All Topics / Opinionated! / suits v’s jeans

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of BronnyBronny
    Participant
    @bronny

Since looking at properties for the last 5 years
    I thought RE agents in suits were like cars salespeople, but after a recent run in with an
    agent from Sea n Side at Largs Bay, my attitude
    has changed. This guy David Loper a young american
    dude, wore a cap,jeans,worn tshirt & joggers.
    I met him at an open on a group of units at Albert Park, I was very interested and wanted to put in an offer, he had no forms and was going to fax me one, never did and 1 week later rang to see if I was still interested..NO!! I told him. All I can say is I now appreciate a suit!!!

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Bronny,

Might I suggest that he wasn’t the agent after all. Sounds more like a keen buyer waiting for the actual agent to return from one of the other units.

This guy had your number, the agent’s card and might just have taken advantage of the waiting time to put off interested parties. Then he phones you a week later to check his tracks for competition. Did the business card have a photo on it?

Nah, no-one would do that would they? Lot’s of agents get around in dirty t-shirts.

Kind regards, Phil

Profile photo of BronnyBronny
    Participant
    @bronny

Hi LuckyPhil
    He was an agent I got his card with a photo,
    he was just so unorganised, I just reckon at least a guy in a suit looks organised. It was also the first time I’ve never shaken a RE agents
    hand.
    I just reckon he was in a hurry to get to the beach as he wasn’t interested in selling me anything.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi again Bronny,

That is almost unbelievable. It just doesn’t add up does it? It’s like opening a shop door, then refusing to sell anything. Sounds like this guy might be enjoying the beach permanently before too long.

All the best, Phil

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

I haven’t met an Agent in jeans before but even in suits some of them don’t take me seriously.

I’m always very specific in my requirements so it often takes me 1 or 2 weekends for the agent to find for me the right one.

May be it’s the way I dress : jeans, boots, white shirt, cap and back pack! Perhaps I must be in dress or suits to get their attention.

[:)]

Huey

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i think that we shouldnt really judge people by how they dress.

bronny – the bloke you spoke to was probably just incompetent. ive met heaps of ‘suits’ who are incompetent also.

its funny though because where i live there are heaps of hippy looking dudes who look like bums but carry gold cards in there wallets. (im one of them)

i once went into a realestate agent asking about a specific property and she looked me up and down and asked me if i realised how expensive this property and suburb was…….

i was wearing tracky dacks and a t-shirt as i had just finished doing some cleaning around the house.

i left that agent, went to the one next door and asked them if they could get a hold of the same house and put in an offer via the other agent……

imagine the banker who turned down richard branson for a business loan because he looked like a hippy dropout….

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Aussierogue,

Long time, no chat. Not so much the jeans I was in disbelief about, but the fact that an agent would get back to a prospect by fax. Then call a week later?

I too have learnt that dress codes tend to be diametrically opposed to one’s ability. Like someone said to me: “If you can’t be yourself, who can you be”? I admire blokes like Branson who take the piss out of others while making money with each step. Ever notice how he is always smiling in any media photos?

In the agent’s case here, sounds like doesn’t give a s^^t, that’s different altogether.

Kind regards, Phil

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day phil. tks yr post. im still around lurking…

ref richard branson – i hear ya

its great when ‘individuals’ inject some colour and energy into the ‘establishment’….

it helps breakdown cliches, etc especially in business……….

we need them more than we know……..

plus he looks like hes having a bloody great time…[:D]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

the last agent I went looking with drove us around in a brand new beamer.

business must be good….

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

hey guys

you think you have it hard, i still look like a kid.

worst bit is, nearly every bank i applied with for my first loan, didnt even look at me.

well life goes on.

cheers
    S.I.S

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

dolf de roos bought his first property at 17 when interest rates were 27 percent. he looked like a kid too. You can do it too.
    just identify what the actual problems are and solve them one by one.
    for example using a mortgage broker would be a good start.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

As I said in another post, when my ex and I went to get our first loan, we took the mortgage broker out the back of our shared uni household, and sat him down on a milk crate. At the time, she was earning 13k and I was earning 17k- both on part-time jobs, and we still got our loan! :o) (the mortgage broker was probably wearing a suit though- hehe)

I tend to think that the industry has casualised a lot. Gone are the days when getting a loan was all about sitting in a small chair in frint of a mahogany desk of the bank manager, whilst he sat in a larger chair and peered at you from his pince-nez. I think the advent of the mortgage broker coming to your home is one of the best things that could have happened to the industry.

