All Topics / General Property / Interstate Investing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Alexander2Alexander2
    Participant
    @alexander2

I’m doind some work locating potential positively geared properties interstate… What I’dlike to know is how to make sure you’ve got a potential investment ratherthan a lemon without being able to see the place. Who would be the person I get to value and inspect the property who I can trust[?][?]

Profile photo of want2brichwant2brich
    @want2brich

good question! I’ve been wondering about this for a long time[8)]

Profile photo of Alexander2Alexander2
    Participant
    @alexander2

Has anybody done, or is anybody doing this right now??
    Should I be making the effort to actually get a few potentials and make the trip myself[?]

Profile photo of rocket2rocket2
    @rocket2

A network of likeminded peole around Australia could probably inspect properties for each other. I wonder where you’d find people like that???[^]

Profile photo of Alexander2Alexander2
    Participant
    @alexander2

Great point[:D] I wonder if anyone out there lives anywhere in Central QL and would be able to check a place in Biloela for me… hehehe[:P]

Profile photo of rocket2rocket2
    @rocket2

Sorry, Newcastle & Hunter Valley is where I hail from. Regards Rocket[8D]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Alexander,

Many of us on this board would be investing interstate. With the advent of the internet, Australia looks very small :o)

Here’s a few ways you casn check out the inside of a place without seeing it.

* Ask for photos of the inside of the premises from the vendor or RE- a “virtual tour” with moving cam might be possible. If the RE thinks you’re serious about buying, they might do one for you.

* if the place is multilisted by RE’s, then you can ask all of them a heap of questions about the place. Ask the same questions to each of them and see what answers you get.

* You could probably offer a local RE to check the place out for you for $100? Dunno how effective this might be. But I know RE’s want future relationships with buyers. So they might be willing to help you out in this way. Make sure they do a checklist on the place. But the vendor or selling RE might kick them out if they know them
    [:O]

* Get a copy of the body corporate minutes or ring up the Strata Managers and ask them if there are any problems with the block of units if it’s a unit. They’re usually pretty happy to have a chat about this stuff.

* A building and pest inspector can check out the place for you- you’ll have to pay him or her though :o)

If you know nothing of the town, have no pictures and know little of the place you’re buying, I would suggest *strongly* that you visit it before purchasing. I have bought places sight unseen, but both places had virtual tours on the net, and i asked a million questions from every person who has had any association with them. I rang up independent RE’s asking about the units, rang up pest insepctors before even thinking about buying and getting my own inspection done, spoke to onsite managers, strata managers, checked out past sale prices, everything I could find on the net about the town and the area etc.

kay henry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.