All Topics / General Property / Real Estate Agents

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of RAC28HRAC28H
    Participant
    @rac28h

I have been in contact via email to a number of different real estate agents. Problem is only about 20% of them have bothered to respond to my questions. I know that I should probably call them but if they have an email facility why are they not using it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a prompt response or any response at all from the estate agents? I just don’t think they are taking me seriously.

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

hi

real estate agents are very busy, and the best and quickest way to get in touch with them is via the phone. If you want to build a relationship, it’s the best way rather than relying on emails.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

I’ve had the same problem. if you read jenmans book, his theory is that RE agents arent interested in buyers, just getting more houses on the market. I even went to the trouble of making appointments to speak to them, but in a booming market they are not interested. Ive asked people at a RE investment course i did, and they all had the same problem. they explained it as:
    in a booming market “they will run with the hares”
    and in a market slum “they will then have to swim with the sharks”
    one way i found that worked was to have pre approval so when i made a bid on a property i had it attached. they take notice of you then!
    just dont make the same mistake i made which was not to white out how much money i could borrow, boy did they want to up the price then!

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi RAC,

I agree with r on this one. You need to develop rapport on a more personal basis first. Use the telephone and then later try emails. Most of the REA’s I know are to busy to sit down and spend time doing emails, that’s what the assistants are for. Also using the phone adds a little more pressure as they have to answer your questions now. Later when the rapport is established then use emails, but give them a call first to tell them your sending one. I find this works out reasonably well for me.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi RAC28H

When I was starting out I would email agents from the links on realestate.com and found the same response. I was approaching them this way because I was afraid to call them in person.

But now I ring and prefer the mobile number because I want my answer NOW! Not after the message has been vetted by an assistant and then finally handed to a sales rep maybe a couple of days later.

Get in there, call them up … I quickly learnt they are just people like me wanting to make a deal. And always be honest with them … don’t talk s**t.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of AnastasiaAnastasia
    Participant
    @anastasia

Hi,

I understand that they are busy people, but so are we as well, and if they don’t intend to take the time to read/answer email queries, they should at least take the email boxes off their property web sites. What do they expect people are going to do if they advertise statements like “email the agent” ?!!

Anastasia

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

i was talking to an agent in horsham Vic a number of weeks ago and he made the comment that they get so many emails it is impossible to keep up. his small office would need to employ a full time worker just to reply to emails. he isn’t willing to do this as very few email enquiries translate to sales. i suspect he feels that if people are interested they will make serious contact with the agent. i remember last year i would send off so many emails i forgot who was who.
    westan

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

Yet again, ive learnt another important lesson. ring the mobile number! wish i’d know about this web site, 12 months ago, would have save me a world of greaf (is that how you spell it?)

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

it’s “grief”… you asked…

r [:)]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I saw a property on realestate.com.au in Blacktown adnd the price was $ 310,000 – $ 370,000.

When i phoned and asked what the price meant I was told that they have many house between these wto prices.

When I said ‘But that price refers to a specific property’ (a photo was attached) the answer was ‘The owner is looking for offers between these two prices.

Bulldust of course. They are just looking to attract people who are looking to buy.

In my opinion a misleading way to advertise.

(and here I was thinking well ‘here is obviously a motivated vendor’ [:D] )

Pisces133

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi PeterM,

A very similar story except the lower price is for a quick settlement and higher deposit, whilst the higher price is for standard settlement time. Maybe that could be a good topic? “What is standard settlement time, 30, 60, or 90 Days?”

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day All…

The price range..$340-$370 is a shonky practise by agents that increases their chance of listing the Vendors property.

They avoid the one price the Vendor doesn’t want to hear. For example if the Agent thought $325k, and he tells the Vendor he runs the risk on losing the biz to a competitor. Eventually the range is reduced as the Vendor is conditioned by the agent and the market price. This IS the real reason for a price range despite what an agent may tell you.

