All Topics / Opinionated! / Multiple Streams of Stupidity

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of Jay74Jay74
    @jay74

Hi Guys,

I recently made the mistake of trying to save some money and going halves with a friend in the purchase of a CD pack called “Multiple Streams of Income” by Robert G. Allen.

The mistake was not in the product (that seems fine), but in going halves with this particular person.

The agreement was that my friend would recieve the CD’s and make a copy of them for me. Well, being a tight a–e my friend decided to convert all the CD’s to Mp3 so that he could fit all the CD’s on to 1 CDR.

When i finally recieved my copy i also found that he’d mixed up the order of all the tracks so that now i have no idea what order the tracks are supposed to be in.

When i asked him to redo it for me he said he couldn’t because he made the same copy for himself and then sold the original set on ebay for $20. He thought i’d be happy when he offered my my share of the proceeds.

Anyway, if anyone out there has purchased this set and would be kind enough to scan and email me the track list it would be greatly appreciated. my email address is :
    [email protected]

Cheers
    Jay

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

Have you ever heard of the word copyright?

Profile photo of Prop16Prop16
    @prop16

Hahaha…..good question xyzzy!

Profile photo of Jay74Jay74
    @jay74

G,day xyzzy,

I’m assuming from your response that you have never (not even once), used your CD burner or perhaps made a copy of a music tape or video.[:O]

It is not breaking any copyright laws to make a copy of something that you own! That is why CD burners, tape recorders, video recorders exist.

Cheers,
    Jay

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

As a person who has made a lot of money out of designing things in the past I am very very protective of intellectual property.

To make a backup copy is not an issue. It’s what you did with the copy that upsets me.

You admit that it was your intention that you “went halves” in the purchase “trying to save some money” and then sold the original on ebay. Instead of recieving the royality on three copies the author only recieved one! You even concede that your friend is “a tight a–e”

And no I do not have a CD burner. For all my personal music and software I have the originial disks!

It is my life’s experience however that you never get anywhere by chizzeling someone else!

@jay74

Xyzzy,

Please re-read my original post.

My first admission is the fact that i made a mistake in trying to save money by going halves in the program.

I also said that it was my friend who sold the CD’s on ebay (not me). I was in fact very annoyed about this, as i had intended on keeping the original.

The reason that i decided to go halves in the Cd’s in the first place was too save a little money not rip anyone off. In the time since reading Steve’s book (my first on the subject), i have bought 7 other books (Kiyosaki, De Roos, Lomas) as well as Robert Kiyosaki’s “You can choose to be rich” 12 CD set for over $500.

The budget was being stretched a little thin so i decided to split the cost of the CD’s. As a result of us pooling our money together, the author sold an extra copy that he may not have otherwise sold.

Cheers
    Jay

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Jay, I’m afraid I have to agree with xyzzy on this one.

By only buying one copy with the intention of making a copy is in my book ripping someone off. Your first post said that you were going to get the copy from your friend – suggesting he was keeping the originals, and you were buying a pirate copy.

You say the author sold AN extra copy that he wouldn’t have otherwise. That copy now belongs to the buyer on ebay who got a discount. You guys subsidised his purchase. Well done.

I think it’s safe to say that you ‘got what you paid for’. If I were you I’d ask for all of your money back from your friend, and write it off as an error in judgement.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

hey guys this is sorta off the topic, but what should i do to with my 30 gigs of cinema movies, software and music…… can i still keep em?

Oh by the way thanks for Kazaa for all those necessary downloads.

@jay74

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your input, i agree that it was absolutely an error in judgement. This i admitted in the opening sentence as well as the title of the post.

It was never my intention however to rip anybody off. I had intended to keep the origanal as i am a collector of books, CD’s and DVD’s. My friend however sold it before i even layed eyes on it. There was never any agreement about who would hold the original and i felt that i would have access to it at anytime.

And although i intend to write it off as a lesson learnt, i wont be asking for my money back. Hopefully the loss will prevent me from making the same mistake again.

Thanks
    Jay

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

As someone who puts out educational resources and as someone who knows Robert Allen, I have to say that you got what you deserved.

My advice – two wrongs don’t make a right!

Trash you illegally gained spoils and do the right thing… go and buy another one at full price.

You have to think abundance in order to gain abundance.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@jay74

Hi Steve and others,

While i respect your opinions, i would ask that you think about this a little more broadly.

Can any of you honestly say that you have never:

: borrowed a book from a library

: borrowed a book from a friend

: lent a book to a friend or

: bought a book second hand

I seriously doubt that many people could. Yet these all deprive the author of 100% of his/her royalty and people do it every day.

Many of the above practices have even been recommended in many posts on this forum to those on a tight budget.

Cheers
    Jay

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

Let it go, Jay.

And, no, I don’t have the track listing. (That was your original point, wasn’t it?)

Profile photo of kkowalskkkowalsk
    @kkowalsk

quote:

It is not breaking any copyright laws to make a copy of something that you own! That is why CD burners, tape recorders, video recorders exist.

WRONG! It is copyright violation to make an unauthorised reproduction of *any* copyrighted material.

Like it or not, even copying a CD you own to tape to listen on a walkman is copyright infringement. MP3s fall into the same boat.

You and friend went halves, that only entitled you to half of the CDs each. Upon selling the CDs, you should also have discarded your (illegal) copies.

And no, I’m not for copyrights as they stand in Australia, they need a serious rethink.

Profile photo of FibejebeFibejebe
    @fibejebe

One of the reasons CDs are so expensive is because they factor into the price the fact that some tight ass will try to illegally copy them as your mate did. Actions like his bump the price up for everyone. Joint ownership between you and your mate is not illegal. Copying it is. And you made the purchase with the intention of copying it. The CD in your possession is illegal and as such you could be charged with a copyright infringement. Don’t take my word for it. Ask any lawyer or even a police officer.

Jay. I think you just got a visit from the karma fairy. Write it off to experience.

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Jay,

Did you get a copy in the end?
    Did you pass “Go” and collect $200 [:0)]

Cheeky Sooshie [:P]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of Mick INCMick INC
    @mick-inc

WOW!

Poor old JayJay. Don’t worry mate I wont pick on you. All we can hope is that all these MORALS getting tossed around in here might just rub off on you and me.

Don’t get me wrong guys, I’m not taking sides here, I’m quite happy sitting on the fence[:)]

One thing to consider though is that not everyone can afford $600 bucks or so to buy an educational CD pack.

At least Jayjay used some intitive went halves with a mate and bought the CD’s. Without going shares with his mate he probably would not have bought it at all.

No one here is perfect, everyone breaks the law at some stage. I believe speeding or drinking driving is far worse than copying a CD pack.

“Let he who is without sin strike the first blow”

So leave him alone you big bullies!!

PS. Oops, I think fell off my fence!
    PPS. Steve please don’t be mad at me [B)]

Mick INC

Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

Yes i see your point xyzzy he did not copy it right.
    (just joking)
    Can you imagine if no one copied anything in the history of mankind for example positive gearing. Unfortunatly just about anything can be copied no matter what it is legal or illegal its just a part of life, the trick is to find a way so it cant be copied then you will be rich. Copyright what copyright.
    Dom[;)]

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Greetings all

Correct me if im wrong but the law as it stands I believe is. You are allowed to make a back up copy? So if one goes halves with some one and one keeps the back up copy and the other the original is that really illegal?

This is in noway condoning it, just asking a question of the law as I understand it.

Regards Bear

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.