All Topics / General Property / High Court Decision on Split Loans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

On Nov 7 the ATO appealed a decision by the federal court deciding that split loans were legal. The High Court has decided that these split loans do not breach the anti tax avoidance provisions of the Tax Act. ie the ATO lost!

See http://www.propertyinsider.com.au/echo/external/WebTemplate.cfm?clientid=30&fullstory=950&periodid=137

BTW Split loans allow people to capitalise the interest on investment loans while diverting all payments to the owner occupied loan. This increases tax decutions while decreasing the non deductible debt.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

well done terryw
    thanks for the update
    westan

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

That’s good news, I had been waiting to hear what was happening – bank appointment next week to sort it all out!!

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Terry…

I only remembered this morning, that the descision was not yesterday but Frday last week. I was going to give you the weekend off and contact you Monday… Thanks for keeping us up to date… good news.

Thanks mate

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Thanks Terry

I’m wondering why that didn’t make the news? Although I suppose we still have a war to cover, and the Rugby.

Any bets on how long it will take for legislation to be introduced outlawing this practice?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Ok, I’ve now read the article and I’m confused.

It says ‘split-loan case finally resolved’, but it goes on to say that the High Court has granted the ATO an appeal against the Federal Court decision.

So to me, that means another court battle in the High Court over the same issue.

Am I wrong?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You are right Mel, it is not over yet as they will be appealing at the High Court.

I wouldn’t rush into setting anything like this up as yet.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.