All Topics / General Property / Using the FHOG for investment properties

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Captain_PicardCaptain_Picard
    Participant
    @captain_picard

I had been told that the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) could only be used for buying your own home, so I basically gave up on it for using it as a partial deposit on my first investment property. However, yesterday, I met with my bank home loan lender, and he basically said that the FHOG would be fine as most of the deposit, along with, say $3000 for legals. Whats the go with this?

Captain Picard

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you are OK with fraud then go for it.

I can’t believe a bank employee would encourage this.

Read the rulings at http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au. The FHOG is clearly designed for people buying their homes.

Sorry if I come across a little harsh – just annoyed at people who encourage others to take financial risks like this. You are the one who carries the responsibility – not him!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Picard…

I suggest you talk to a lender that knows what they are talking about. It is a FHOG not FIPG.

You were always right.

Cheers

Pte. Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Captain_PicardCaptain_Picard
    Participant
    @captain_picard

Thanks for your comments guys. It looks like my deposit will take a while longer to save up, as I have no equity.

Captain Picard

Profile photo of silverbullet77silverbullet77
    @silverbullet77

The recommended website is down so not sure but I did hear a story…

Buy unit with tenant on 10 or 11 month lease to go, take rent for this period and then move in before 12months is up.

I do not know the legalities of this strategy and it may well be fraudulent as well. Will wait for website to come back online.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

That is OK. You just need to move in before the 12 months is up.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.