All Topics / General Property / Is Today Tonight trying to cause a property crash?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

i want interest rates to rise, so that there will be so many hot properties on the market so tha ti can get my hands on them.

dont you guys want it to happen?

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hi richmond!!! *weeeeheeee*

“the increasing dissent in Washington about how they went to war on the basis of a pack of lies”

totally!!!

!!!!!!!!

But I guess that’s what I mean about people finding out the truth too late.
    I guess my problem is more with the wars and stuff. coverage of it, angles, selling it to the public as a good idea.

I’m not saying that the media (there’s that blanket term again, sorry, but i don’t know what else to call it – ) is all bad. i mean, we need it!
    It’s obviously brilliant on a local and community level, like the hospital/cancer kids story you mentioned. it’s also easier to go talk to people about stuff for local issues than it is to check some facts that don’t add up with say George bush, or colin powell.

I also think ACA and TT have their place. I have this friend, she’s found out that – in a nutshell – there are laws to protect the public good -(from chemical poisoning) – they are being broken by corporations – they are not being enforced.

one of her best chances is to take all her evidence to TT or ACA and get the issue publicised. Many issues need publicity to get actions taken. However, of course (the catch 22) is that TT or ACA will only be interested in the story if it’s ‘newsworthy’ – i.e. sensational in some way.

ah well, on we go,

cheers-
    Mini

PS
    yeah interest rates, i don’t mind if they rise. Dolf De Roos bought his first property when interest rates were 27 percent and still made a killing in rent – because of course nobody was buying then…

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Luckyone…

I noticed your observation was ignored back about 3 mile ago with all the discussion re TV etc.

Your calculations are accurate… the error was probably a journo trying to do the maths without a calculator.

I think Richmond’s monitoring another forum tonight. If not I didn’t mean you…

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of PhoenixrisingPhoenixrising
    @phoenixrising

Mini,

I enjoy your posts

To add to your last post aca are doing a story on chemicals in shampoo tonight (fri)

Cheers

Geoff

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

I found the discussion between Richmond and Mini quite entertaining about the relationship between the media and the government. A certain politician (in a far away country with a nice red sun) decided that a good way to get people to spend more money at home was for the media to portray o/seas countries in a negative manner. He actually sent a personal memo to the heads of all TV staions in this country instructing then to do so. Within a couple of weeks nearly every station had documentries regarding mass murders or violent crimes showing during peak time viewing. The strangest part of all was how each station depicted only one different country each. The result of all this was nearly as much impact as SARS.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>The government does not control the media. I can assure you that in the Melb newsroom of 9, we do not give a stuff about government agendas.<<

Who are we kidding Richmond ? Or are you telling us that in the company you are employed by things work differently from the rest of the world ?

Yes, yes, yes, I agree one won’t find some government or big company controller giving specific orders to the media how to deal with a particular situation or controlling for that matter whether or not to run a particular story.

That isn’t how it is done. It is a bit more subtle than that. The editor has absolute editorial control (if that is what you want to believe).

However the editor is very much aware of what management’s outlook is on a particular subject and, unless he doesn’t value his job, one would expect him to fall into line with management’s
    wishes as a matter of course.

It is also not so unbelievable that the editor was handpicked not just based on his skills but also because of his political and pragmatic outlook.

Nor is it hard to imagine that the headhoncho may receive a phonecall from a company suggesting not to run the story or else …………. (our advertising will be moved elsewhere).

Anyone who doubts the above still believes in fairy stories.

As an absurd example let us say that a media magnate’s son goes on a rampage or is a homosexual or is involved in whatever else may be newsworthy. Are you saying Richmond that your organisation under those circumstances wouldn’t kill any such story if it was the son of the proprietor of your company ?

Or, for that matter, do you think that as a matter of course a scandal about a company which is a large advertising client would get prominent exposure or do you think it would either be overlooked or be hidden in some obscure corner of the paper ?

I will give two specific examples of pragmatism taking precedence over desire to publish newsworthy items, one in an overseas country and one in Australia.

In a European country where I lived for many years the partner of the monarch was very busy having sexual relationships outside the marriage even being photographed in compromising situations in a nightclub.

There were plenty of stories with photo’s in the magazines of neighbouring countries. Yet I cannot recall one such newsworthy story appearing in that country’s media.

