All Topics / General Property / How are the newbies going?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

I am curious to know how all the newbies are going?

Are you taking action or apprehensive with property investing? Who has influenced you and do you have a mentor? How long did it take you to buy your first IP since getting involved? Have you learned anything the hard way or has this site saved you from doing many things wrong.

I have been busy learning and very interested for several months now and will be purchasing my first IPs in January.

I would like to hear of similar experiences. This is not just intended for newbies so feel free to add your earlier experinces too.

Nu Gen

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi nu gen,

Good thanks. Thanks for asking. Not looking at buying for some time yet though.

Forever learning here. Just met my neighbour who had a drive-by valuation done on his place only last week. Same house (in a complex of 12), same bank, and same purpose – debt consolidation. His valuation was $15K greater than mine. I’m waiting for my broker to call me back. I’ll get that LOC somehow.

Kind regards, Phil

Profile photo of tadinetadine
    @tadine

Hi I am also a ‘newbie’ I have been spending any spare time doing research and looking around at properties. As i have started a new job recently i have found out that i can’t really borrow any money until i have been at the new job for at least 6 months, which is fine coz from what i can gather it will take at least that long to find my first property. The main problem that i have found is that when i mention it to people of my intention ie. friends and relatives they are all really negative and i get comments like ‘be careful its not really a very good idea’ or ‘you can’t be serious’, but reading thru this forum and other books is keeping me enthusiastic about it and i also realise that a lot of research will also be involved. So good luck! [;)]

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

For me it’s all about the numbers. I bought my two current IPs on the basis of a few GIF images and on the basis of the various inspection reports. One place is a 2150km away, the other is 1370km away. But the $ numbers stacked up. I keep in touch with the agents and inspect no less than annually. Seems to be working so far… My current mentor? The spreadsheet.

Profile photo of T.P.T.P.
    @t.p.

Hi, I am new to this site but have been investing for 5 years in my hometown in regional S.A. I have been reading and “doing” over this time, made a few mistakes along the way, which is not a bad thing. I now look at problems and challenges as opportunities to learn and not a crisis in the making.
    To Tadine on your comment about negative comments from friends etc., I use a quick quiz when confronted with this situation, and it is to ask yourself ” is that a fact or an opinion?”. Does this person have investments?, or is he just parroting the latest headline he read in the paper.
    Regards Terry

Profile photo of tadinetadine
    @tadine

Thanks for that Terry, I just think that it is ‘fear of the unknown’ for these people and i am trying not to let them put me off, i think that they have been frightened off by recent reports of investors on today tonight programs showing stories of people who now can’t afford to keep their properties coz of recent interest rate rises, but surely if these people researched a bit before they went into this, they would have taken rate rises into account?? [?]

Profile photo of ComsolComsol
    Participant
    @comsol

Hi nu gen,

I’ve been busy studying this topic all year and joined the forum a month or two back. It’s fascinating to read and very informative. I’ve learned heaps. Also learned that the time for me to invest is not quite right, partly because I am at the stage of getting capital together and partly because of the market. I expect to do something within the next year as I think that both the market and I will be ready. Meanwhile I continue to read and learn.

Thanks to all the more experienced people on the forum also. Your comments help all us newbies tremendously. [^]

Cheers,

David

OPM – use Other People’s Money and learn from Other People’s Mistakes
    [email protected]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Dear nu gen :o)

I joined the forum on October 26, so I am a bit of a newbie too [:I] It doesn’t matter how old we are, we can be as new as an over-supplied apartment not yet off the plan! ;)

In answer to some of your Q’s:

How long did it take you to buy your first IP since getting involved? Me and my girlfriend bought a little apartment when she was on 13k and i was on 17k wages. We had a 30K deposit, and we just went in with absolutely no idea what we were doing. We sat the mortgage broker down on a milk crate in our back yard, and we never looked back :o) Of course, prices were cheaper 9 years ago, but we did ok. no sooner than we had that than we jumped in again, buying an even cheaper one. Then we divorced and split them- que sera sera.

