All Topics / General Property / net/gross yield

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

hi guys

May i know how do u guys calculate the yield?

I bought the Richmastery property analysis program, and no matter what I use as a deposit figure, the Yield is always the same?

Also what does a internal rate of return tell us? (IRR)

THanks.

anyone out there would like to recommend a great software thats easy to use and very good?

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day fullout…

The yields the same because it is calculated on the Purchase price of the property. So won’t matter what you do, the yield will be what it is.

To me the IRR would be my return on my own cash in the deal…cash on cash return I think Steve calls it… the best indicator… after the true yield that you keep getting.

Hope that helps

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Some people use their loan to calculate yield.

This is cheating in my eyes[:D]

The worth of the deal shouldn’t change according to how much cash goes in!

In this case any deal can become cash flow positive if enough deposit goes in!!

Yield is simply weekly rent times 52 divided by purchase price times 100.

ie rent x 52 / price x 100

or 220 x 52 / 180 000 x 100 = 6.355% yield.

Hope this helps.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kelvinhkelvinh
    @kelvinh

fullout

Drop me a line and I’ll send you a very simple cash on cash calculator which I made…
    based on calculations outlined from Steves book.

Regards

Kelvin
    [email protected]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi simon

to a certain degree you are right but the Yeild is a terrible indicator of a good deal. the yeild does not take into consideration such things as rates / body corporates etc. so sometimes a 7% yeild can be a better deal than a 10% yeild. the best way to see if the deal is good is to look at every single expense and do the sums properly, yeilds are only a quick guide in my opinion.
    westan[:)]

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Westan…

I always calculate net yield…. thanks, as I shouldn’t assume everyone else does too.

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

Kelvin, I’m interested in this COC calculator too! [;)]
    I tend to agree with Westan, it’s not a good indicator if you don’t take into consideration all the rates etc.
    Doesn’t anyone pay interest if they borrow to fund their deposits? So despite cash in deal, that is also an additional expense (although tax deductable)which you’d need to take into consideration…

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Westan,

I never suggested that yield was an absolute indication of a good deal or even a useful way to compare deals. I personally use it as a quick check on whether I look further.

I just suggested a way to keep it all a bit more straightforward esp without introducing another variable such as deposit size.

I personally run the numbers though a spreadsheet which takes nearly all income and outgoings into account to give a result – a bit cumbersome to cayy in my pocket though!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Doesn’t anyone pay interest if they borrow to fund their deposits?

Sooshie, My only point was referring to cashed up investors who put in a 20%, 30% or 50% deposit etc. If they calc yield based on loan size then they have three different returns for what is essentially the same deal!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

@westan

yes sooshi
    you have to include all your costs as expenses. but this shows where the cash on cash indicator can be a poor indicator. because if you get to the point where you only have $100 of your own cash in on a deal you can end up with a property showing 1000% return on cash which is just stupid.
    westan

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Agreed Westan.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

@westan

sorry Simon i was writing while you were posting so i didn’t see your previous post.

i agree with your point that you can put heaps of your own cash in to make a neg. geared property turn cash positive (good point)[:)]

i was writing those comments about Yeild to help others who aren’t as familiar as you are[:)]
    bye westan

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi ALL,

In any form of investing the numbers are always important. Especially the ins and outs.
    Numbers are not my forte. Sometimes it appears that people are getting hooked up on always looking for the best yield, the best COCR, and the best tax deductions. There’s always someone who can suggest a better way to do something. How about using the good deal bad deal factor and relaxing a bit. It may not get you to your ultimate goal as quick but you will still get there.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hi Fullout,

If you want a full indicator of cash flows you might like to take a look at my spreadsheet, you can download it from

http://www.rentmaster.co.nz/propertyinvesting/propretuen.xls

thanks

fudge111

@westan

hi all

C2
    you said
    “How about using the good deal bad deal factor and relaxing a bit. It may not get you to your ultimate goal as quick but you will still get there.”

not sure what you mean here are you saying that we should settle for Bad deals as they will still help us to “financial freedom”?
    westan

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Westan,

What I meant is that if the deal adds up good then go for it and if it’s bad then forget it. You don’t always have to search for the absolute best deal to get to finacial freedom.

C2
    “Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

@westan

thanks C2
    i agree totally.
    i would like to add that while i got for high returning properties this is just one factor in the whole decision to buy.
    westan

Profile photo of ESCCustomerServiceESCCustomerService
    @esccustomerservice

quote:

hi guys

May i know how do u guys calculate the yield?

I bought the Richmastery property analysis program, and no matter what I use as a deposit figure, the Yield is always the same?

Also what does a internal rate of return tell us? (IRR)

THanks.

anyone out there would like to recommend a great software thats easy to use and very good?

Hi,
    If you need some help with the Richmastery software please phone 1800-427-424.

Best regards,

ESC Customer Service
    http://www.richmastery.com

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

The IRR measures the rate of the return for the cash flows that are in place.

I think Excel has an automated IRR function that may help. Just follow the wizard.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.