All Topics / General Property / Australia’s cheapest property?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

I was surfing the net when I came across this property:-

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&ag=WED&s=vic&c=67833232&tm=1069137897&id=101155825&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&cu=WED&fmt=&header=

I nearly fell off my chair, thinking that surely this was a misprint. However a query to Google brought the info that the reason for the town of Beulahs’ existance has long since gone, and the town is dying (although locals might say it’s just downsizing!) – therefore most definitely not a good investment proposition for me. But for a moment I thought I’d found the cheapest property in Australia.

Can anyone beat that price?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Swampy

Is your surname Marsh by any chance?

I’ve seen cheaper properties than that in NSW, but I must admit I can’t remember where, and I haven’t looked in a while.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

i found one for 40k in harden renting for 90 a week. went to harden for a look it was a tin shed with a tap and a table used as a kitchen bench.
    was pretty rough. the add originally said “some minor work required” needed bulldozing more like it!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I’ve seen some in Broken Hill for 20k that apparently rent for 80pw
    cheers
    r

Profile photo of Prop16Prop16
    @prop16

Not bad for a weekend house!
    Put a few outdoor walllights to give it a romantic atmosphere…..
    Where’s Beulah and Broken Hill?
    No more seats available for both towns I suppose…..

Profile photo of mmerlinmmerlin
    Participant
    @mmerlin

quote:

I was surfing the net when I came across this property:-

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&ag=WED&s=vic&c=67833232&tm=1069137897&id=101155825&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=&cu=WED&fmt=&header=

Yes thats a cheap price alright! Pocket money for some peaople [:D]

Those photos look like someone has played with the gamma values in photoshop.

The purple-blue garage door and and front posts of the house are almost glowing fluorescently!

MM

http://www.rese.com
    (The Australian) Real Estate Search Engine

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Swampy – that sort of price is pretty common for wheatbelt towns in WA.

But if you want the cheapest houses, you can’t
    go past Norseman, WA where I’ve seen places for $15-20k. You might get 20% yield, but I wouldn’t invest there.

Peter

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

Two bedders, quite liveable, rentable $80 a week in Junee, 30 mins from largest inland city in NSW pop 5000 good infrastructure, on railway line available below 30k. …. in 2002!

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day xyzzy…

Thought you were going to say Jugiong for a minute

Pleased you found the “Old Place”. Know any good restorers or careful brikkies?

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

Found one in a real estate agents window last month. A couple of hours out of Perth. $20K. Rented to the CWA (Country womens assoc) Looked structurally sound. Was double brick etc.
    Fibejebe.

@shaunwalker

Junee might have been a good town, but prices have gone up there as well. My parents live there so i know what im talking about. over the last 6 – 8 months prices have gone up around 10 – 15 percent. those two bedders you were talking about got sold to two young guys several months ago who renovated etc.
    the problem with junee is, because of the jail there now, alot of the convicts wives and families now live in junee so they can be close to their husbands. I dont even go to the pub there any more with my brother (whos the local butcher).
    But in saying all that i would have bought in junee if the price had been right, 3 beddy houses rent for around 150 p/w, but now prices for houses are around 150,000 – 200,000 not really worth it. as for the railway line.
    several years ago they closed down the round house, this was the hub for all trains in NSW it now gets done in goulbourn.
    towns still ok, not alot of work (unless you work in wagga) a better town to look at is coolamon.
    this town is only 1/2 an hour from wagga and is a much nicer town

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Recently i mentioned a property i had under contract anyway it was a 3 bedroom house similar to the one you found at $43,000 the weekly rental was $120 a week. Due to my pest report, the contract was terminated, though the property was in a increasing population area with growth. 5 blocks away from the town central and was a perfect investment, but it failed my pest report.

Though about 200 km away from this town, the real estate agent i had been talkin too and dealing with told me about a brand new brick home, small one though that went for $13,000 with a weekly rental of $100 a week. Though this house may sound like the perfect investment it was in an area were the population was less than 300 and declining and there was not much work available either.

But i do know you can purchase property in Queenstown (Tasmania) for that price and lots more less, though it has the same problems as the story above mentioned.

Cheers
    S.I.S

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

We purchased a property in Surat in Qld in June of this year for $32,000 and had it revalued by NAB last week for $46,000.

Looking to wrap it now for $66,000.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

a few years ago, I remember reading that someone purchased a property for about $4000 and got the $7000 FHOG!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @xyzzy

shaunwalker

The railway roundhouse reopened in 1995 and is now run as a privatley operated railway repair business that currently has as large a payroll in town as any other commercial business. They propose to expand the business to double the size, needing to employ another 10 or so people there.

There are even private individuals building houses on spec to sell these days!

The attraction of the licorice factory is unique in the area and attracts in the order of 1200 people a week to town.

It is a town that will have significiant growth as a result of tourisim and commercial expansion.

There are four houses available for rent as of noon today!

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    Quick question for 007, when buying a property to do a wrap does it concern you if projected population growth is -ve or is this not of such a concern because you are on selling the property.
    Erika

@shaunwalker

didnt know about the round house, nor the licourice factory. just rang the old man in junee. the only problem i can see with properties there, is there is only one real estate agent in the whole town and apparently he’s doesnt discriminate who rents the place as long as he gets his commission. but in saying that i have met and spoken to him (his kids attend childcare at my sister place) and he seems a genuine person. so i will have to keep a closer eye on junee.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Shaun :o)

The RE guy isn’t allowed to discriminate anyway, is he? I mean, if there’s a jail there and families of people in the jail, then they need accommodatio too, right? I guess if a RE agent is a local, then they don;t want to be seen discriminating against people- wouldn’t make them a very welcome member of the community.

kay henry

Participant
    @xyzzy

Shaun,

The only real estate agent that has an office in Junee is very selective as to the style of tennant that they install in my experience.

There are people in town that appear unable to get their application for rental accepted!

Today I counted real estate for signs form (1) Raine & Horne Wagga (2) Jennings Real estate Wagga
    (3) Wagga Real estate Colamon and tghe local on houses!

The one agent certainly does not have a monopoly!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.