I must say as a person who doesn’t own a suit, it isn’t relevant these days with the way I have bought my last two IP’s- sigh unseen from the internet, all transactions and business done on the phone with lawyers, lending authorities, RE agents and others. Forms sent by mail etc. I could have two heads as far as any of them knows!

kay henry

Profile photo of EcclesEccles
    @eccles

I remember once when I was looking for a property and found one I dashed into the RE with daggy old clothes on ( I had just finished shearing!)
    I was pointedly ignored at that time. There was no one else in the agancy and no one was on the phone and when I said escuse me they turned away from me. The next day I wandered in all cleaned up and in my neat skirt and blazer and they couldn’t wait to help me jumped up eagerly.

I told them off, tpld the boss off and then the regional manager and then went to another real estate and got the property after telling them this was what was going to happen….aaah sweet revenge!

Bronwen

If the good die young then I will live forever

Profile photo of NamasteNamaste
    @namaste

At the risk of P’ing some one off – If you’re a girl you better dress right. Its hard getting REA’s to take you seriously when you are a girl. It helps a bit if you “power” dress though I hate it. A couple of times I’ve taken a male with me only to have the agent direct all the answers to my questions to my male companion!!! I swear, never once replying to me and even turning their body slightly away from me. It’d be nice to just walk away and go somewhere else but if I did that I would be losing 70% of the agents. Same happened when I was buying a car and it’s not just the blokes that do it.

Namasté

Profile photo of theREALestateAGENTtheREALestateAGENT
    @therealestateagent
    Originally posted by Bronny:

I thought RE agents in suits were like cars salespeople, but after a recent run in with an
    I met him at an open on a group of units at Albert Park, I was very interested and wanted to put in an offer, he had no forms and was going to fax me one, never did and 1 week later rang to see if I was still interested..NO!! I told him. All I can say is I now appreciate a suit!!!

well if you had given the correct fax number you may have received the info. rather than be a peanut and respect the fact the I had come to show you the property on my time, as you are obviously unable to read the paper for open times, you mighten have been looking for 5 years. DON’T FORGET WE ARE PEOPLE TOO AND YOU JUST GO ABOUT YOURSELF ASKING IF I WANT FRIES WITH THAT!! PEANUT

Profile photo of Just LearningJust Learning
    @just-learning
    Originally posted by theREALestateAGENT:

Originally posted by Bronny:

well if you had given the correct fax number you may have received the info. rather than be a peanut and respect the fact the I had come to show you the property on my time, as you are obviously unable to read the paper for open times, you mighten have been looking for 5 years. DON’T FORGET WE ARE PEOPLE TOO AND YOU JUST GO ABOUT YOURSELF ASKING IF I WANT FRIES WITH THAT!! PEANUT

Whoa…. obviously a few issues going on here that are probably best sorted out offline.

Was drawn to this post because I read the forum regularly and this one has never come up in active posts yet had so may replies, now can see why, last post before today was in 2003.

My immediate thought was how the tables have turned. I was not in the market in 2003 as a buyer or a seller. As a 45 yo cynic I just laugh about concerned buyers not being taken seriously by agents because of the way they are dressed… ummm who is the customer here ?…does the agent think he is god because he’s in an Armani suit and a leased BMW ? – dunno, but sounds like the original poster must live in the eastern suburbs of Sydney as do I, where yuppism/wankerism is still breeding. Both sides should get over it and move on and in particular treat the wankers with the contempt they deserve. If some narrow minded house/car salesman wants to treat you differently because of what you wear or whats between your legs then move on – its unfortunate that people with attitudes like that are sharing the same air that the rest of us breath.

Maybe if you where a buyer in 2003 that was ignored because of the way you were dressed or your gender you could take the deposit you had then and use it now to buy the REA’s business ? [eh]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.