All Topics / General Property / POSITIVIE GEARING – HELP ME?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of EminentEminent
    @eminent

I would like to know how other people are finding properties that are positively geared? I am having great difficulty finding properties to be positively geared. The ideas in the book “0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years” are great but the reality out there is how many people are finding properties that are making money. Could some other investors share their ideas as to where and how they are gettiing their properties to be positively geared.

Regards Jules

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hang in there Jules,

With Interest rates on the rise we could see a selling frenzy and property prices may decline by 10-20%, with rents steadily but slowly increasing, i’m sure soon there will be alot more chance of finding cf+ properties,

Fudge111[8D][:P]

Profile photo of alexanderalexander
    Participant
    @alexander

Hi all[:)]

Thanks for the encouraging message Jules. We now have two ip’s that are “not quite” positively geared but I have learnt heaps along the way. They are both in a good area for growth so here’s hoping it happens faster than my somewhat gloomy number predictions tell me. Armed with this knowlege I too am finding positively geared property looking difficult. I look forward to interest rate rises to see if any bargains emerge!

Alex

Profile photo of ChrisHallChrisHall
    Participant
    @chrishall

Jules,

I’m a newcomer to this property investment stuff and am seriously researching all angles before jumping out. I rang a few real estates about positivele geared properties and they basically laughed at me and said none exist!

I had an RDO from work and searched hard on the internet and found three positively geared properties in one part of QLD! I have received the accounts on one of these properties and am seriously looking at it (looking at rental agreements, outgoings etc).

Go to Yahoo and type in ‘realestate’ and see what search engines appear – you can narrow your search to price and location very easily in a matter of seconds. The only positively geared properties though, were commercial properties – I’ve only looked for one day!! Have a go (:

Chris

Profile photo of Kings5Kings5
    @kings5

Chris
    HI try Rockhampton QLD I picked up

houses 60k 120pw rent triplex 185k 330pw rent

house 80k 150pw rent

regards Dave

Profile photo of mcollinsmcollins
    Participant
    @mcollins
    Profile photo of HermeHerme
    @herme

Here’s cool way I’ve found. Go to Realestate.com.au and do an advanced search sorting by price. Depending on the area, the one’s in the lower price range, tend to be worth looking at. Doesn’t always work, like I said depends on the area, but you can see the ones you’re after first.

Give it a try.[;)]

Profile photo of Alexander2Alexander2
    Participant
    @alexander2

I like your idea Herme… Check out the area you wish to source property in, click your lower end of the scale in pricing for rent…. check out the local rental prices. Then go and check out the sale prices for the same sized appartments or houses.
    Cheers, Alex. Mc

Profile photo of rocket2rocket2
    @rocket2

A lot of positive cash flow properties ive seen are the ugly ducklings,or have something about them keeping the price down.
    Excluding position i think you just have to have enough vision to see how you can make the property more desirable.
    Dont forget you can also improve your current returns..E.G. Ihave a 2 bed. unit i was getting $110.00 PW for. I spent $20000 on it and now my return is $160.00 PW or about a 13% return on my $20000.[8D]

Profile photo of TruskaTruska
    @truska

Hi

Have a look at Roma in Central Qld (west of Brisbane)

I just bought a house for $80k rented at $160pw ,a duplex for $120k rented for $240 pw, and 4 small flats for $110k rented for $360pw (the bargain of the month in my mind) [:D]

Rents in the area are higher than you would expect for a country town. Some time in the past the American mining companies leased all available properties for their staff & paid top dollar. This trend has continued. Rental vacancies are low. Ray White only has about 10 or so places on their books (at last visit).

When I visited, the town didn’t have a single empty shop anywhere. The population is stable and the local council is actively trying to increase tourism (more jobs). If you’re going to visit on a weekend, book your accommodation as the motels are almost always full.

I heard that over 50 houses have sold there in the past month(looking at the local agents web sites I have seen the turnover, so I’m inclined to believe it). There are still some good buys there, but I think the next month or so will see the end of them. There’s a couple of nice ones for $65k rented for $110pw which you might get for $60k if your lucky. I would have put in an offer but I ran out of equity mate.

I’m going out there on the weekend of the 6th December, so if anyone wants me to look over anything I’ll give it a go.

T[:)]

Profile photo of Pikachu052Pikachu052
    @pikachu052

Hi [:)]
    I might very well take you up on that offer.

Ther is one that I am looking into and can’t get up there til the new year.

I will finish doing my research and let you know.

If you want you can get me at [email protected] and we can have a chat.

Thanks for your fabo offer.

Leane[8D]

Profile photo of TwilightTwilight
    @twilight

quote:

Hi
    I’m going out there on the weekend of the 6th December, so if anyone wants me to look over anything I’ll give it a go.

Truska,
    Thanks for your info & offer, can you have a look out for me for houses or uniits. Please e-mail me about what properties that they have there. My e-mail address is [email protected]
    Thanks a million,
    David

T[:)]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

http://www.richmastery.com.au/AU/

these guys have property deals. i think you have to join up to view them, and – as discussed elsewhere the consensus is divided as to whether they are good or not – but use it for your own research. look at the kinds of properties they are finding, where they are, the price-range, the cashflow.
    that should point you to in the right direction and give you a benchmark to find good deals of your own that are as good or better as theirs – and without the finder’s fee.

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi there.

I have looked all over the net, and rang many agents. But ended up finding heaps of +ve properties by packing the car up and going out there looking for them. It cost me alot of money about $5,000 actually, but enjoyed every minute of it and found far more then I can purchase. I am willing to share some of them to recoup some of my investment in searching for a small spotters fee.

I recommend doing what I did, and turn it into to a holiday it worked well for me and loved it.

Warmest Regards Bear

Profile photo of jcarlos65jcarlos65
    @jcarlos65

Could i please receive some feedback on what investors think about having investment properties in other states. I always liked the idea of having an investment property at close proximity to my house of residence. The idea of having a far away property always filled me with concern about, whether the agent cares and the condition of the property.
    Could you place your trust in a Real Estate Agent thats miles away?
    Would you have to visit the property regularly as reassurance?

Thank You all for the input

John

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

i always tell the agent, im coming up there in the next month, but usually i make friends and contacts with people in the area that i purchase, who are happy to tell me how things are looking.

cheers
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

quote:

Could i please receive some feedback on what investors think about having investment properties in other states. I always liked the idea of having an investment property at close proximity to my house of residence. The idea of having a far away property always filled me with concern about, whether the agent cares and the condition of the property.
    Could you place your trust in a Real Estate Agent thats miles away?
    Would you have to visit the property regularly as reassurance?

Thank You all for the input

John

If you have a good agent it works fine – I have visited our QLD place a few times but basically leave it to the agent. It was brand new when we bought it though which means it shouldn’t need much upkeep. We had a dishonest agent (tenant was great!) to begin with but once that was sorted out and we terminated the management contract, we got this new one that is great

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.