All Topics / General Property / interest rate rise

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

What happens if interest rates keep rising, won’t
    possitive cash flow returns become negative.[?][?]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Absolutely possible.

If interest rates continue to rise and your interest repayments go up, they will eat into your positive cash flow. Eat enough of it and it won’t be positive anymore. Your ‘profit in the hand’ will become an ‘out of pocket expense'[:)]

I am planning for the future. Build in a buffer. Decide where you think interest rates may end up – eg 8%, 10% whatever, and do your prepurchase sums using the higher figures you predict for the future. This will tell you where you may be at if rates do indeed go higher and higher.[:)]

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

If you follow the 11 second solution then interest rates can go up to 10.4% before it becomes – cashflow. That’s a pretty good buffer considering by that time most other people would have suffered – cashflow by that time

Nu Gen

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

i agree with both Castle Dreamer and Nu Gen, but if you can see the interest rates risin and not going above a set buffer you decide you should be fine.

But for me personally, i cant wait for the interest rates to rise, its gonna make people who went out and bought a house and are just making repayments but if interest rates rise, that means theres gonna be some hot property on the market then.

Which would make a perfect time to buy some real HOT property!

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

nu gen,

your properties will probably be -ve cashflow before interest rates reach 10.4%. You’ve only allowed for the interest expense, what about rates, vacancies, management fees, insurance, repairs etc.

Rod.

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi All
    In fact some properties are already cashflow -ve if you use the 11 sec rule.The first house Steve bought and uses as an example in his book would be cashflow neg if you use the 11 sec rule.So people need to be factoring in higher interest rates now to make sure their properties stay +ve.
    Erika

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

nu gen,

your properties will probably be -ve cashflow before interest rates reach 10.4%. You’ve only allowed for the interest expense, what about rates, vacancies, management fees, insurance, repairs etc.

Rod.

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

RodC

You are right. i forgot to ad that into the equation.
    Basically the point I am trying to make is the more + the cashflow is the better position you will be in.

Nu Gen

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you fix your rates then it isn’t too much of an issue. I fixed mine at 5.89% for three years for settlement next week. I found it does give an element of peace of mind.

Looks like fixed rates are going up accross the board on Mon by 0.25%.

Fortunate for those borrowers who have their application in and rate locked!

Cheers

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of alexanderalexander
    Participant
    @alexander

hi[8)]

Sure, pick your landlords insurance policy well but….. we got caught by not checking up on the property manager. Our first ip in case you hadn’t guessed! The property came with tenants, the property managers weren’t very diligent and didn’t ” get around” to doing a new lease between us and the tenants for the first month whereupon the tenants left in the night owing a months rent. Ah, that’s what landlord’s insurance is for right? Not if you don’t have a signed lease with your tenant, it becomes null and void. So look over your property managers shoulder and make sure all the necessary paperwork is done. Have fun.
    Alex

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

I’m with still in school!

Let the int rates rise, then we’ll see some NICE properties on the market,

Fudge111[;)][8D]

Ps Sorry if I have offended any people who will have to sell due to int rate rises

Profile photo of christine2christine2
    Participant
    @christine2

quote:

i agree with both Castle Dreamer and Nu Gen, but if you can see the interest rates risin and not going above a set buffer you decide you should be fine.

But for me personally, i cant wait for the interest rates to rise, its gonna make people who went out and bought a house and are just making repayments but if interest rates rise, that means theres gonna be some hot property on the market then.

Which would make a perfect time to buy some real HOT property!

But wouldnt this mean that property prices will go down therefore ones equity wouldnt in some cases allow them to borrow to buy more properties..that is unless you already have ready cash on head

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Probably right there christine

However, in our case, we are still at uni and will start investing in about 2 years, perfect timimg i would say, so i would love int rates to go up for 3 reasons

1) Property prices will go down due to more supply than demand
    2) More HOT properties will be forced into the market.
    3) Our plan is based around paying off properties quick smart, 3 years or less, so int rates won’t affect us as much.

Fudge111[;)]

Participant
    @christine2

quote:

However, in our case, we are still at uni and will start investing in about 2 years, perfect timimg i would say, so i would love int rates to go up for 3 reasons

3) Our plan is based around paying off properties quick smart, 3 years or less, so int rates won’t affect us as much.

Fudge111[;)]

good for you..my son is in the same boat..just finished uni and is looking to buy his first property..and if i have any equity left after properties have drop i would love to help him out

Participant
    @christine2

quote:

Fudge111[;)]

good for you..my son is in the same boat..just finished uni and is looking to buy his first property..and if i have any equity left after properties have drop i would love to help him out

Profile photo of robynhoodrobynhood
    @robynhood

“If you fix your rates then it isn’t too much of an issue. I fixed mine at 5.89% for three years for settlement next week. I found it does give an element of peace of mind.”???

MortageHunter,
    I always thought rates were set at the day of settlement. The offer ususally being market less discount. Please advise if I’m mistaken.

Regards Joy

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Let the interest rates rise….. Sorry if anyone is offened by that, but if you got some cash or equity lying around and you can lockn a low fixed interest rate, you be fine and laughing. [:D][:D[:D] Grab all the HOT PROPERTIES you can!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.