All Topics / General Property / Getting monies awarded by tenancy tribunal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MalachiiMalachii
    Participant
    @malachii

A little while ago we had some tenants do some damage to a property and stop paying rent etc. This was taken to tribunal and we were awarded costs for damages (they were evicted). Some was covered by insurance but a lot wasn’t. We have been told that the tenants have to pay the amount awarded by tribunal but the question is HOW do we get them to pay? Is there anyone we can go to? Anybody got any experience with this. Its about $5000 collectively so its no small amount.

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Malachii…

I’m not sure if the tribunal can give you the power to have the tenants salary garnisheed or not. I have taken a tenant to the small claims court on behalf of a client and received $x per week for 2 years paid by his employer directly to my Agency.

Check with Mel or the Tribunal to see if you have the power to garnishee wages.

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Malachii

Which state is your property in?

I beleive you can go to the local court and get a summons issued. For a small fee the sherrif can then serve the summons on the tenant and they have a few weeks to pay or dispute the matter. Then the sherriff can garnish their pay or seize goods to be sold. I think it works like that in NSW.

$5000 is a large amount and you shold chase them.

If you want you could put the matter in the hands of a debt collector. They will chase the debt for you and take a percentage as their fee.
    see http://www.profcoll.com.au/fees.htm for one such company.

good luck

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Hi

I need to recover some money that tribunal awarded me.

I did a search and found this. I will give them a try. Has anyone dealt with these people before? Its my first experience doing this.

Profile photo of MalachiiMalachii
    Participant
    @malachii

Hi Yack

Yeah – I actually did use them and found they were worth about what they charge – nothing!! After submitting all the paper work I heard nothing much until I contacted them after 2 weeks. They said that they had sent out letters. When I went to confirm with them where the letters had been sent they hadn’t got any addresses in the system so I gave them again. Another 2 weeks and I called them only to be told that they had “sent letters”. I asked where they had sent them to and they looked it up on the computer only to realize that there wasn’t any address details and could I give them to them again over the phone. This went on like this with subtle varitions on the theme for about 3 and a half months before I gave up. They would very rarely contact me and when I talked to them – they would ask me for information that had been submitted earlier both in writing and verbally.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Malachii/Yack

There MUST be other companies out there that do this sort of thing – esp seeing as I got a letter in the mail last week from someone I refuse to pay (NII – Henry Kaye) saying that they were going to send a collection agency round…..

Maybe if they do contact me I’ll put their details up here? Depends how good they are of course[biggrin]

If you do a google search it should come up with some?

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.