All Topics / General Property / capital gains again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of beerboybeerboy
    Participant
    @beerboy

if i make a profit of 20 grand off a block of vacant land within 12 months.if i put it under my mothers name who is a pensioner and does not pay tax.(well under the asset limit)do we have to pay tax.

Profile photo of kkowalskkkowalsk
    @kkowalsk

At a guess, it will reduce her pension payment (which is asset-tested). And of course, when sold, she will be liable for CGT.

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

k
    you are absolutely correct. i have a friend who was going to buy his mothers house (she’s on a pension) as she couldnt afford the repayments.
    the agreement was he would own the house but she would live in it till she died. they went off the the pension mob, who told them that she would lose 60 dollars a fortnight, not sure why, something to do with assets.

Profile photo of beerboybeerboy
    Participant
    @beerboy

[cheers for the info [:)]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yep. the gain would just be added to her income. ie on top of the pension. so she may pay tax, but this may be less than the tax that you would pay. But it will affect her pension. so be careful.

have you considered a discretionary trust. You may be able then, to give her a bit of the income and keep the rest yourself.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.