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of Kimmy1Kimmy1
    @kimmy1

We’ve found a similar situation with agents too busy to bother with genuine buyers…while the market was hot. We listed our specifics with an agency months ago and yet were getting no calls from them although we’d seen that suitable properties were being listed with them. Knowing the principal agent by introduction and reputation we decided to avoid them where possible. Ironically, now the market is cooling, buyers are being chased – we were contacted yesterday by this agency to whom we commented on the above issue. We got a rather rude response along the lines of “Well, I’m calling now aren’t I?” And REA wonder why they’re not a popular species!!! ( I shouldn’t say that, my brother-in-law is a REA – one of the goodies though!)

Profile photo of AnastasiaAnastasia
    Participant
    @anastasia

I have to agree with Kimmy1 that lately, the agents do seem more inclined to chase buyers than in recent months. In the last three weeks, I’ve had 3 agents call me up after I’ve inspected one of their properties – each one wanted to take down exactly what I was after to buy plus my email address and promised to email when something suitable came up. Time will tell if they actually follow through, but it does seem to indicate that they are realising their dream run is ending and that it’s time to start putting in the hard yards……
    Anastasia

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

I think calling is much easier. That way, you get the info (as Leigh said) then and there and it makes less paperwork/email sorting afterwards.
    It also depends where you are looking. Hot spots require quick action and not many RE’s are sitting by their desk waiting for emails to pop up on their screen, to get their business.
    I’ve known many people to lose prospective deals by emailing and waiting for replies.
    RE’s are also using their web pictures of houses, even after they’ve sold, to get more interest and to get leads for other houses they have on the market (as they come up) calling cuts through this. Get Savvy and call them up, because if you can’t afford the phone call then maybe you shouldn’t be investing.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of u9026au9026a
    @u9026a

It makes you laugh doesn’t it? Real estate agents are apparently so busy but most of them leave out the most commonly sought piece of information from ads – the price! Adding that info would cull most general enquiries straight away leaving them to concentrate on serious buyers only. Others say rather stupid things like “Expressions of Interest”. What nonsense.

I think the truth is that most of them are rather uneducated when it comes to their chosen profession and so choose to tell buyers as little as possible, thereby leaving it up to the vendor and buyer to sort out. The common misconception that agents are so busy is a complete furphy, the truth is if they are too busy it’s because they create uneccessary work for themselves with their ridiculous work practices.

The Jenman system is a step in the right direction, but again falls over because of Neil’s “Amish” like attitude to the use of technology and advertising in general. A real shame, because this is the best way forward for all concerned.

Steve

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Props- just a quick reply to you :o)

I have only noticed that your use of English is excellent- very much like those people who have spent a lot of time living all over thew world- full of nuance :o) The only way I knew you weren’t from an English-speaking background is that you said so yourself in a post where you queried the use of the term “battlers”. Indeed, the term “battler” is an old aussie term which has its roots in about the 1950’s. It’s not widely used anymore, and certainly not by younger generations, so I get what you mean- I don’t relate to the term either. It’s a very “today tonight” term that appeals to anglo’s from a bygone time, really.

Thanks for your info on Austria!! I can’t wait :o))

kay henry

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Sooshie

Your back, it’s lovely to see you. Can’t wait to hear about your trip. Hope the boys are well.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>Real estate agents are apparently so busy but most of them leave out the most commonly sought piece of information from ads – the price!<<

I used to get terribly upset that many agents don’t have a clue about the details of the propery they are trying to sell. Things like zoning, size, dimensions etc.

Until ……………. I realised that the fact that the agent being unaware of the property’s attributes works to one’s advantage as at times this allows one to pick up a bargain.

O.K., so what if I need to do a bit of homework myself.

So now I am instantly happy everytime I speak to a ding dong agent who wdoesn’t have a clue. [:D]

Pisces133

Profile photo of Prop16Prop16
    @prop16

Same here, from about 30 enquiries by email I’ve only received 2 replies. Contacting the agents by phone was more productive.

Thanks Kay, I’m still struggling.
    When I arrived in Australia I knew only “thank you and I love”, just enough to survive! [:)]
    Same happened as I arrived in Germany.
    About that word….I just feel it’s so degrading.
    I might be too sensitive.

Should you wish to stay at pricewert but clean places on your trip, look for “Studentherbergers”.
    Enjoy your trip! (and don’t forget to visit the romantic lakes in Northen Italy)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.