Who has influenced you and do you have a mentor? I don’t believe in mentors- I just do my reading and I discuss things with friends or people who have similar interests. I read as much as I can- I read all newspapers I can online and every other article I can lay my hands on. Some of the stuff I read- elsewhere and on here, isn’t useful to me. I just decide what makes sense to me, and what fits in with the way I want to live my life. I don’t do heroes, gods, or guru’s. I like to think as independently as I can- it makes me feel freer that way.

Have you learned anything the hard way or has this site saved you from doing many things wrong.
    I think we all make mistakes in life. I have made many- i make them every day :o) It’s part of being an adult, i think. Wish I was still a kid though- then I could just blame my mum ;) I must say though, I learn much from this site. I like posting and communicating people, so this is a much more “2-way” process than merely reading a book.

I have just bought my 3rd IP, nu gen- even if you make some mistakes along the way (for example, 9 years ago, I had no clue about property and only started reading about it *after* I had bought the property- and sites like this didn;t exist much 9 years ago- well, they might have but i didn’t know about them!

It’s good to get advice and share information between people. But ultimately, where, why and how you invest is up to you.

I still ask my solicitor, RE agents, and bank manager all sorts of questions- probably the same ones over and over- because I find some of the processes difficult to get my head around. They don’t seem to mind- presumably they make wads of cash from us- it’s their job to be patient :)

It’s a nice question you’ve asked :-)

kay henry

Profile photo of uncivilizeduncivilized
    @uncivilized

yeah I am a newie as well. I have been reading the posts for the last month without posting, I certaintly have been learning a lot.I have pre-approved finance and looking at purchasing a property ( first puchase ever )in the near future. I have being researching one area now for the last three months, however I am still extremely nervous. I am not sure if I am doing the right thing, considering the interest rate rises. My family are totally with me in purchasing a investment property, however my partners family is totally against it. They are old fashion , buy house to live in , retire on the pension.
    Anyhow anyone have any tips on buying that first property?
    I may buy without checking the property – of course I well be doing a pest and building inspection as well fully researching the area. Any opinions on buying a property without inspecting .

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

Thanks to all who are adding input.[:D]

It seems as though we all have a similar approach to getting into the market; alot of study and reading or adding to topics. Alot of positive thinking and making educated desicions.

We all seem to have a couple of people in our ears with negative comments. Can’t wait to see them eat their words.[:P]

Make sure we all update the forums on progress with investments and any stories along the way. Eventually the new newbies can learn from us.

Nu Gen

Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

Philip and I only became serious about property early this year after reading Jan Somers. We’ve bought and sold houses over years without any real ‘investment’ knowledge or plans. Wish we knew then what we know now.

We feel we’ve bought our current properties just at the right time and right price but don’t plan to buy anymore for a while. I do wish I’d found this site earlier though as we could have done things better e.g. setting up a trust instead of buying in joint names. Might have found better interest rates as well – all our business has been with the National and all loans are fixed over 2, 3 or 5 years but we’re happy with that. Didn’t know about the 11 sec rule then but we used a similar principle – divide the weekly rent by the purchase price and if it was close to 2, we bought!

Keep posting, everyone – it’s great to hear different opinions on so many topics.

Shirley

Profile photo of Traci-leeTraci-lee
    @traci-lee

Tadine,
    Often negetive comments are the result of a lack of knowledge of those offering it. If you have researched and conducted due diligence completely then you are armed to make an INFORMED decision. I myself recieve little support from family and friends regarding my property portflio (except hubby), so what!. When we purchased our first IP you should have seen the fear on everyones faces. When we bought the second the reaction was more like “How Can They Afford That” almost like we were Real Estate Greed Mongers. I won’t be mentioning 3,4,5,6 etc, but once i reach 20 or so i might drop some numbers over a family get-together– Just for my own enjoyment [:D]
    Regards,
    Traci

Profile photo of mcollinsmcollins
    Participant
    @mcollins

I must admitt I can’t find any positive cashflow properties except real cheapies $50-$60K which are probably on flood plains.