Some years ago there was a prime minister who was involved in a scandal and a friend of mine who wasn’t very happy about the government’s way of running the country phoned around Canberra speaking to journalists about that story. Amazingly the people he spoke to already knew about it.

How many stories do you think appeared in the press or on TV ?

Yes, you guessed right, none.

I think we better stick to real estate posts guys.
    (though Richmond does deserves the right to reply of course [:D] )

Cheers,

Pisces133

Profile photo of DinoWebDinoWeb
    @dinoweb

TV does influence public opinion. For years it has been telling us there is a property boom, not just in the news, but through the multitude of life style and real estate programs on air.

TV may not have started the boom, but it has certainly thrown a lot of fuel on the fire.

Now it is suggesting that the boom may be over. Rates are rising, markets are “softening”, people are over extended.

TV did not make these things up, just like they didn’t make up the stories about the boom in the first place.

Is there one person on this forum who doesn’t look into their crystal ball and wonder about these exact same things?

If you think you are “smart enough” to see through these TV reports, or that they have no bearing on you, then you are fooling yourself.

To me, suggesting that it is just ratings hype, or poor journalism, misses the point entirely.

You may be smart enough to see through individual stories, but the real message comes from what they say as a group.

Everyone who has invested their money has doubts and fears. This is only natural. These stories will start to reinforce those doubts. The more stories that start to appear, the more doubt will be created, and the more people will listen to their fears.

If the media is starting to suggest that the boom may be over, than I for one will take that warning very seriously.

As the saying goes, there’s no smoke with out fire, and the media is very good at finding smoke.

Dino

“If you don’t know where you are going, every road will take you there.”

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi,

Mini – yay! Some middle ground…

PeterM – again, I can assure you that the media IS NOT controlled by the government, or at least, here at Channel 9, we are not! The only governmental interaction is when their press secretaries get in touch re: a policy launch or something, which we then try and get the for and against view… or if we’re chasing them trying to find out reasons for a budget stuff-up, factional brawling etc etc.

As you said yourself, your example of a media magnate’s son murdering or whatever is absolutely absurd. Of course it would get covered and in a big way… do you mean to tell me you honestly think Channel 9 would not cover a story if Jamie Packer was involved in something like that (not that it would ever happen) Do you not remember us covering the break-ups of his relationships with the likes of Kate Fischer and Jodi Meares in some detail? Channel 9 covering the shocking collapse of One Tel that James Packer had a lot to do with? Mate, it’s all happened and we have covered it! No positive slant, just reporting the facts! Also, who cares if someone’s homosexual… it’s hardly news is it?

Our director of news runs his own race, and doesn’t do stories just to keep the sales department and management happy. There is a reason why we have our newsroom on a separate level of the building and that is to keep the departments well and truly separated. If a big advertising client rang him up and told him not to do a story, he would tell the person in question to get stuffed.

“That isn’t how it is done.”

So you know how it’s done do you Peter? Have you ever say in on an editorial meeting of any kind? Unless you have any sort of inside knowledge on how these things work, than I can’t give you any credibility… I work in this atmosphere every day, and all I can tell you is how it is… because I know how it is and I’m telling people what happens here because I’m so sick of blanket statements bagging the media.

I can’t comment on the alleged scandal involving a Prime Minister, because I don’t know the facts… there are some legalities that come into the reporting of certain issues as I’m sure you know, but it would take too long to go into here. Do you recall the story of the late Jim Cairns (Gough Whitlam’s one time deputy PM) who had an affair with his secretary and ended up getting the sack for it in conjunction with the loans affair? Big story, and it was covered back in the 70s… What about the taped conversation between Andrew Peacock and Jeff Kennett getting stuck into Johnny Howard back in the 80s… that got covered as well, across all sections of the media. To suggest the media is out to protect certain figures in the government is as absurd as your earlier example of the media magnate’s son.

Anyway, I’m just sticking up for me and my colleagues, so I’ll leave it that. You’re entitled to your opinion.

Dino – I agree, the media is good at finding smoke… that’s supposed to be their job isn’t it? And it’s not just the TV that shapes public opinion, it’s radio and papers as well… how else would public opinion be shaped unless the likes of Howard, Crean and the rest went around and door-knocked individually?

