Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Has any of you installed these termite detecting devices, also called in house monitors? I just came across this website http://www.termidtecta.com
    It’s supposed to detect termites at an early stage and they’re faily cheap, $228 for a 30 pack (enough for a 140 m2 house).
    I wonder if this really works.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Interesting post… let me know if you give it a go and whether or not it keeps that hungry ants away.

There is a termite association (no kidding – Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association)

quote:

Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association Ltd represents professional pest managers and promotes the interests of the professional pest management industry.

Perhaps a call (1800 252 772) to these guys to see what they think might be worth it.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Thanks I will do! The property we just bought doesn’t have antcaps, so I thought it might be worth to install these termidtecta thingies if they’re recommended by the termite association.
    I’ll let you know what they said as soon as I find out.

Participant
    @celivia

Oops Steve, I forgot to mention that these termidtecta devices do NOT keep termites away, they’re only detecting them, just want to make that clear.
    Apparantly they’re made of a kind of timber that the termites find much yummier than any other kind of timber, so when you’ve got termites they will go for these devices first and then start on your house, ie the devices are the entree and your house the main meal. SO if you keep checking these monitors every so often and they’ve been eaten you’ve detected the termites really early- before they’ve done any damage to the house.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Would it not be cheaper to have a pest control inspection Celivia ?

Pisces133

Participant
    @celivia

Hi PeterM, yes we had a pestinspeciton done, but I’m not sure how frequently you should have them done. Once a year? Anyway, these devises work indefinitely I believe or until they’ve been eaten LOL.
    On the other hand, a pestinpsector also looks for other pests, borers etc and these devices ONLY detect termites. So I’m just trying to find out if it would be worth it.
    I have emailed the aepma for advice and am waiting for their reply.

Apart from termites and borers, what other pests that can do damage to your property should we be aware of?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.