All Topics / Value Adding / [moved] PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT CHECKLIST

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of SnowgumSnowgum
    @snowgum

Just wanted to let you know of an interesting website I found where you can get a free copy of a ‘development checklist’ which is designed to help people interested in breaking into the development game. Web address is http://www.smartpropertydevelopment.com.au

Hope it helps!![:D]

Snowgum

Profile photo of bribiebribie
    Participant
    @bribie

Thanks Snowgum.

bribie

Profile photo of Agent007Agent007
    Participant
    @agent007

Thanks Snowgum.

Saw this guy’s article in a recent issue of API.

One problem with his chekclist…. he reloes a lot on an architect/draftsman to handle council application.

Watch out! That strategy can cost you $1,000’s more. Many in my home town rip developers off! Just today one lady told me her architect in Port Lincoln was going to charge her $12,000 fo rsomething that a project builder includes as part of there contract (only $1,200 down payment with the builder I’m contracted to).

Maybe this guy only does multi million $ projects anyway… hmmmm…

Cheers,

David Paxton
    “You Only Live Twice”

Profile photo of DraftyDrafty
    @drafty

THANKS FOR THE LINK SNOW GUM
    I ALSO HAVE SEEN ARTICLES IN VARIOUS PROPERTY INVESTMENT MAGS
    AGENT 007…IS $12K A RIP OFF IF YOU GOING TO MAKE 150K? POSSIBLY MORE?
    MANY TIMES FOR CERTAIN DEVELOPMENTS YOU CANNOT APPROACH A PROJECT BUILDER AND THUS HAVE TO ENGAGE AN ARCHITECT OR DRAFTSPERSON.
    WHAT IF YOU WNATED TO SELL THE SITE AS DA APPROVED? A PROJECT BUILDER WOULD CHARGE A DESIGN FEE SOMEWHERE IN THAT VICINITY TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LOSE OF WORK – ie. THE BUILDING – WHICH IS WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR MARGINS.
    THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER AND I AGREE THAT SOMETIMES IT WOULD BE BETTER TO ENGAGE A PROJECT BUILDER…IT IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST OPTION HOWEVER.
    BTW…I’M A DRAFTSPERSON, I DON’T OVERCHARGE, I PROVIDE GOOD SERVICE TO MY CLIENTS AND AS FAR AS JOBS ARE CONCERNED, I’M PAID WHAT I’M WORTH.
    NOT MEANING ANY DISRESPECT TO YOU IN ANY WAY.
    CHEERS
    DAMIEN

Profile photo of KewlDudeKewlDude
    @kewldude

Hi Damien,

Just a quick word of advice…. I know we as ‘draftees’ (I’m actually a drafting manager now though) use cap’s lock when drawing plans, but when posting to forums, sending e-mails etc. others view writing in capitals as ‘shouting’ or being angry!! I found this out the hard way – some people I was dealing with became very upset with me over it, which I found a little bizarre, but there you go!!

Anyway 007, I pretty much have to agree with Damien here, builders still make the fees up in their margins, design / drafting work & council applications cost money, and builders need to cover their costs. It’s just that including these items in a contract is not as ‘in your face’ as a $12,000 upfront fee.

Cheers
    Kym

Profile photo of SnowgumSnowgum
    @snowgum

Has anyone actually attended a ‘Smart Property Development’ course or any other course associated with property development. If so, were they a worthwhile investment???

Snowgum

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

quote:

Hi Damien,
    Anyway 007, I pretty much have to agree with Damien here, builders still make the fees up in their margins, design / drafting work & council applications cost money, and builders need to cover their costs. It’s just that including these items in a contract is not as ‘in your face’ as a $12,000 upfront fee.

Cheers
    Kym

I must agree with draftie and Kym. I have been involved in property development for over 15years
    and I would not leave a development application to a builder to get through council. Of course the cost must be built into their fees but more importantly it is a diificult process and needs expert attention.

Either your architect or draftsman shoul dhandle it if you don’t have the experience or better still a town planner. They are professionals dealing with professionals of their own background at the council and they are very good at expediting permits.

There seems to be a great interest in property development so I would like to make an offer to members of this forum. I would be prepared to host a free discussion session if enough Melbourne based people are interested. NO cost no obligation – nothing to sell.
    My company is currently involved in over 50 individual deveopments around Melbourne from dual occupancies to a 22 townhouse project. (Mainly 4 – 6 unit projects)
    I would be happy to sit over a cup of coffee one night with interested forum members and discuss property development and give the benefit of my partners and my combined 60 years experience.

If there is enough interest we can organise a time – email me personally – [email protected]

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties
    http://www.metropole.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.