Cheers…
    r

Profile photo of PT_BearPT_Bear
    @pt_bear

I had to laugh at the TT stories. They were definitly pushing property as a risky investment in the current times. It was only a month or two ago that they did a very positive story on Steve and his success. It funny how quickly they change their tune.

The second story about the landlord with problem tenants was also amusing. I got the feeling that the landlord was trying to save a buck or two and self manage the property. Having had a problem tenant, I doubt the landlord would have this problem if they’d found a good agent to manage the property.

If these sort of stories, combined with the others circulating in the media (legit or not) serve to scare inexperienced investors and push prices down, that suits me fine. Property becomes more affordable, rentals become scarcer pushing rents up. More +ve cashflow property will become avaiable for those who are prepaired.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>If you think you are “smart enough” to see through these TV reports, or that they have no bearing on you, then you are fooling yourself.
    To me, suggesting that it is just ratings hype, or poor journalism, misses the point entirely.<<

I would say, Dino, that the point you appear to miss is that these scums aren’t interested in the truth so much as in rating grabbing sensationalism which consequently is presented in an unbalanced way.

And of course one can only agree very much with your sentiment that it isn’t facts which move the market so much as people’s perceptions.

Pisces133

Participant
    @minimogul

“And of course one can only agree very much with your sentiment that it isn’t facts which move the market so much as people’s perceptions.”

yeah – it’s like, other economic factors stable (population, economy, etc) there’s one actual economic factor change in interest rates rising quarter of a percent + fearmongering news stories everywhere = buyer confidence slumps, like, 50 percent…

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Heard an interesting quote on radio the other day. Derryn Hinch quoting from one of his mentors I think…

“News is something someone doesn’t want printed. The rest is just unpaid advertising.”

[?]

Oh, and in my dealings with TT, they have always been professional, if not a little rushed. I guess they just have to get a cross section of stories up every night that appeal to their mass target market – hence property followed by shampoo.

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Yeah and did you see that ENJO came out on top of all cleaning products last week.[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Sorry justhad to put that in[:I]

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Leigh

Yes I did notice that.
    Congratulations.

Still can’t find any on this side of the Tasman.

Regards

Participant
    @minimogul

well muppet
    maybe you should get the master franchise then?????
    of enjo in NZ?

or get in at the top level of the pyramid or however it works?

mini

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

MINI

ALWAYS ENTERTAINING !!!! [B)]

KEEP IT UP !![}:)]

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Participant
    @minimogul
    Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Min

More info please!

Regards

Participant
    @minimogul

enjolady would be the one to ask really – but what I know is that the stuff is advertised on TV – but you can only buy it from your local enjo representative. i.e. someone at a level higher than the sales-people is making a killing.

and if you say it’s not in NZ yet, well then you should start it up! presumably even as an enjo seller (i.e. not the master franchise) you also get a cut of what other people sell under you that you enlist? which is how you get other sellers to join up under you? I mean, i don’t really know anything about enjo, but that’s how those MLM things work, isn’t it?

So if enjo is not in NZ yet and you start it up over there you’d make heaps right??

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Guys

quote:

enjolady would be the one to ask really – but what I know is that the stuff is advertised on TV – but you can only buy it from your local enjo representative. i.e. someone at a level higher than the sales-people is making a killing.

Your not wrong there Mini, she was recently on TT as teh 6 mil dollar woman[:D][:D][:D] and she is happy with that[:D] But it is a really fair com structure.

quote:

and if you say it’s not in NZ yet, well then you should start it up! presumably even as an enjo seller (i.e. not the master franchise) you also get a cut of what other people sell under you that you enlist? which is how you get other sellers to join up under you? I mean, i don’t really know anything about enjo, but that’s how those MLM things work, isn’t it?

So if enjo is not in NZ yet and you start it up over there you’d make heaps right??

We are different than most other MLM or party plan companies in that consultants don’t get a % of their recruits sales, we do receive a flat fee per month for each recruit regardless if the recruit goes to number one in the world etc. I like that better because I don’t wont other people knowing about my business.

As for ENJO NZ, my understanding is that it is there just no as well managed ( I might get my buns fried for that). Here is a link to their contact details. http://webnz.co.nz/dsanz/membership/enjo.html

BTW Muppet, did Westan give you your Garage Glove?[;)]

Cheers
    Leigh K

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.