All Topics / General Property / Painting problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Hi All,

I know this isnt an investing query but i have a painting problem and wondered if any tradesmen out there could give me a tip.
    I am slowly renovating my home, I look at each room as a seperate learning experience and I dont start the next until things are perfect – not fussy but I bought this property on the golf course at such a good price and need to renovate it to attract the higher end of the market. The problem is the walls were painted in cream with a mission brown stipple effect, yes..it looked as bad as it sounds, and had brilliant blue feature walls (I am so over those now). I have sanded and painted, got good coverage, am happy with everything except the corners where the walls meet remain dark! About an inch wide each side of the corner going down the wall. I have tried painting the corners white, have tried loading the brush thicker there. Paint the corners first…I dont get it. I have discovered that there is brown paper tape running down the corners and will have to do my bathroom again as it has lifted – but the walls there were only covered in ceiling paint to cover the gopping colour it was quickly (couldnt live with it). But the tape in the other rooms only shows up once it is wet. I dont get it.

Would love to have a tip about my dark corners please…

Sunshine[:)]

Profile photo of babsbabs
    Participant
    @babs

Hey sunshine,
    Sorry I can’t help but I know who can, go to the Bunnings or Mitre 10 website, Dulux or Taubmans sites, they have people who can help you get over that small hurdle, its great to hear your giving it a shot.
    Good luck!
    B

Profile photo of DerynakaDerynaka
    @derynaka

It sounds like the brown paper tape in the corners maybe bleeding through the acrylic top coats you are putting on the walls. When you apply the acrylic paint, the water in the paint will draw out the staining. The same thing occurs when you paint over smoke damage, niko pen or timber that contains a high tannin content like hardwoods with acrylic paints. The best way to stop the staining in your case is to apply a stain sealer to the corners before you apply the finish coats. Stain sealer is available in spray cans which may be easier for you to apply. Ask your local paint supplier for stain sealer.

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Thankyou thankyou Derynaka,

That sounds as if it could be the problem. i didnt realise the tape was even there until it bubbles up in the bathroom after painting. It makes sense what you are saying.

I did have ask at bunnings and at bristol but mostly they are quite young guys who don’t have a depth of experience at the small problems. They said for the brown stippling I wouldnt need an undercoat and two coats of dulux would be enough, so i didnt use it and had to put on 4 coats, and still get the brown corners.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Sunshine[:D]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Sunshine,

Dark Corners

Each cloud a silver lining
    It be propogated Sunshine
    Droopy corners find their place
    Within fake smiles to pine

As a Labrador is placid
    His outward smile asks of yore
    Check the corners of his mouth
    His story tells much more

Memory’s corners dark within
    We each have rooms of solitude
    Scrape the tape, open windows
    Invite the homely mood

Dunno, just scrape ’em back and start again by the sounds of it.

Kind regards, Phil

Profile photo of sunshinesunshine
    @sunshine

Wow lucky phil,

That was a most fascinating reply!

[;)]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.