All Topics / General Property / Duplicating properties through capital growth

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Profile photo of wizzzardwizzzard
    @wizzzard

Maybe I am a bit naive – being new to this investing gig. I have found that networking and thus relationships with bankers, accountants, RE agents (and not forgetting tennants!!) are all a matter of personality and viewpoints. This is a fact of life no matter where you go.[:)]

If someone does not share your vision – find someone who does! Much more satisfaction and greater achievments are possible this way.[8D]

Words From the Wizzzard[8D][8D][8D]

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Fudge & Wizzard…

Wizzard….Absolutely…Like minded people for all of us, or it won’t work out in the long term.

Fudge…you got it…like a credit card..no interest until you use it, but there when you want it. Let me have a look at your spreadsheet please?

Bil

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

C2, if the valuation comes in at less than the one that’s there already – which has happened, I have to leave it as is. My banker did not say – hey, you better pay us some money to top it up – thankfully.

Costs of refinancing can vary. If you are staying with the same lender and aren’t changing a fixed rate loan, it can range from $0 to $600ish (brokers would be able to answer better than me on this exact point). It’s up to you if you want to pay this out of your pocket, but it’s always been deducted out of my loan at settlement. It just means you have that much less cash in hand i suppose.

If you do have a fixed rate, like I did in my example where one loan was $143.1K, and i got an extra $32K. Same bank, same terms, just a ‘2nd’ mortgage against that same property. So ‘new’ loan fees rather than refinance (plus MORE paperwork which i’m beginning to hate).

My bank manager of 5 years took off to the gold coast this year which was a bugger, but also good in a way that now I don’t feel bad if I go to a broker, who can offer me a better range of deals than just the one bank. If you’re having trouble with continuity of people, and differing opinions, I would find a broker you trust and use them for everything.

Josh

If I just spent the money rather than investing it I would be negatively geared. Rents certainly haven’t risen to keep up with values.

So if I’m buying another property, I calculate my return based on borrowing the entire purchase price, and so rent has to beat those costs for me to proceed. As Bill said, I’ll have it in a Line Of Credit, and so if I haven’t found anything to buy, it will be there and available, but won’t be costing me any interest.

I hope I’ve answered everybody’s questions.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Fudge and Broz :o)

I used 100% equity to purchase a new property, but then I made what was possibly a mistake. Just after I bought the second one, I sold the first one. Now I have to pay back the bank all but 80% of the second one- which I didn’t want to do. So the “duplicating properties using equity” as in ‘no money down’ approach, really relies on you not selling the property with equity in it until you’ve developed equity in the new one.

Or something like that [:O]

kay

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Mel, I’ve recently been in contact with someone and are heading towards using a broker on my next deals.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Interesting points you all make, I hope all the paperwork doesn’t get too much for me either, considering i will be becoming an accountant so either i’ll be used to it, or i’ll be completly sick of it

Hopefully the first one[;)]

Fudge111[:D]

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Also guys and gals

i don’t really see the point in getting an extra LOC all the time, i mean can’t you just use your equity to get a 100% loan for the next property, wouldn’t that be easier?

Fudge111[:)]

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Also guys and gals

i don’t really see the point in getting an extra LOC all the time, i mean can’t you just use your equity to get a 100% loan for the next property, wouldn’t that be easier?

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi F&B I think the difference between using the equtiy and getting LOC is that the LOC can be used without tying up the property as security. When using the equity you run the risk of cross-collaterlisation a mistake I’ve made in the past. I’m sure others can explain it a little better.

C2

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Yeh C2,

I came quite new and i need someone to run through cross-collaterisation with me, so if anyone can help, it’d be most appreciated

Fudge111[:)][:I][;)]

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Basically it’s when the lender ties up the properties together as security for each other. Example your PPOR has equity but is used as security for your IP’s. The banks love doing this.

C2

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

So basically the bank doesn’t want to lend you a certain amount of money just on your income, so they say “if you give us this property you already own as security then we will lend you the money”

Is that pretty much what it means?

Fudge111[:I][8D]

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Yes.

C2

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

thanks C2
    one more question
    can the same property be used for security on two different loans?

Fudge111[8D]

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Yes, the same property can be used as security for different loans and properties. Most of the lenders have different criteria on how many times you can use the same property and it can also depend on how much equity the property has. My understanding of this is limited and maybe one of the brokers on this forum can explain it better for you.

C2

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Cool, thanks again C2, you’ve been a great help.

Can anyone else give me some info on how many times the same property can be used as security for different loans?

Is it to do with value compared with loan amount?

Regards

Fudge111[:)][:P]

Profile photo of craigccraigc
    Participant
    @craigc

Hi All
    In relation to loan costs i.e. establisment fees. I have a setup with the NAB in rural NSW, I pay then $350.00 per year this includes all ongoing charges i.e. check fees, establishment fees, 2 cards and a hole lot more. this is paid once a year and I can apply for as many loans I wish and there is no more cost. This only applies if you have more than $150k tied up with them. This may seem to some as alot of money to pay. But if you sit down & add up what you pay the bank every year it works out better value. ( well it do’s in my case.)

Cheers
    Craigc

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hi craigc

do you have the same property as security for a number of different loans?

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi F&B, CraigC, Most banks have a similar product and it has various names such as wealth package(which bank). I think the initial amount to be owed is 250K and can go as low as 150K, before the package cancels out. What happens after that I don’t know? Maybe one of the brokers here can shed some light?

C2

Profile photo of craigccraigc
    Participant
    @craigc

G’day F&B
    Yes I do have the same property as sercurity on different loans. But you must remember that every ones finacial situation is not the same. My bank manager takes into account what I have done in the previous years, he knows that I will not invest in a dud. ( well at least I havent yet)

Regards
    Craigc

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.