Is it worth buying a property that breaks even as you will eventually own it outright without costing you anything !!

When people say its cashlow + do they mean after they have put in 20% deposit ???

Profile photo of davo70davo70
    @davo70

I have been reading the post on the forum for over six months and I am not sure if I have ever replied before.

I began purchasing investment properties about just over 12mths ago. My sister was being moved from one place after another and she was very unhappy so I got over my nerves bought a house she now rents. I did know at the time I had bought a positive cashflow property. Then I convinced the other half of the benefits of doing this and with my partners help we found this website.

We then took the plunge again in February 2003 and then again in March 2003 and again just two weeks ago. So we now have four investment properties and they all have enjoyed huge capital gain and all are positive cashflow. (the rent covers all costs inl rates and ins). We are looking at repeating our success here in NZ but seems a little harder to get finance in NZ.

Anyway we will get over that. We are very happy with the results the capital growth was an unexpected bonus just went for the income.

Anyway that’s our story.

Profile photo of davo70davo70
    @davo70

Wow I have got 57 posts listed. I must have my forums mixed up!

Profile photo of VaslavVaslav
    @vaslav

hi Nu Gen,

well i’m a newbie too.. currently after learning a huge curve from the purchase of a vacant land JV with dad, i am excited to get an IP too.. but i have to wait :

1. to see how the market is going
    2. to get my residency status end of next year to start buying IP, hence not needing to satisfy FIRB anymore
    3. Get that degree so that i can start working to satisfy the bank :P and earn income

So in the meantime i’m just learning more and laying out plans to retire by age 30. 22 now :P so that’s my 8 yrs plan. I’m taking in all the information so that i know what to do when i actually start sprinting in 2005.

It’s a Must, not a choice :P that’s definite.

Regards,
    Kev

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Davo,

Massive capital gain in 2 weeks? What % are we talking?

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

quote:

Any opinions on buying a property without inspecting.

I bought my first place without inspecting it (I only saw photos), and I would happily buy more without inspecting.

As long as you know all the numbers and you ask enough questions (like “Are the neighbours yards overgrown with weeds?”), and of course get a building and pest inspection. Some lovely photos of the place wouldn’t hurt either!

By the way, when I did finally get to see the place that I had bought, I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised – it was even better than in the photos :)

-Ian

Profile photo of azraelazrael
    Participant
    @azrael

Hi Guys,

Good to see that so many of you guys are doing nicely or setting up your plan to get your portfolio moving. Myself, I have not yet started but I have the capital that I need to get started with my first and maybe second +ve CF property. However I am still undecided on whether to try and wrap or buy and hold. Hopefully I’ll get this sorted and be on my way buy the end of the year.

[:)][8D][8D]

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Hi all,

I’m an older newbie and some might say not even a newbie. I have recently returned to vendor finance after getting 2 babies off to school and reading John Burley’s material. I started my career off at 18 and ended up doing 100’s of vendor finance sales for the state government, who had decided they didn’t want to own railway homes anymore and sold them on terms to the railway emplyees who rented them. Funny how life goes full cricle sometimes as all that conveyancing, title searching, surveying, valuation and selling to tenants experience is now useful again.

I’ve always remembered how we would go to a country town to knock on tenants’ doors to explain how they could buy the homes they rented, (which they could never have done any other way.)

Then a few months later we would be back in those towns and the homes we had sold on VF would be painted, have flowers growing in the garden and have new picket fences and pretty curtains up. I learnt about pride of ownership and how important the family home is to people.

Now, it’s lease options for me. See you at the top – as Earl Nightingale says “the air is cleaner, the view is better and it’s less crowded”.[:D]

SK

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.