All Topics / General Property / are +geared properties tax deductible

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of stevefazakstevefazak
    @stevefazak

Hi All

are the following tax deductible at the end of the financial year.

Management costs
    Shire Rates and Water Rates
    Strata Body Corp. fees
    Insurance
    Repairs Maintenance

I am trying to work out my cash on cash return, and when I add these I come up with a negative cash flow property which should really be postive

Profile photo of ChrisHallChrisHall
    Participant
    @chrishall

You should always check such things with an accountant … but here’s my two bits worth (:

All operating expenses are tax deductable on any business adventure – investment property is a business adventure. To have a truely positively geared property you can not (my opinion) off set rental income against a job or other income you have; it must, by it self, produce more money than it consumes. That is the meaning of positive gearing.

You can make a negative geared property look like a profit when off-set against wages etc. This is very common, but is contray to the financial freedom message of positive gearing. Hope that helps (:

Chris

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Hi Steve,

Our accountant claims for all of the above. We have a wide enough margin on most properties that they are still cfp after taking such costs into account.

Anna

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Steve,

All the expenses you mentioned are tax deduxtable yearly….

Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

I have a negative geared but pos cashflow property. I put in a 221D with the help of an accountant to the tax man to get my tax back now not yearly.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

As a guide, any expense incurred in making a profit would be tax deductible. So virtually any legetimate expense related to keeping your property in good working order would be claimable. Don’t forget travel expenses- to property for inpsections, meetings, accountants, loans etc. This can really add up.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.