re-economics, hence the *WINK*

Profile photo of MonkeyMagicMonkeyMagic
    @monkeymagic

Shirley,

I know townsville had a large student population but I thought it mas mainly an army town.

Josh

@peterp

I’d encourage everyone with an interest in this to look at the ALGA media release (URL given previously) as well as the newspaper articles (which only tell half the story).

This release has two lists, (1) places where employment growth outstrips population growth and (2) cities that though their performance may have been lacklustre have growth potential.

Note that the article that Geoff quoted mentioned only the second list.

Some have expressed concern about the prospects of areas that have had an influx of lowish income pensioners (eg movement from Sydney to SEQld).

The main concern from an investing standpoint is that low income pensioners don’t have the spending power to create many local jobs. But on the other hand I see nothing wrong with these areas if you’re seeking reliable income from long-term retired tenants rather than much capital growth.

I would suggest that the easiest way to identify low income retirement areas:

1. High aged population
    2. Growing population
    3. Low average incomes
    4. Low participation rate in workforce
    5. Employment growth is lower than population growth (opposite to ALGA report list)
    6. Young people flocking to the city
    7. Proportion of people who moved from Sydney!!!

However these characteristics are not necessarily true of all places with a high aged population.

Mandurah could be an example. The ALGA report shows that it had a high employment growth relative to population. This is not consistent with an area where the pensioners have nothing to spend! Also the house price differential between Perth metro and Mandurah is not as stark as Sydney and Qld. Also Mandurah has commuter potential when the fast rail opens in 2007.

Peter

@shirley_2

Hi Josh
    Re your post on Townsville – yes we do have a big army base but also airforce, about 12,000 uni students and staff and also industry (Qld Nickel, Korea Zinc etc). Population is about 150,000 – it’s the 2nd biggest city in Qld.

It’s as dry as a bone at present but not a bad place to work, live…and invest!

Cheers
    Shirley

Profile photo of IndifferenceIndifference
    @indifference

I would like to add to the Townsville/Cairns sub-thread.

Townsville has a large population with regular turnover for mainly ADF and Uni pers. Hence, there is generally a good property demand. ADF numbers including family would rival the Uni presence (in my opinion) & they tend to have more disposable income.

Cairns is tourism based. High transient population and the area is is starting to lift again… because tourism is. My ” ol’ man” has been doing the property investment circuit in Cairns for about 15yrs and he has seen signs of growth in the entire region not just the CBD.

Commonality: Both have had large foreshore redevelopments in recent years and this has attracted more ‘out of town’ investment.

Oh, and on the T’ville front – I have first hand experience as one of the categories I mentioned.

…emotion clouds good judgement but is a defining element of character.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.