All Topics / Forum Frolic / Are you a good mediator?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

I’m currently trying to help settle a dispute between two good friends.

The situation.

Mr A wants to sell his car for 2K and make about $600 profit. Mr B wants to buy a car, but doesn’t want to spend more than $1400. A decides he will sell to B and forget about trying to make a profit. B agrees to buy the car but wants A to wait a few months as B is borrowing a friends car whilst the friend is o/s and will also pay him later. A agrees and then buys a another car for himself. A different friend knows that A was selling his car and offers him 2K but A says no because it is sold to B. After about 2 months B tells A that his friend has offered him the car B is borrowing for $2500 and he wants to buy it as it is still 1K under market value and doesn’t want to buy A’s car. A explains to B that he has bought a new car because B agreed to buy A’s car. After a discussion B agrees to take the car and A delivers it to him and later B gives A $100 towards payment. B asks A to wait a while until he has enough money to pay for the car. A is not in a hurry and says okay. After a few more months B’s brother decides to buy a car with B for 17K. B sells the car he bought for $2500 for $2500 and borrows money to buy the 17K car. A finds out about this and asks B when he is going to get his money and B tells him he is trying to sell A’s car. 8 months later A who is very patient gets a message from B who tells him has finally found a buyer who wants the car but A will only receive about $800. A tells B he is not being fair and B offers to put in $200 of his own money. I have both these friends complaining in my ear and rather than make a decision, I’m sitting on the fence and throwing it to some forumites. I’m going to give your comments about both of them to each other so be as harsh and as critical as you like.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I’m not one to hold back with an opinion, so I’ll offer mine![:P]

I think B is doing totally the wrong thing by A. A forewent his ‘sure’ profit of $600 (from the other friend) and seems to have waited close to a year to see any of his money. B has repaid him for this generosity by being a complete b^$^$#d. B originally didn’t want to spend more than $1400, cutting out any profit for A, but then went and spent $2500!! Halloooo! I think at the very least B needs to pay the $1400 total that he agreed to pay.

If my friend did that to me, I doubt I would be that good friends with them anymore, and sure as hell wouldn’t do them any favours again.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of scampushscampush
    @scampush

hey c2,

i totally agree with mel, it’s time B paid up!!

[:)]

Profile photo of scampushscampush
    @scampush

I just have to add ……………

Holy Crap!!

what a drama, I read this post early this morning but wanted to re-read just to get my head around all the machinations going on …

phew, C2 you must be finding it hard to be in the middle.

good luck
    scampush[:D]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi C2,

Easy one.

A is a soft touch and B is a user.

B has cost A $300. Profit could have been made, but the car has been on sold. B owes A a minimum of $300 before profit. (1400-100-800-200). Suggest B agree to pay half the profit also, of a further $300. The user should be the loser.

Formula: A > B, B = negative value, C2 must therefore remain neutral.

Seeya, Phil

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Thank god I’ve got an accountant to do all the maths for me.

Regards

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi All, Thanks for the comments. The strangest part is that it is definitely not B’s character to use people although this situation appears so. As for A being a soft touch normally his character is the opposite. That’s why I couldn’t understand how they both got into this situation. Thus the reason for being a fence sitter.

C2
    “Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.