Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of robynhoodrobynhood
    @robynhood

If a town has a large portion of properties going to Auction, does this mean a buying frenzy is happening in the area.
    Any thoughts
    Thanks Joy

Profile photo of Jake_HeinemannJake_Heinemann
    @jake_heinemann

not neccesarily a buying frenzy. maybe just a selling frenzy, which could mean prices go down so maybe buy one….

i dunno’

jake.

=======================================================
    “Your Profit is made when you buy… not when you sell” (Rich Dad)

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

Hi Jake….

Seasonal factor… and a selling frenzy, prior to worse to come for sellers after Xmas…wait till end Feb/march…an accumulation of unsold properties that failed at auctions.

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of u9026au9026a
    @u9026a

Auction is just one way to sell real estate, not the best way for the seller but definitely the best as far as the agent is concerned. As long as owners fall for the agents bull when it comes to selling then auctions will never disappear. Agents in Aus have an easy life – advertising paid for them, no need to look for buyers, kickbacks from various sources, etc etc. If you’re interested take a look at the Jenman site: http://www.jenman.com.au
    He talks bollocks most of the time but does have some good points.

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

Some markets (like Melbourne) have an “Auction Culture” and this is bread by the RE industry. I agree with u9026a that it is not always the best way to sell as it often excludes many buyers which cannot be a good thing for the price. In general agents will recommend an auction where they are not able to easily arrive at a realistic value for the property (maybe because it is too unique) and secondly when they anticipate that there will be many people wanting to compete for the property. Auctions have in the past caused some people to spend more than they should have or wanted to but this tends to change when there are more properties to choose from.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

The rules for conducting auctions have changed considerably over the last few months. I think this was discussed by Steve McKnight in his last newsletter.
    What this means is the techniques for buying at auction that worked well in the past may no longer be appropriate.
    I discuss how to make the most of auctions in our monthly newsletter this month. I know that many readers of this forum subscribe. If you missed this month’s issue or wnat to subscribe click here
    http://www.metropole.com.au/html/Subscribe.htm

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties
    http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Michael

Great article on Auctions in your newsletter.

Would recommend that everyone subsribe to your newsletter.

Regards

Participant
    @michaelyardney

quote:

Hi Michael

Great article on Auctions in your newsletter.

Would recommend that everyone subsribe to your newsletter.

Regards

Thanks Muppett for the great wrap. A lot of effort goes into it and we get a few hundred new subscribers a month which is great but the more the merrier

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

In Melbourne it looks like the wealthier and pricier the suburb and property, the more likely you see auctions. Toorak, almost all, Dandenong, almost none, (No insult to Dandenongians intended).

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Yesterday I described to your newsletter too, Michael, and I think it’s wonderful information. [^] Thanks.[:)]

Participant
    @michaelyardney

quote:

In Melbourne it looks like the wealthier and pricier the suburb and property, the more likely you see auctions. Toorak, almost all, Dandenong, almost none, (No insult to Dandenongians intended).

You are right. Auctions work better for unique properties and those that may be hard to put a definate sale price on.

If there are 3 other similar properties in the street that are for sale the price is pretty well known and an auction does not work well.

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

This would mean that we should distrust stats derived from auctions (eg average prices and clearance rates) as they may give a misleading impression being skewed towards the more expensive properties?

This is apart from the issue of properties passed in at ‘vendor bid’ prices.

I would suspect that auction results would be even less representative in cities like Perth where they are much less common.

Peter

Participant
    @michaelyardney

quote:

This would mean that we should distrust stats derived from auctions (eg average prices and clearance rates) as they may give a misleading impression being skewed towards the more expensive properties?

This is apart from the issue of properties passed in at ‘vendor bid’ prices.

I would suspect that auction results would be even less representative in cities like Perth where they are much less common.

Peter

There is little benefit in using results of auctions as an indication of movements in value. Auctions only represent a small proprtion of properties sold. Most statisticians use median sale prices derived form all types of sale

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.